• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2016
    Noblesville
    Had a lot of fun at a buddy's bachelor party throwing axes, a shovel and some knives. So I decided to pick up some SZCO 10" throwing knives for screwing around and having fun learning. Anyone else into throwing knives/able to help a newbie get started with proper form?

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Ive been throwing knifes and tomahawks for close to 45 years. Hard to believe but the best throwing knives I have found are Glock knives. They are balanced well and throw well.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Sure do. I haven't found anything that throws as well or sticks consistently as they do. I use the Sig fasthawks for hawk throwing. Don't waste your money on the 3 piece set of the small metal ones. I was buying them at Walmart around Christmas every year for about 20 bucks

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've thought about this as a hobby. Fairly low bar to entry and I can do it in my own yard.

I think I've figured out how I want to build a target - but not yet sure how to go about actually building a portable target stand that'll hang the thing completely vertically. I am engineerically challenged.

LostHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2016
    Noblesville
    From what Ive seen, it is pretty easy to build an end grain target with wooden blocks wrapped by 2x4s or the like. Depending on the design you can even make it so replacing the blocks after they get chewed up is fairly easy. The hanging or standing part depends on the space you have for it I think

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have been into martial arts since I could stand as my mom sponsored her brothers to become US citizens. One is a doctor. The one that lived with us the longest was a ROK Marine and my primary instructor. We threw crap I never knew that could stick. Everything no-spin unless it was far away >20'. I make my own stuff out of rebar that I forge in a little dynamite do-it-yourself propane fuel fire brick do hickey. Saw it in a magazine called Blade. Funny thing is how I attended the Blade magazine's show in Smyrna and met the guy that came up with it. Solid dude. He told me I needed to attend a forging class down south and learn how to from a professional. I'm just a hack but I digress.
    I have end pieces of soft maple I hewed out of my neighbor's yard because of that maple disease going around right meow. I made simple 2x4 sawhorses to hold it in place. I then placed a 4'X8' piece of 3/4" cdx sheathing behind it if I missed. Both my kids throw too. I gues it's a monkey- see / monkey- do kinda thing. I always let 'em try stuff in case they need those life skills later.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Gerber Prodigy and Strongarm knives have excellent balance for throwing as well. With a little practice to dial in distance and rotation you can get very consistent results. By the way, they are American made and reasonably priced.

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    I built my daughter this target for her b-day. We bought the SOG knives. Durable so far. I'll check out the glock knives. 3 2x4s gets the job done for the target. Fun new skill to learn. 20210408_184123.jpg

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Spent 70$ filling up my truck a few days ago. Driving the accord around town now. I cut a 12" inch thick 32" round, poplar log for a throwing target. Few of those rounds are on my front lawn if anyone wants them for targets.

Nightboard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    New Castle
    I started with butter knifes, now I can make just about anything stick with 1/2 turn. Anything farther than a half turn though, I have trouble with.

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    I’ve been throwing hawks and knives for 38yrs, still throwing the same ones to this day, they were made in Germany (thx dad) then few years later my father taught me how to make my throwing knives from leaf springs he learned this while training the montagnard tribes in while in early 60s in Vietnam…makes a hell of a throwing knife, and one hell of a thud when you stick it! ❤️ The goal is for the knife to stick with the grain..you can judge your release on the angle when it sticks and correct from there. Start out close, don’t throw it hard, 1/2 a revolution is a good start, the further away adjust your hand up the blade, closer to the tip the faster the spin…also if your using a double edge blade you can dull the edge, and or use electrical tape to lessen the chance of cutting yourself…have fun!

Top Bottom