• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fiddle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Fishers
    So I changed my plans and went to the Tipton show on Saturday morning.
    It was very similar to the other times I have been to that show. Lot of older and vintage firearms and parts. The selection of newer firearms and pistols in particular was small. IMHO

Unfortunately, I left with all my money still in my pocket.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Always get a kick out of the Tipton show. Guy in the big room in the NE corner had a couple SP 1 Colts that were tempting. Did find a NIB 3x Colt carry handle scope. (mine all mine) Saw a side marked Norinco M1a for $1100 that looked new. Passed on it.
    Really miss the baked goods fund raiser table tho.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Lot of older and vintage firearms and parts. The selection of newer firearms and pistols in particular was small. IMHO

Unfortunately, I left with all my money still in my pocket.
    “There is this thing called the internet.”

With shops like Bud’s gun’s the day’s of the traveling gun store are over. Less over head and lower prices online than can be obtained traveling. Gas meals trailers needing wheel bearings ect.

Even in the large shows the dealers with tables of new items are local brick and mortar store.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    “There is this thing called the internet.”

With shops like Bud’s gun’s the day’s of the traveling gun store are over. Less over head and lower prices online than can be obtained traveling. Gas meals trailers needing wheel bearings ect.

Even in the large shows the dealers with tables of new items are local brick and mortar store.
    While there is some truth in this statement, the fact is that many people don't like buying firearms online. Personally, I never have and never intend to. If the day's of the traveling gun store are truly over, then why were there 5 gun shows last weekend in this state alone? I would rather pay a little more and actually be able to pick it up and look at it before I buy it. Not to mention the fact that if you actually look around, you can often find hidden deals on the tables and people frequently bring in guns and other items that are much cheaper than you can find anywhere online.
    Sure, the average price at a gun show is usually higher than the lowest prices online. Online is easier to search. There are certainly some advantages to buying online. But it's really difficult to trade, impossible to actually physically examine and you will have shipping (and possible damage or loss), transfer fees, credit card fees, etc.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sure, the average price at a gun show is usually higher than the lowest prices online. Online is easier to search. There are certainly some advantages to buying online. But it's really difficult to trade, impossible to actually physically examine and you will have shipping (and possible damage or loss), transfer fees, credit card fees, etc.
    Old guy here. There used to be traveling gun dealers who had no brick and mortar stores who traveled the gun show circuit. Basically handguns cause long guns took up more space. They were pretty easy to find normally on an end of isle and 5 tables the end cap and two tables now they are the at-15 parts dudes with 59 uppers and 300 hand guards.
    New dealers get ATF hassle for a gun store with no store front brick and mortar style. (Not right but hassle none the less)
    So not as many new traveler dealers and the older ones slowed down or found it less advantageous to travel and started a brick and mortar store.

Plenty of guns shows not as many traveling handgun dealers.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Old guy here. There used to be traveling gun dealers who had no brick and mortar stores who traveled the gun show circuit. Basically handguns cause long guns took up more space. They were pretty easy to find normally on an end of isle and 5 tables the end cap and two tables now they are the at-15 parts dudes with 59 uppers and 300 hand guards.
    New dealers get ATF hassle for a gun store with no store front brick and mortar style. (Not right but hassle none the less)
    So not as many new traveler dealers and the older ones slowed down or found it less advantageous to travel and started a brick and mortar store.

Plenty of guns shows not as many traveling handgun dealers.
    Ok, I misunderstood what you were saying. By "traveling gun store", I thought you meant someone with a gun store, that also travels.

We still have several gun dealers at shows that don't have a brick and mortar, but I'm sure it's not as many as there were 30 or 40 years ago.

CWMC

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Jasper county
    While there is some truth in this statement, the fact is that many people don't like buying firearms online. Personally, I never have and never intend to. If the day's of the traveling gun store are truly over, then why were there 5 gun shows last weekend in this state alone? I would rather pay a little more and actually be able to pick it up and look at it before I buy it. Not to mention the fact that if you actually look around, you can often find hidden deals on the tables and people frequently bring in guns and other items that are much cheaper than you can find anywhere online.
    HERE HERE. All of what what said :lol2:. But the biggest reason to support gun shows is becaues the dummy-craps who want to disarm you hate em !

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I go to the shows looking mostly for older weapons, parts and surplus stuff. I rarely buy new guns but have had a streak going lately because there are a couple dealers that sell guns at the shows cheaper than I can get them on line or through my friends at the shop! Plus I’m a member of never wanting to buy a gun on line, never have and doubt I ever will, unless it’s something I really want or a killer deal. I’m a tactile sorta guy.
    I miss the days of being able to go to a smaller show and pick around and find a gem to take home with me. The internet has ruined gun shows just like it did to muscle cars. Everyone thinks their items should be sold at Mecum or Rock Island. There are a couple old dudes, yes older than me, that make the circuit that have mostly used handguns and long guns that are in average, shooter grade condition that price them over new or collector prices! Lots of guys have nice used guns that are relatively newer and still available that ask way over MSRP for them. I truly don’t understand it. And ammo…. :ugh:
    I still go to a few shows and root around for those gems but anymore I get excited if I find a nice surplus sling, box of hard to find ammo or a part on my wants list.
    One more thought and I’ll sign off. If you look there is a show within 30-45 minutes drive time almost every weekend. The calendar is saturated with shows and it takes away a little of the anticipation for me.
    Anyway enjoy them while you still can and happy hunting…..:cheers:

Top Bottom