• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    Does anyone have any recommendations on shooting training programs? I'm talking about a program that features a regimen for live and dry fire training. I'm looking at the Michael Seeklander programs, but curious what others have used and would recommend. Feedback for both defensive and competitive shooting would be appreciated. I want to make improving more of a priority for 2021.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Of the stuff out there, Seeklanders is probably some of the best. It is well balanced and organized. He looks at it from both the competitive and defensive nature. There is good stuff out there from Ben Stoeger and Steve Anderson but those are strictly competition oriented. What is your experience level? Do you have any prior formal training?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have started watching Mike Seeklander's live sessions lately; dry fire stuff like reloads, draws, changing from stronghand to support hand, table pickups, etc. I also spend time on John Lovell's youtube channel for overall mindset, equipment and techniques.

Geauga Firearms is another youtube channel I watch. He's LEO and I like his balance and his wife is nice to look at, lol.

There are a lot of guys out there. Just start searching and watch/listen to them for awhile. You will see which ones you like.

At home I use Ben Stoeger's book, Dry Fire Reloaded to practice dry fire drills but mostly I'm working on draw and red dot acquisition right now. Steps. One at a time.

That said, I do all the above as an addendum to live training. I have limited funds as most and probably even more limited ammo but I try to attend a training class of some sort 3-4 times per year. ACT and Revere's Riders are two that have taken multiple classes with. Bob Whaley teaches good defensive courses. Just realize that some of what a trainer like Bob teaches doesn't easily transfer to competition. At least as far as rules are concerned.

And I'd like to one day get some training from Cedartop who has replied above me. Check him out for me and let me know if he's any good.;):)

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    Of the stuff out there, Seeklanders is probably some of the best. It is well balanced and organized. He looks at it from both the competitive and defensive nature. There is good stuff out there from Ben Stoeger and Steve Anderson but those are strictly competition oriented. What is your experience level? Do you have any prior formal training?
    I don't have any formal training, but do intend to at some point. I've been shooting guns for fun for the last 18 years or so but most of that was just stationary target shooting at paper. 2 years ago I tried USPSA for the first time and was hooked. A little over a year ago I recieved my initial classification in USPSA Production division as a low C (~42%). Starting around February or so, I became intentional with my dry fire and live fire training. I try to do dry fire 4-5 times a week, working on something different each day. For example one day of trigger control drills, one day of draw stroke, one day of transitions, etc. I've noticed an improvement and have risen to ~57% in USPSA Production. I have a couple of the Stoeger books and have used those to craft my practice. I also have Seeklander's training drills book. I'm just trying to put it all together in a disciplined training regimen now. Was just curious if anyone had used someone's program or if people just tend to create their own.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    I have started watching Mike Seeklander's live sessions lately; dry fire stuff like reloads, draws, changing from stronghand to support hand, table pickups, etc. I also spend time on John Lovell's youtube channel for overall mindset, equipment and techniques.

Geauga Firearms is another youtube channel I watch. He's LEO and I like his balance and his wife is nice to look at, lol.

There are a lot of guys out there. Just start searching and watch/listen to them for awhile. You will see which ones you like.

At home I use Ben Stoeger's book, Dry Fire Reloaded to practice dry fire drills but mostly I'm working on draw and red dot acquisition right now. Steps. One at a time.

That said, I do all the above as an addendum to live training. I have limited funds as most and probably even more limited ammo but I try to attend a training class of some sort 3-4 times per year. ACT and Revere's Riders are two that have taken multiple classes with. Bob Whaley teaches good defensive courses. Just realize that some of what a trainer like Bob teaches doesn't easily transfer to competition. At least as far as rules are concerned.

And I'd like to one day get some training from Cedartop who has replied above me. Check him out for me and let me know if he's any good.;):)
    Thanks. I do spend a lot of time watching different content on YouTube. I do intend to take some formal training at some point as well. The Stoeger books have been key in my current training regimen. Just always looking for more.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Was just curious if anyone had used someone's program or if people just tend to create their own.
    I don't create my own but just work on the fundamental drills. At my stage, I see no point in trying to get creative. I also have limited space to practice so setting up COF's with movement isn't a reality.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don't have any formal training, but do intend to at some point. I've been shooting guns for fun for the last 18 years or so but most of that was just stationary target shooting at paper. 2 years ago I tried USPSA for the first time and was hooked. A little over a year ago I recieved my initial classification in USPSA Production division as a low C (~42%). Starting around February or so, I became intentional with my dry fire and live fire training. I try to do dry fire 4-5 times a week, working on something different each day. For example one day of trigger control drills, one day of draw stroke, one day of transitions, etc. I've noticed an improvement and have risen to ~57% in USPSA Production. I have a couple of the Stoeger books and have used those to craft my practice. I also have Seeklander's training drills book. I'm just trying to put it all together in a disciplined training regimen now. Was just curious if anyone had used someone's program or if people just tend to create their own.
    As a beginning competitive shooter I used Seeklanders program. Before I got sidelined last year I was using Stoeger and Anderson to try to move from B to A and of course do better at matches. During the whole thing still trying to keep some defensive minded work in there. It sounds like you are on the right track and improving.

Top Bottom