• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beitor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    NWI
    When I first got my Glock 48, I was able to switch the mag release from righty to lefty (tho not without scratching up my magwell a bit). I recently received my shield arms s15 mags (which are righty only) and decided to switch the mag release back to righty. After countless attempts and a lot more scratches to my magwell, this task just seems impossible; so I'd really appreciate any tips (especially what type of tool to use) on switching glock mag releases! Also, are the scratches to the magwell just a blemish or is it possible this can affect the functionality as well?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’ve changed many of these. Done properly with the right tool this procedure won’t mar the magwell. Use a long-reach bent needle-nosed pliers to release the wire spring and pull it out in one operation. Once the top of the wire is free just pull it straight up and out of the frame. The wire is harder than Casey’s nuts, don’t worry about garfing it up, just stay off the frame with the pliers and you’ll be golden.

beitor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    NWI
    In hindsight I was probably using too big of a flathead. Will try to see if I have a smaller one; if that fails I'll just get a needle nose. Thanks yall

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    When I first got my Glock 48, I was able to switch the mag release from righty to lefty (tho not without scratching up my magwell a bit). I recently received my shield arms s15 mags (which are righty only) and decided to switch the mag release back to righty. After countless attempts and a lot more scratches to my magwell, this task just seems impossible; so I'd really appreciate any tips (especially what type of tool to use) on switching glock mag releases! Also, are the scratches to the magwell just a blemish or is it possible this can affect the functionality as well?
    I just did this with my 43X. As already noted, watch a few videos and take your time.

I found, using a very bright light, that when my pistol was assembled at the factory, a corner of the plastic slot that retains the wire spring on the mag release had been folded over trapping the spring. I cut away the offending plastic burr and the spring popped right out.

FWIW, I installed the Shield Arms metal mag release as recommended by Shield Arms. Everything seems to be working. We'll see how it holds up when I get to the range.

beitor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    NWI
    I made a tool from an old screwdriver, works like a charm.. If you are around Indy and still struggling I'm at SPB a couple of times a week and also usually at Parabellum in Avon every week. If you want to meet I'll swap it for you.
    the offer is tempting but unfortunately im a bit far out from indy thanks

chandler01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2021
    Gary
    We have couples of video on youtube

Top Bottom