Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Copy the url of the video.

Go to the thread you're making.
    On the screen should be a B, and an italics I, TT, etc.
    Go to the right of that, to the image of a picture.
    To the right of that is three vertical dots.
    Click on the dots.
    A sub menu pulls up
    There is a face, and next to it is an image of two pics.
    Click on that.
    Paste the url into the provided box.
    Click on continue

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I "think" that on #1 that vapor cone is essentially a visual representation of the sound barrier. As speed increases that anomaly moves more rearward on the fuselage. It's when the aircraft separates from the cone that the sonic boom occurs and they break the sound barrier.

This is open to very loose interpretation as it's been too many years since aerodynamics 101 and being around them on a regular basis.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    As an Aviation Ordnanceman having spent much time on flight deck and flight line, #3 takes the cake. Guy had some balls. Never flinched.
    I agree. I few inches less and he would have been dead right there.

The KC-135 low pass was impressive. All those are one bird strike away from disaster.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    As an A-4 tech going back a few years those are some great memories. On of my favorites is when we had a couple F-111s break the sound barrier at low level over us at 29 Palms. Great Memories!!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I was able to experience something similar to this. When a B-1B bomber flew over it looked like 50 feet over us but I'm sure it was much higher.

We all stood up and cheered.

The one that flew over use was full afterburner it was a powerful moment. You airforce guys are probably use to it.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    We were in the middle of an Operational Readiness Exercise at Mt Home AFB, ID. Was working on an F-111 engine when the alarm sounded and five mechanics dogpiled into a three man bunker.
    Was looking up through my gas mask when a B-52 came over in a high speed pass at 200 feet with the bomb bay doors open.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    When I lived in Key West a buddy of mine was a RAN in a Vigilante. He arranged for me to be on site at Boca Chica for the end of one of their training missions. I headed out to base one evening and went to a hangar where they did a brief safety review then loaded up 6 or 7 of us in a van and we headed out to the runway.

It was well after dark when the fun began; the runway was dark save for the meatball we were standing next to as the training flight of 4 aircraft came in and did repeated touch and go landings. Each one did 2 or 3 before completing the mission and the dark touch and go's were training for night ops on a carrier so we were literally 20 or so feet away from the wingtips as they went to full afterburner for their fly arounds. I know I've never seen or experienced anything cooler in my life!

During the pattern a set of landing lights appeared on final approach out of sequence; seems the local airline had a flight coming in on the Navy runway except that it was darkened, about 5 miles from the civil airport and at a 90 degree angle to KW International. Pretty obvious why the locals called it Air Sometimes in spite of Air Sunshine being painted on the fuselages.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Modern aircraft are undoubtedly impressive.

Nonetheless, I still tend to get more excited when I come across a bi-plane or a WWII era military plane.

Top Bottom