• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    Picked up from my local store that was sold to them. The story goes "dad" bought it new for self defense but didn't really care for guns and never shot it, son inherited it and just wanted to get rid of it.
    Personally I love the "old stock" look of when it has every piece of paper it came with, wax paper, cleaning kit still in the flimsy plastic and the 2nd mag appears to never have even been inserted into the magwell.

She's an absolutely stunning Smith and Wesson 5906 stainless in 9mm. Serial dates to 1989. As far as I can tell there isn't a scratch internally or carbon anywhere. There's bits of the old oil/grease everywhere on the edges of everything. I'm no expert of course and it very well could've had a few mags through it and just really well taken care of.

Though the 5906 isn't as iconic looking from afar like let's say a Beretta 92, it still gives me memories of watching Lethal Weapon with my father and now later seeing that recognizable profile.

I am not a collector of sorts, I buy guns because I like them. I shoot them, and shoot them alot when I'm able. Is there any merit to leaving this one untouched? Or any gun under a certain pricepoint or rarity? On a good day it's not worth tons of money of course (~$500-600).

20230228_235850.jpg

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    It’s worthless, just give it to me and I’ll dispose of it for you… ;)

But for realz though, shoot that thing! Guns are happiest when being used, and it would be a pity for you not to enjoy it some. :)

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    It's in excellent condition, but unfired ? Hard to make that claim unless you know that for a fact.
    Clean her up and run it. At least you can claim she's a good shooter if/when you sell or trade it.

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    My father in law had a Browning BDM which appears very similar in design and function. It was his favorite auto loader to shoot.

Personally, I’d shoot it and take care of it to last a lifetime.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    It's a tool. Burn some ammo. Thank your Dad. He owned quality tools. Thank your Dad. I'd shoot it and carry it like it was part of me. Yeah, I know. Not really "your" Dad. But nice gun and worth using.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It does appear to be in unfired condition from what I see. That said, "buy the gun, not the story". I really don't get the whole collector thing (probably because I never was nor never will be rich). I don't understand buying a car and never driving it either. A couple of months ago I bought a S&W model 18 revolver which appeared to be in unfired condition (except of course at the factory). It probably has more collector value than your pistol. I've shot it quite a bit and don't regret it. Unless you want to trade it to a real S&W collector for one which has been shot, I'd shoot it, if you enjoy shooting it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’d probably shoot it but try to keep everything as nice as possible. The S&W Automatics are increasing in price but I’m not certain an “Unfired” pistol would bring much more than a really nice pistol with the box and everything. If you can’t decide just flip a coin.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    ......I don't understand buying a car and never driving it either....
    I totally get your larger point but certain firearms are more than tools. Some have collector value and are worth saving.

If the OP stumbled into a mint original Shelby Cobra, I don't think we'd be suggesting he make it his daily driver.

Again...his money. Saving it or wearing it out - neither is wrong.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    You should know that the 5906 and like double stack 9mm S&W pistols owe their heritage from the Model 59; S&W’s first double stack commercially available 9mm semi-auto pistols. And, the 59 was derived from S&W’s Model 39 single stack which I believe was their first foray into 9mm autos. (Please don’t quote me on that, memory switches may be rusty!) Finally, I also think the 59 was developed for Special Forces in the USA who wanted a double stack 9mm but lost out to the Sig Sauer P226. (Same Brain Disclaimer!) That concludes my from memory history recollections of guns past.
    PS: Shoot it and enjoy the 5906! :shoot:
    PPS: I do currently have and shoot a 39 and 59 and enjoy them immensely!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    You should know that the 5906 and like double stack 9mm S&W pistols owe their heritage from the Model 59; S&W’s first double stack commercially available 9mm semi-auto pistols. And, the 59 was derived from S&W’s Model 39 single stack which I believe was their first foray into 9mm autos. (Please don’t quote me on that, memory switches may be rusty!) Finally, I also think the 59 was developed for Special Forces in the USA who wanted a double stack 9mm but lost out to the Sig Sauer P226. (Same Brain Disclaimer!) That concludes my from memory history recollections of guns past.
    PS: Shoot it and enjoy the 5906! :shoot:
    PPS: I do currently have and shoot a 39 and 59 and enjoy them immensely!

Lower left to upper right. 5906;659;59;39.

Darn it. Now my bias is showing.

a3720774734832f2f1b8c67309ce8624.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I totally get your larger point but certain firearms are more than tools. Some have collector value and are worth saving.

If the OP stumbled into a mint original Shelby Cobra, I don't think we'd be suggesting he make it his daily driver.

Again...his money. Saving it or wearing it out - neither is wrong.
    If I get the opportunity to be in a position next to a Shelby Cobra, I'm driving it (with permission of course)!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    mcapo: Bias? What Bias? Don’t we all love beautiful guns from Italy, their wine, their women, their cars, and their cuisine!!! LOL! :thatshot:

Top Bottom