To carry extra mags or not to carry extra mags?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I agree. I doubt if many here have ever been in a gunfight. A few of us may have during war. If I could predict the time that I will be involved in a situation that required defensive gun use, I would rarely carry. As far as how many rounds, 5, 10, 15 too many is better than 1 less than needed.

I did not view the videos above. Maybe this was covered there. I first read it in American Handgunner. A bank robber was shot by an officer 14 times, 6 in supposedly fatal areas, and still continued firing his own weapon. The cop was using a .45.

That encounter is both exciting and terrifying. In fairness, lawmen encounter situations that typical citizens wouldn't.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not at all the case. In his video he does the numbers and it comes out to something like 30% of people could use a firearm to defend their life over the course of their lives.

No offense to him, but that's his numbers. He has an interest in why you could need a firearm and why you won't need extra mags.

Lies, damned lies, then there's statistics...

:)

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I typically have at least 2 spare mags or speedloaders no matter the gun or capacity. Piece of mind more then probable need. I don't leave extra ammo in the truck all the time although with the quality of today's ammo it would probably be fine.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    That encounter is both exciting and terrifying. In fairness, lawmen encounter situations that typical citizens wouldn't.
    I agree that it is more likely to happen to police, but I can see it happening to a private citizen during road rage, an argument in a parking lot, a violent drunk (or drunks) invading a family picnic, etc.

I do carry an extra 15 round magazine. I do not know how many is too much. At some point ammo will be too heavy to carry.
    Maybe we need to look into wheelbarrows. :):

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I agree that it is more likely to happen to police, but I can see it happening to a private citizen during road rage, an argument in a parking lot, a violent drunk (or drunks) invading a family picnic, etc.

I do carry an extra 15 round magazine. I do not know how many is too much. At some point ammo will be too heavy to carry.
    Maybe we need to look into wheelbarrows. :):
    Tactical wheelbarrows that can be concealed. I just can't imagine dumping a 15rnd mag at a man charging towards me and not stopping his threat. I'm sure I would have hit him twice.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    YES.

And a decent flashlight, tourniquet and trauma dressing.
    I do carry a flashlight, but no trauma gear. I need to start carrying at least a tourniquet with as much stupidity that goes on now. I live close to Cincinnati and 9 out of 10 mornings the news reports that there was a shooting overnight. Alot are close to the Hospital I work for, but thankfully they moved my helicopter to KY, so I don't have to go down there much anymore. I will even drive around on 275 to avoid the 71/75 corridor. They have had several road rage shootings there since I have been living here.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Reloads are important, but 10x more important is professional training from the right instructor. I know MANY more folks who carry spare mags, than have received true professional instruction in 2-3 day classes. Any level of proficiency will benefit from these sort of classes, especially shooters who feel they are proficient because of years of shooting who are at the peak of dunning kruger effect.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I made this snazzy little kydex mag ’holder’. Just a short pocket that will hold the mag uprights but comes off really easily when fishing the mag out of your back pocket. I use it with my shield but I’ve made a couple others for Glock and other Mags as well.

I carry a spare mag for my shield EZ, and keep another in the center console of my SUV.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My everyday carry smith model 66 2 1/2 inch. Two speed loaders and 6-12 loose rounds in a little zip lock parts bag. My IFAK and a small knife.

My carry thru the next 14 days will be my sig 229 40 SandW with 5 extra mags and the above. That is 70 rounds. I will admit that is probably to many. The likely hood of throwing an extra mag to anyone else who is carrying a sig 40 is small also. The likely hood of someone throwing me a 40 sig loaded mag is slim to none also.

Normally I don’t feel the need to carry more than 29 some rounds. With the possibility of RIOTS in the area downtown Indy I will step up the load out a bit thru the south of July weekend. So far the AK and/or shotgun will not be traveling with me but if the news is bad in the AM they will be.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Especially with that nickel-plated sissy pistol…

But seriously though, noice. There’s something about leather and a 1911 :thatshot:
    I will have you know that beautiful pistol is solid 416 stainless steel heat treated to 28-32 Rockwell. I could not wear it out in 3 lifetime's. But I am trying....lol
    I do love steel and leather ;)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Do they keep stats on gunfights where the gun malfunctioned?
    I guess the question is, does who keep stats? So much of this stuff is not studied from our POV, and the LE numbers don't always apply. I am pretty sure that ASP keeps those numbers from the videos they review, but that is just a sampling, though the largest one we have collected and available.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My everyday carry smith model 66 2 1/2 inch. Two speed loaders and 6-12 loose rounds in a little zip lock parts bag. My IFAK and a small knife.

My carry thru the next 14 days will be my sig 229 40 SandW with 5 extra mags and the above. That is 70 rounds. I will admit that is probably to many. The likely hood of throwing an extra mag to anyone else who is carrying a sig 40 is small also. The likely hood of someone throwing me a 40 sig loaded mag is slim to none also.

Normally I don’t feel the need to carry more than 29 some rounds. With the possibility of RIOTS in the area downtown Indy I will step up the load out a bit thru the south of July weekend. So far the AK and/or shotgun will not be traveling with me but if the news is bad in the AM they will be.
    I think that pistol is a fine choice if you use it well, but do you really think you would be able to reload it in a fight with that setup?

Top Bottom