• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I need a good tape measure. I've had milwaukee, dewalt, Stanley... harbor freight... are there any that hold up and don't suck?

Seems the locking mechanism stops working after a while or they do not stand out all that well (Milwaukee)...

16 to 25 foot is the range I am looking for.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I like my stanley fat max, however they only stand out about 3' before bending. About the same for the craftsman.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I use a Stanley Leverlock 25' 40+ hour per week. The locking mechanism works fine, it's when the paper thin blade gets a nick in the edge and lays my index finger open when retracting...................oh the profanity!
    They've all dropped in quality and if you're looking for something that wont fail mechanically, you're gonna need a seamstress tape.
    Seriously though, if ya find one that doesn't suck, please share.
    Good luck

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I rock a stanley as well. Never had any issues with it locking.

edit: just checked and it is a stanley powerlock

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I’ve had the best luck with Stanley as well but they all start sucking after awhile. I’m looking to replace mine soon, so hopefully someone has found something better.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Lufkin has always performed best for me.

I also like Lufkin, never been that brand oriented but my last couple have been Lufkin and they seem to be holding up well. One thing I have figured out, I don't need a metric scale on one side of the tape for me that side is un-usable. Too many times I will want to mark on a certain side of the tape but that will be the metric side. Jim.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have an older Stanley that stays in the box until needed. I use the freebies from Harbor Freight when out and about. Keep a few in various tool bags/boxes, and don't worry so much when they end up in the mud or under a tire (oops). I don't use these tools for a living, so probably to treat them as well as I should.

It is pretty funny that my DAD's tape measure is still going strong, but anything I've purchased is crap.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Have a 30' Stanley I have used for twenty odd years. Drove over it about five years ago and still working fine. Case is cracked, but functions as it always has. Probably will replace it soon as the end clip is linda bent and won't stay on a long board.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I kinda think the difference is in when they were purchased. Probably the stuff made today is mostly ****, even from some of the best brands. Things were built to last back in the day.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Reviews seem to be all over the place... one says milwaukee is the best. Others say dewalt and fat max... amazon reviews are taken w/a grain of salt.

There is one i think i am going to try though, lufkin black widow or shockforce, reviewers say it is easier to read in low light conditions which is worth a shot.. often times at work lighting isnt the best.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Reviews seem to be all over the place... one says milwaukee is the best. Others say dewalt and fat max... amazon reviews are taken w/a grain of salt.

There is one i think i am going to try though, lufkin black widow or shockforce, reviewers say it is easier to read in low light conditions which is worth a shot.. often times at work lighting isnt the best.
    Get back to us in 20 years and let us know if it lasts. :):

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I am extremely tough on tools. At work im the guy if he has got it... it lasts. Tools that are not basic wrenches or screwdrivers are gonna fail if you use them on a daily basis everday for a living. Ive broke many tape measures and lean to milwaukee right now because when I snap the tip off I take it back to Home Depot and they give me another one free.

Check out these channel locks i broke the jaws off. It happens when they are used and abused.

20181228_133207.jpg

Top Bottom