Took the wife out shooting ( shooting as a family )

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    Yesterday we took the short ride to Kingsbury wildlife to do a little shooting.
    We hade two new AR platforms to sight in and we also took her TX22 and a few hundred rounds.
    The uppers were both budget Bear Creek Arsenal Gen 2 side chargers, both 16".
    The first was (totally new to me) a 7.62x39 with a 1/10 twist "heavy barrel.
    First shot was on paper and within three more shots we had them all in the center ring at 50 yards.
    The second was in 5.56 16" and an M4 profile.
    First shot was in the rings and by the fifth round the wife (running the spotting scope) said "time to leave" !
    I responded by saying WHY ! she said I hit the bullseye and so it wouldn't get any better LOL.
    We then went to the pistol side and She did all the shooting from then on.
    She wasn't hitting paper at first so I slowed her down and talked about sight picture, the next shot was close to the middle X , she went on to hit all three sticky red dots I had affixed to the target and had a huge grin on her face.

Usually its my Daughter and I at the range with my various firearms and her with her Ruger SR22 pistol.
    We have the most fun and bonding time at the range that we do with any of our Dad and Daughter times.

My son is married with four kids so... range time just isn't in the schedule for him.

What's the point of all of this ??? You want to preserve the 2nd amendment ?
    Get a non shooter hooked and into the sport ! or Hunting or...
    Great Family times are waiting for you too.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    My wife qualifies twice a year!

Its more of a task than fun for her. We shoot AR, Shotgun then pistol. She recently switched to a G45 from a G19 so we did a few visits to make sure it worked well.

Being prior Military to her its just a training task. But she loads my mags and can clean her own s##t.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Went shooting with my sister a couple times.. I took my M16A1 clone. I let my sister try it.
    She told me her boyfriend in Texas always gives her the gun that kicks the most and that this better not be another one of those. (Ugh, why do people do this) I told her don't worry it won't be. She was leary at first but liked it a lot and said it didn't kick at all and the spring in the stock was the loudest part of the gun. (with ear pro on anyway)

Thankfully by this time Brownells came out with their retro line, and she bought one of those.
    20 inch ARs I maintain are one of the best things to introduce a new shooter to after 22LR.

Only other thing was a brain fart by myself, I am so used to shooting outside and wearing an M1 steel pot that when I loaded the mag for her. I instinctively went thunk the mag against my head to make sure the rounds were all seated, and popped my unhelmeted noggin. Ouch..

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I also do not understand why people give the heaviest recoiling firearm to novices, it is like they realy don't want them to enjoy shooting. No problem if they want to shoot the big guns but will work up to it and they will be told what to expect. Jim.

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    P.S.
    It was the wife's second time shooting ever.
    She didn't grow up around firearms with the exception of a grandfather that duck hunted.

I hope all those new gun owners out there find a helping hand getting into the shooting as a sport while learning to defend themselves !

All I'm saying is that we need to be out there as positive roll models for our sport as well as for our God given rights.

In case anyone has forgotten, Shooting is fun.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Well done. I'm going to introduce my son (going in to 1st grade) to a 10/22 charger this fall. I've already shown him the gun and explained how it works several times. He asks me about once a week to "go look at the 22."

I introduced him to squirrel hunting last year. For the first time he saw me kill something, and we ate it later that day.

I think he will be hooked once he gets to shoot his own gun.

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    Well done. I'm going to introduce my son (going in to 1st grade) to a 10/22 charger this fall. I've already shown him the gun and explained how it works several times. He asks me about once a week to "go look at the 22."

I introduced him to squirrel hunting last year. For the first time he saw me kill something, and we ate it later that day.

I think he will be hooked once he gets to shoot his own gun.
    10/22 was one of my first guns too.
    My dad took us shooting nearly every Sunday afternoon.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My wife love my AR, but she doesn't shoot much, so it's usually my son and I (when he can get the time off) ...gosh that sounds like me 10 years ago, 60-70 hour work weeks then...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yesterday we took the short ride to Kingsbury wildlife to do a little shooting.
    We hade two new AR platforms to sight in and we also took her TX22 and a few hundred rounds.
    The uppers were both budget Bear Creek Arsenal Gen 2 side chargers, both 16".
    The first was (totally new to me) a 7.62x39 with a 1/10 twist "heavy barrel.
    First shot was on paper and within three more shots we had them all in the center ring at 50 yards.
    The second was in 5.56 16" and an M4 profile.
    First shot was in the rings and by the fifth round the wife (running the spotting scope) said "time to leave" !
    I responded by saying WHY ! she said I hit the bullseye and so it wouldn't get any better LOL.
    We then went to the pistol side and She did all the shooting from then on.
    She wasn't hitting paper at first so I slowed her down and talked about sight picture, the next shot was close to the middle X , she went on to hit all three sticky red dots I had affixed to the target and had a huge grin on her face.
    Usually its my Daughter and I at the range with my various firearms and her with her Ruger SR22 pistol.
    We have the most fun and bonding time at the range that we do with any of our Dad and Daughter times.
    My son is married with four kids so... range time just isn't in the schedule for him.
    What's the point of all of this ??? You want to preserve the 2nd amendment ?
    Get a non shooter hooked and into the sport ! or Hunting or...
    Great Family times are waiting for you too.
    Fun memories are reflected in positive attitudes....glad she had so much fun!
    I once picked up an older Ruger SP101 in .22lr...and the wife quickly 'stole' it for herself...(I have to ask her to share!)
    I have used that revolver to teach all of our kids how to shoot safely, accurately, and responsibly...probably one of the best purchases I ever did!

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    To add to my story today I took our Pastor out to the range.
    First off: Don't talk while taking your picture LOL !
    We had a blast (pun intended) shooting the 7.62x39 I assembled a few months back and then shot my Rough Rider with its never before used Magnum cylinder and a few hundred 22Lr too.
    The Kingsbury range was full of shooters today, the rangemaster said it was the biggest weekday crowd he had seen.

Alright you cranky old antisocial people, take someone shooting !!!

Attachments

• Pastor Kurt Range day.jpg
      Pastor Kurt Range day.jpg
      458.7 KB · Views: 3
    Top Bottom