• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    My nephew has recently voiced interest in learning to shoot. His father has guns but has zero experience outside of mandatory Illinois ccw course. (Chicago suburbs),. myself am a competent shooter but have no formal training in the past 5 years and could use a refresher.

My question-
    What is a good place to check out for training? 1-2 hrs radius of.... Chicago preferably not Illinois..

I'm thinking a carbine 1 course, but a pistol course would suffice as well.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Not THAT much farther outside an hour to get to the far NW burb of McHenry.

There's some FINE training that happens near there.

Greybeard Actual / Matt Little sometimes does, Mick Schuch / Carry Trainer, Somtimes Practically Tactical.

Little uses this range: sometimes - http://www.alpharange.com/

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    The person that taught the course to his dad most likely teaches other firearm courses.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The person that taught the course to his dad most likely teaches other firearm courses.
    I wouldn't know in his particular case, but don't count on it. The people in our area who teach CPL courses through the gun clubs, pretty much only teach that and sometimes hunter safety. Thank goodness because for the most part they are weak sauce at best

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Perhaps slightly beyond your 1-2 hour max travel time, but Revere's Riders offers pistol, rifle and carbine courses in central Indiana: https://www.reveresriders.org/events/
    Can’t go wrong with this choice. The money you save on the actual course/s will cover hotel & gas even if it’s outside your 2 hr radius plus add to uncle/nephew bonding. Win/Win though whatever choice you opt for.

Sitcomdad83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2021
    Indiana
    My nephew has recently voiced interest in learning to shoot. His father has guns but has zero experience outside of mandatory Illinois ccw course. (Chicago suburbs),. myself am a competent shooter but have no formal training in the past 5 years and could use a refresher.

My question-
    What is a good place to check out for training? 1-2 hrs radius of.... Chicago preferably not Illinois..

I'm thinking a carbine 1 course, but a pistol course would suffice as well.
    Malc training Institute has some good affordable training I've took my 17 year old son with me to the basic handgun course to get him started.

Top Bottom