• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What's better than raw eggs and dairy drowning in booze and left to age, amirite?

I've got a two batches aging - the three week old 'nog will be drank at the office party tonight.

In the past I've made it fresh with the egg whites being foamed and integrated - which they never do. So this year, I used the whites for angle's food cakes instead.

New recipe for this year:
    • 12 egg yolks
    • 1 pound sugar
    • 1 pint heavy cream
    • 1 pint half and half
    • 1 pint whole milk
    • 3 cups of brown liquor of your choice
    • nutmeg (fresh ground, dammit!)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And because we need memes:

w6o97.jpg

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So JettaKnight, how exactly are you making it? I've never made eggnog. Googling around it appears people boil part of the ingredients and the combine with others, but sounds like you are fermenting it or something?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's not fermented, but aged such that the ingredients mellow a bit; like whiskey is aged after distilling.

I never cook my eggnog. Why? The risk of salmonella is so small these days, and the salmonella bacteria is found on the shells, not in the eggs. If you're worried about it, get some pasteurized eggs at one of those hippy/hipster grocery stores.

Last night we got into the 3 week old one - it was smooth, creamy and quite strong. The first sip was boozy, but there's no turning back. :D

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    It's not fermented, but aged such that the ingredients mellow a bit; like whiskey is aged after distilling.

I never cook my eggnog. Why? The risk of salmonella is so small these days, and the salmonella bacteria is found on the shells, not in the eggs. If you're worried about it, get some pasteurized eggs at one of those hippy/hipster grocery stores.

Last night we got into the 3 week old one - it was smooth, creamy and quite strong. The first sip was boozy, but there's no turning back. :D

QFT

I do include the whites at the end after they are beaten to coolwhip consistency. (not racist)
    I just give the bottle a shake before pouring.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Usd to drink a bunch of it, now I only do a quick job of it by splashing a little bourbon into leftover French toast batter when done cooking for the wife and kids. I never separated the egg whites out, mixing the eggs thoroughly with the sugar before adding the dairy helps them blend in.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I have to be honest, never had it. Maybe it's good but thr concept makes me ill. Picturing the cardboard boxes it came in.
    puke smiley

The cardboard box crap in the store is NOTHING like the homemade recipe posted up in #1.
    The store bought carton is like drinking pudding. It’s nasty.
    Homemade is silky smooth and barely heavier than malted milk.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have to be honest, never had it. Maybe it's good but thr concept makes me ill. Picturing the cardboard boxes it came in.
    puke smiley

Store bought eggnog is an abomination simply because of all the processing to create a shelf-stable, non-alcoholic, FDA approved "beverage".

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Think store bought is safer than homemade uncooked? Think again.

https://phys.org/news/2008-12-rockefeller-microbiologist-safety-spiked-eggnog.html

I got curious and went googling over the weekend, found references to the Rockefeller experiment as well. I am suspecting the key difference between the store-bought non-alcoholic eggnog and the uncooked version was the 20% rum and bourbon added to the uncooked version. I suspect if you added the same amount of alcohol to the store-bought version you would clobber a lot of bacteria.

Also, time makes a difference. More detailed descriptions of the Rockefeller experiment, the part where they injected Salmonella in to the homebrew batch, noted that within the first week there was still significant bacteria in it, but by the end of the third week, when the alcohol had time to penetrate every cell in the mixture, the bacteria was gone, or at least undetectable.

So it would fun to do a home made batch, but don't forget the booze and make sure to give it time to do its thing.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The experiment has begun!

Last night I made a batch and stuck it in the fridge, we'll see how it is at Thanksgiving.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Well, my breath can’t be bated for the next several months, but I am looking forward to the results. When I was cooking my way through college, we started an Oktoberfest sauerbraten more than a month in advance that came out very good.

Top Bottom