Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    UNFIRED GUNS YOU NEVER SHOOT!

Anything pre-64 Winchester

Colt (old) Snake guns

Colt Peacemakers

S&W revolvers pre-82 (pinned and recessed)

Probably a few more...

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I would do my best to verify the "never fired" claim and if I though it was I would put it on GB for about 1000 to see if I could find a collector.. Looking at the pic it might very well be true.. Someone buying a gun and never firing it is not unheard of. Just my .02

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Test fired by Smith at the factory I bet, I used to have many Smith autos back when they introduced many a model in the 80’s an X “Fresno CA” PD Mdl 59 my first.
    That was BG ( before Glock) and I got rid of them all.
    My son has my 5906 now, but I had at one time a 39/639/59/5903/5906 and others of that line.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Picked up from my local store that was sold to them. The story goes "dad" bought it new for self defense but didn't really care for guns and never shot it, son inherited it and just wanted to get rid of it.
    Personally I love the "old stock" look of when it has every piece of paper it came with, wax paper, cleaning kit still in the flimsy plastic and the 2nd mag appears to never have even been inserted into the magwell.

She's an absolutely stunning Smith and Wesson 5906 stainless in 9mm. Serial dates to 1989. As far as I can tell there isn't a scratch internally or carbon anywhere. There's bits of the old oil/grease everywhere on the edges of everything. I'm no expert of course and it very well could've had a few mags through it and just really well taken care of.

Though the 5906 isn't as iconic looking from afar like let's say a Beretta 92, it still gives me memories of watching Lethal Weapon with my father and now later seeing that recognizable profile.

I am not a collector of sorts, I buy guns because I like them. I shoot them, and shoot them alot when I'm able. Is there any merit to leaving this one untouched? Or any gun under a certain pricepoint or rarity? On a good day it's not worth tons of money of course (~$500-600).

View attachment 259148

Is this what Murtaugh carried as the backup to his 4" Smith M19? If so, SHOOT IT! First, yell "Riggs!" Then mag dump. :ar15:Actually, shoot it no matter what. If in unfired condition it's a $500-$600 gun...to me that's now "worth" leaving unfired, ya know?

Have always wantedbto shoot one of these Smiths. Good rep, pretty affordable, not bad looking.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    Is this what Murtaugh carried as the backup to his 4" Smith M19? If so, SHOOT IT! First, yell "Riggs!" Then mag dump. :ar15:Actually, shoot it no matter what. If in unfired condition it's a $500-$600 gun...to me that's now "worth" leaving unfired, ya know?

Have always wantedbto shoot one of these Smiths. Good rep, pretty affordable, not bad looking.
    You're 100% right. I must have watched the movies 100 times. I've decided just to shoot it and enjoy it already. Just a cool gun from the 90s that I don't think gets a ton of love but for whatever reason it stuck with me

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There are some firearms, usually very rare, very specialized and high end that become collectable pretty quick. Some lower end firearms like a Stevens Crackshot in mint or unfired condition may become desirable to romantic collectors over the course of 80 or more years.

The 5906 was a very solid, long lasting firearm. I worked for a man thought bought a few dozen of them as Law Enforcement trade ins. I did well with mine. They are not specialized, not unique, and were sold in large numbers on government contracts, so they are not rare. I do not think we will live long enough to see the day when they have collector value, even in unfired condition.

Shoot it, enjoy it, and if you get tired of it, the next purchaser will pay going value for a quality, used 9mm.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'd say keep it. The 3rd gen smiths have slowly been gaining since I bought my 4506 in 2012 for 515. Having a complete box and papers adds to the value for 3rd gens.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I picked up a 4506 that appears to have not been shot. I feel your frustration, I have not shot it. But prolly will. Just haven’t yet due to the nagging part of me opening the box and undoing the wax paper...saying “it isn’t time”.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I picked up a 4506 that appears to have not been shot. I feel your frustration, I have not shot it. But prolly will. Just haven’t yet due to the nagging part of me opening the box and undoing the wax paper...saying “it isn’t time”.
    Keep er clean at least

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Great 45 platform!

Give 'er some rounds.

Unless you holster the gun, clean too aggressively, toss it around or put 10,000 rounds through it, you are not going to impact resale measurably. IMnsHO,

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    I’d say to oil it up and shoot it. I’ve had two 5906’s, both were good shooting guns, a little heavy but still got the job done. I passed both of them along to my sons to enjoy.

Top Bottom