TIG welding scope holes in receiver or plugs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Looking at having holes for a no longer existing scope mount on an 81 Remington filled. I've seen the suggestion of loctiting screw into the holes, grind the heads off and peen the remainder to blend it into the receiver. Many mention tig, but I can't find an example of where it's been done (and reblued). Has anyone done or had this done before? If the TIG route, I'd send it out to someone experienced. Obviously it would be reblued afterwards.

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I work on lots of injection molds, many are textured. When we TIG weld a mold that will be, or has been textured, we must used welding rod of the same steel type as the base metal, and we have to "color match" the welded area. It's not really about color, it about making the weld and the base metal the same hardness. That way the chemicals used in the texturing process, usually acid, will eat away the texture pattern uniformly.

Even though bluing is just basically controlled rust, I would expect something similar to happen. The welded area will take the bluing a little differently than the area around it because of the differences in the weld and the base metal.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    If its that tedious of work, locktite screwes in holes, cut off heads and then do a slight tig or whatever weld you perfer and then grind surface to receiver smooth. Then blue touchup. Personally, i think it goes a bit overboard just for a few small holes.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Gassprint1 hit the nail on the head --screws come in all different lengths --shouldn't need to cut the off. Then you can pre heat blue the screws -red Loctite-Its just a screw hole, and down the road someone might want to use those screw hole again.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    After exhaustive scientific research in a clinical environment studying how various metals react to bluing (weld, screw fill etc.) The chances of getting fill metal to take bluing that matches your receiver are as follows:

50% too soft
    50% too hard
    100% you won’t get what you are looking for.

The above results were arrived at after a 15 year federal government funded study among several state funded woke universities.

mausermadness

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Tig can produce a cleaner end product if it is done right. The problem is in getting the right filler material. Not only do you want something metalurgically sound but you want it to match the rest of the finish. I have had a hole plugged on a TT-33 that took blueing very poorly. I have also seen reweld MG projects where you cant tell where the tig welds are on the receiver.

Reactions: RCB
    Top Bottom