• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Been happening more and more lately, I'm not getting thread notifications either on the site, or via email.
    No rhyme or reason, different threads, not consistently the same one.

Today I was scanning new posts, and noticed that I had not been notified of new posts in the 2021 Official Gratuitous Grilling/BBQ/Cooking Thread
    The only way I have been able to rectify this is to unwhatch the thread and to Re-Watch it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've noticed, if I don't get to a thread I'm "watching", that later I will not get notifications on it.
    Till I go review it.
    Then the notifications start again.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not sure if my explanation is easy to follow or not.

So, an example.

If I have 20 notifications, but only get to 10 of them, I don't get notifications on those 10 I missed, until I actually go look at them.
    Usually when I bring up "new", I see some that I'm "watching" that I didn't get a notification for.
    And I think that's the reason why.

Anyway, viewing the thread seems to reset it.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've noticed, if I don't get to a thread I'm "watching", that later I will not get notifications on it.
    Till I go review it.
    Then the notifications start again.
    Not sure if my explanation is easy to follow or not.

So, an example.

If I have 20 notifications, but only get to 10 of them, I don't get notifications on those 10 I missed, until I actually go look at them.
    Usually when I bring up "new", I see some that I'm "watching" that I didn't get a notification for.
    And I think that's the reason why.

Anyway, viewing the thread seems to reset it.

I'm subscribed to several threads, you shouldn't revisit a thread to get notifications to start being sent again.
    I'm not going to go into a thread and look to see if there's a new message, that's what the notifications are for, to let you know there is a new message in the thread. Otherwise the purpose of the thread notification is not worth didly if you're not notified.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm subscribed to several threads, you shouldn't revisit a thread to get notifications to start being sent again.
    I'm not going to go into a thread and look to see if there's a new message, that's what the notifications are for, to let you know there is a new message in the thread. Otherwise the purpose of the thread notification is not worth didly if you're not notified.

When you get a notification, you only get one that it's been updated.
    You don't get one for every post that's added to it.
    If there are 10 post since your last visit, you only get the notification for the 1st post.
    Then you read all ten, and it marks it read.
    Till more posts are added.

So, if you get a notification, but don't read the thread, then it is still marked unread.
    And you don't get further notifications.
    Till you either read it, or mark it read.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    When you get a notification, you only get one that it's been updated.
    You don't get one for every post that's added to it.
    If there are 10 post since your last visit, you only get the notification for the 1st post.
    Then you read all ten, and it marks it read.
    Till more posts are added.

So, if you get a notification, but don't read the thread, then it is still marked unread.
    And you don't get further notifications.
    Till you either read it, or mark it read.

You're not getting what I'm saying, perfect example the 2021 Official Gratuitous Griiiling/BB/Cooking thread, I had not received new post notification update for a WEEK, today I check the new posts and see the thread has new posts in it.

I'm not getting thread notification updates for a lot of threads, the only way I get notifications to start back up is to unwatch the thread and the select to watch again.

When you last visited a thread a week ago, and there has been 30 newposts you should be receiving a notification of new posts, that's not happening a lot of times,
    It's like there is a bug in the software that toggles off the alert notication randomly with no rhyme or reason as to why.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a semi related note, about 10% of my notifications come in pure text, no formatting.

Normally the email arrives using the same not so attractive earth toned color scheme. But sometimes they come in unformatted, text only.

Not complaining per se, just adding another log to the email oddity fire in case its related.

Top Bottom