To carry extra mags or not to carry extra mags?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dcamp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2021
    Boone county
    It really just depends on where I go. Quick trip to the grocery store probably not carrying extra mags. If I gotta take a trip to Indy probably have a extra mag on me and on in the center console

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Always carry a spare mag but it's annoying, just have it in my pocket so it's always turned sideways...really need to try one of those sidecar type holsters or track down a edc oriented mag pouch

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Always carry a spare mag but it's annoying, just have it in my pocket so it's always turned sideways...really need to try one of those sidecar type holsters or track down a edc oriented mag pouch
    I made this snazzy little kydex mag ’holder’. Just a short pocket that will hold the mag uprights but comes off really easily when fishing the mag out of your back pocket. I use it with my shield but I’ve made a couple others for Glock and other Mags as well.

Last edited:

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    I

made this snazzy little kydex mag ’holder’. Just a short pocket that will hold the mag uprights but comes off really easily when fishing the mag out of your back pocket. I use it with my shield but I’ve made a couple others for Glock and other Mags as well.
    Sounds cool, if you get a spare minute post up a pic of it or pm me one ? Honestly never thought of making myself something like that ,would be interested to see what ya did

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I usually carry a spare and it’s as much for malfunctions as for extra ammo. I know the odds of me needing a gun for defense are pretty slim, and if it ever happens the odds of shooting enough to need a reload are slim as well, but if things are going that bad, it’ll be my luck something will go wrong with the gun and the most likely remedy for an auto loader is another magazine. Also, it seems like a good idea to top off/‘tactical reload’ after the gunfight is over just in case thee are more bad guys coming to kick things off again.
    Honestly, I carry a 5 shot J frame more than anything and I do carry a speed strip for it due to low capacity.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I carry a spare full size 8-rd mag in an IWB fabric style holder. That way I have a spare for either 1911. Less about the extra rounds and more for a malfunction. If I needed more than the 8-9 in the gun I was probably already in a pickle. Malfunction sometimes it's just easier and quicker to let it drop and rather than trying to find it on the ground just grab the spare and find the dropped one later.

Top Bottom