• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    First local Gun show in my area since I have been Vaccinated for Covid. Son and I intend to go Saturday if the creeks don't rise! Don't expect to see much at reasonable prices considering the current climate - but? Anyone else going?

Blazer90

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    How big of a show has it been in the past ? I like to just browse abs see what’s out there ? Any idea on entrance prices ?

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I always liked the Tipton show. Last time I went approximately 3 years ago I could have bought chrome S&W revolvers for $500 or less all day long. Probably could have even gotten the Colt revolver I'm looking for for the same or less.

As is usually the case I wasn't in the market for one then. I'm not sure why I always decide I want something after it becomes hard to find.

Oh well, The thrill is in the hunt. Has anyone been to the show more recently? Just curious if it's as good of a show as it used to be.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    This is my favorite show. However, I have to work this weekend and will miss it. I remember attending the show in 2018 when older S&W revolvers were going for $300. I think it has been a while since they have had this show because of COVID restrictions.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I always liked the Tipton show. Last time I went approximately 3 years ago I could have bought chrome S&W revolvers for $500 or less all day long. Probably could have even gotten the Colt revolver I'm looking for for the same or less.

As is usually the case I wasn't in the market for one then. I'm not sure why I always decide I want something after it becomes hard to find.

Oh well, The thrill is in the hunt. Has anyone been to the show more recently? Just curious if it's as good of a show as it used to be.
    What sort of Colt revolver are you looking for?

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    What sort of Colt revolver are you looking for?
    I'm looking for an older one. Solid metal nothing modern or lightweight. Something like a detective's model. Either in snub nosed 38 special or 357.

In all honesty I don't know much about them or what's available. I saw one at the 1500 that I really liked the way it felt.

I thought he was a little overpriced since the bluing had some imperfections. He wanted more then I thought it was worth and and he didn't want to deal so I walked. For a premium price I expect near perfect condition.

I like the fatter grip on the Colt compared to the older Smith & Wessons.

I like the Colts that have the continuation of the hump around the cylinder on the frame. I find it anesthetically pleasing.

In other words, I like The fat bottom pretty ones since I don't have any actual Colt knowledge.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I was curious, I have some old Colts I'm going to be selling, but they are refinished Officer's Models and not short barreled. Sounds like you are looking at a Detective Special, Cobra, or Agent. Best of luck, like you said, the hunt is part of the thrill.:)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm looking for an older one. Solid metal nothing modern or lightweight. Something like a detective's model. Either in snub nosed 38 special or 357.

In all honesty I don't know much about them or what's available. I saw one at the 1500 that I really liked the way it felt.

I thought he was a little overpriced since the bluing had some imperfections. He wanted more then I thought it was worth and and he didn't want to deal so I walked. For a premium price I expect near perfect condition.

I like the fatter grip on the Colt compared to the older Smith & Wessons.

I like the Colts that have the continuation of the hump around the cylinder on the frame. I find it anesthetically pleasing.

In other words, I like The fat bottom pretty ones since I don't have any actual Colt knowledge.
    Sounds as if you want a Detective Special with a hammer shroud. The Cobra and Agent are LW models that can come with a shroud as well. I haven’t been to Tipton for a few years but it used to be a really good show with a lot of small vendors and older guns like I look for. I might go Sunday. Here’s my 2 Detectives and a Magnum Carry.

Attachments

• 1A5A2CAE-FF98-4054-B90D-E927898AC200.jpeg
      1A5A2CAE-FF98-4054-B90D-E927898AC200.jpeg
      774 KB · Views: 15
    • 44E47439-BAB6-4431-AA91-2A72BE6A70AC.jpeg
      44E47439-BAB6-4431-AA91-2A72BE6A70AC.jpeg
      555.2 KB · Views: 15
    • 50D3BDBD-6236-4331-AFE0-E591C6EF2442.jpeg
      50D3BDBD-6236-4331-AFE0-E591C6EF2442.jpeg
      3 MB · Views: 14

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    How big of a show has it been in the past ? I like to just browse abs see what’s out there ? Any idea on entrance prices ?
    It’s not a big show. I’m guessing but I’d say 120 tables. If you go there’s a smaller room off in the back that usually has some good deals. I’ve heard vendors complain about people not having any money left or paying more for the same items before getting to them. A little bit more of a drive for you but Crownpoint gunshow is this weekend also. About 300 tables.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Sounds as if you want a Detective Special with a hammer shroud. The Cobra and Agent are LW models that can come with a shroud as well. I haven’t been to Tipton for a few years but it used to be a really good show with a lot of small vendors and older guns like I look for. I might go Sunday. Here’s my 2 Detectives and a Magnum Carry.
    Those are gorgeous. Definitely ones I would pick up at the right price.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I was curious, I have some old Colts I'm going to be selling, but they are refinished Officer's Models and not short barreled. Sounds like you are looking at a Detective Special, Cobra, or Agent. Best of luck, like you said, the hunt is part of the thrill.:)

What are taking to market?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Those are gorgeous. Definitely ones I would pick up at the right price.
    Colts are a little bit bigger than the S&W J Frames but they hold 6 rounds vs 5 and absorb a little more recoil. The Smiths are a little easier to conceal and you don’t even know you’re carrying them with a good holster, but I guess the carry part goes for the Colts too.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I do not need an early 20th Century wheel gun.... but I want one.

Both shoot 38 special, but the 1901 requires HBWC ammo to be accurate. Everything Colt up to about 1903 is being chambered in the old 38LC cartridge which was heeled. That type of cartridge faded out and Colt moves over to in case bullets like S&W was offering at the time. The skirt on the 38 special expands and engages the rifeling, Colt used this as a solution to the 41 LC as well a chambering found in lot of guns popular at the time.

The 1901 is army marked and comes with an army Rock Island issue holster, this gun is the type that started the age old dispute over caliber with the 45, leading to Thompson LaGarde after the Philippines insurrection.

The Officers Model was the Lambo of target pistols of the era, all championship shooters used them.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I have been waiting since the last show there (autumn 2019) to attend a quality gunshow again. This is a very good show with a lot of older gentlemen that are VERY knowledgeable on their weapons. If you are looking for more modern weapons, then this is probably not your show. If you like older Colt automatic pistols and revolvers, vintage S&W revolvers this is a great show.

Top Bottom