TMZ shows video footage of cop shooting civilian in hotel hallway.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is horrible.

Lets flip this a little, if the cop were a homeowner, the guy on the floor was a burglar and the homeowner acted exactly the way the cop did in this video... is it murder then? Would the dust cover be allowed into evidence then?.

In that scenario, actually the homeowner is in a better position because the burglar was, y'know, actually breaking a law. The result, though, is pure speculation.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I cannot believe they acquitted that cop. Should have been charged with murder. Yeah, yeah cops have a hard job we all know. But come on, this shooting was BS. People say well the victim was drunk - so what. I don't care if he ate a pound of bath salts, drank a gallon of moonshine, and smoked his crack pipe for an hour. The victim did not deserve to die.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The dust cover apparently wasn't a factor in the criminal trial.
    But I bet it will be in the civil trial.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What would be nice instead of a civil trial would be a federal civil rights violation. That cop put the victim in a state of fear the last moments of his life. He did nothing to deserve to die on a hotel floor. The cop was way too aggressive and it is completely unrealistic to expect people to NOT act naturally, such as putting your hands out in front of you to avoid a fall.

It would be nice to see 20 - 30 years in club fed for the former officer to contemplate his lack of judgement.

Doug

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    In that scenario, actually the homeowner is in a better position because the burglar was, y'know, actually breaking a law. The result, though, is pure speculation.

But he was surrendering, I didn't think you were allowed to shoot fleeing or surrendering Intruders.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    But he was surrendering, I didn't think you were allowed to shoot fleeing or surrendering Intruders.

I think Hough's point was in the home burglary example at least the homeowner could show that a crime had been committed. It still would be BAD, but the homeowner would have some(?) little ground to stand on.

With this guy he was just some dude walking out of a hotel room, with no known crime even being committed. But this is just a guess on my part.

Doug

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not sure but it sounded like he was way to ready to shoot someone and just a bit on edge. More than a bit actually.
    I do not see that kid needing shot. But that is just me. I was not there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    While admittedly I've not been to every training school out there...there's way better ways to handle this that's safer for everyone and I'd be surprised if what he was doing was actually policy for his department.

Getting everyone on the ground? Ok. Not getting sucked down the hall if there's a question of another suspect with a long gun? Good call...but then when you get the compliant suspects to come to you...the whole cross legged crawl thing is real odd.

If there's a concern of a weapon in the small of the back, the answer is to have the person pull their shirt up via the collar or chest area and slowly turn so you can see the waistband. Then, facing away, walk backward toward you. You can then have them kneel when their close and someone cuffs them. That's a pretty standard felony stop, just in this case it's a hallway and not a traffic stop.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill

He was not shot for surrendering he was shot for pulling his pants up. The cop seen him reach for his waist and realized he could articulate that threat and shot. That's how I took the hesitation based on how the officer acted and spoke before shooting.

This video reminds me of an GWOT video where service men where dealing with a suspected suicide bomber and a language barrier.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I think Hough's point was in the home burglary example at least the homeowner could show that a crime had been committed. It still would be BAD, but the homeowner would have some(?) little ground to stand on.

With this guy he was just some dude walking out of a hotel room, with no known crime even being committed. But this is just a guess on my part.

Doug

You got it.

...and a homeowner will be unlikely to have a body cam and will tell his story as he remembers​ it.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    This does not sound like an officer in fear of his life, trying to go home safe. In the Philando Castile video, you can at least see that that officer full-out crapped his pants, and there was no hiding it. But this sounds like a relatively calm, but cocky, jerk on a power trip.

It's kinda hard to tell your family you were railroaded by the "politically correct system," when they can go on the internet and actually watch you fire yourself on video.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    You got it.

...and a homeowner will be unlikely to have a body cam and will tell his story as he remembers​ it.

Still if an in home security camera caught half of the ordeal and the execution Johnny homeowner would be rooting in a cell. Bobby the burglar was only trying to feed his family after all... There is a narrative double standard in application of lethal force, when we should all be held to the same standard. This dude planned on killing this guy from the second the video started, impossible commands, threatening death on a compliant suspect, if he would he be considered a suspect, going in with his rifle rather than his sidearm... This was murder. Hindsight is twenty twenty so if you're going to film every move you make you better make sure your training and discipline correct your judgement to at least twenty twenty.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Still if an in home security camera caught half of the ordeal and the execution Johnny homeowner would be rooting in a cell. Bobby the burglar was only trying to feed his family after all... There is a narrative double standard in application of lethal force, when we should all be held to the same standard. This dude planned on killing this guy from the second the video started, impossible commands, threatening death on a compliant suspect, if he would he be considered a suspect, going in with his rifle rather than his sidearm... This was murder. Hindsight is twenty twenty so if you're going to film every move you make you better make sure your training and discipline correct your judgement to at least twenty twenty.

But what if the homeowner is also an off-duty policeman?

Or in Texas?

Man Cleared for Killing Neighbor's Burglars - ABC News

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    this is sickening. murder. so many power tripping cops who couldnt make the military wanting to get an ar and feel like they are military, desperate to shoot anything other than paper.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    After the fact, it's pretty obvious he was trying to pull his pants up. I watched the whole video. I don't know if it's trained, but as soon as police need to assert authority, they go full drill sargent. The chic didn't have any problem keeping her hands up and crawling. The dude is a whimpering pile at that point and is not following commands. It's like he's just not understanding that he is not in a position to ask question of what's going on. Where I have to side with the cops is he's reached behind his back previously. While crawling he then raises up and reaches again. In the past few years, we've seen some real **** go down. Do we really expect the cops to wait for some dude to throw a grenade? Yes, the call was for a rifle. Where does it say that these nutjobs will only have one weapon? The fact is, they don't know and must expect everything.

Did he deserve to get shot? Absolutely not. Does the officer deserve charges? Absolutely not. Can anyone say without a doubt they knew he wasn't reaching for a weapon? Absolutely not. Does the department, and all departments across the USA need to watch this video and use it to better understand how to command suspects? Absolutely.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Cold blooded MURDER, plain and simple. Cop should be executed! Just my .02. Wife and kids should get MILLIONS.
    ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE to open fire on that man.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    ON top of what I just posted, that video is very hard to watch. And like someone else posted, if you're an LE, do NOT put that type of a dust cover on your AR.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Could he have that on a rifle that he carries for work without the department knowing about it?

Probably. I can't imagine any department condoning that dust cover, on your personal AR sure, if that's your thing.
    Anyone in any kind of management role would know how something like that can bite you in the A$$. It was probably a joke, but now in light of what has happened, an attorney could argue that he has a mind set of a trigger happy cop.
    Just waiting for an opportunity to smoke someone. Which basically is what he did.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I guess I didn't realize that police could carry personal weapons that had not been checked out by their boss or someone in the department. I am really surprised by that.

Top Bottom