• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    Just wondering picked um my new to me STI it has some holster wear, a scratch on the slide. So do you spend the money to have it refinished or just live with it. As far as I can tell it’s been shot minimally but perhaps carried often.

thoughts?
    I love every scratch and dent on every one of my guns. Whether it is one of my Glocks, my Les Baer, or my Wilson Combat. I don’t buy guns to put them in cabinets and admire them.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I carry a glock and it has chunks out of the finish from using it as a striking tool.
    Dude… you gotta go for the soft spots!!!
    Teeth will scratch a Glock! :laugh6:

In all seriousness… I’ve got a S&W 442 that looks like it was drug behind my HOG then tumbled in a cement mixer.
    Thinnest :poop: finish I’ve ever seen. But, reliable all day every day.
    I’ll probably rattle can it with some black paint and carry on.

Last edited:

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Leave it, and added to it. Guns are happiest when being used. ;)

I, also, am one of those who likes a firearm to look nice and new, but as soon as it gains the first bit of natural character I’m full in. I don’t abuse or beat my firearms, but they’re also made to be used, so I use them and let that natural patina show that they’re happy guns. :)

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Along the same line, one of my brothers was giving me grief because of the "pinstripe" scratches down both sides of my truck (his trucks stay "pristine").

I told him that i got those scratches driving through a pine grove to prospect a gold creek with a super hot 26 year old yoga instructor at the intersection of mosquito gulch and hoochie coochie rd.

I could have stayed on the pavement, but i bought a truck to do truck stuff.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You need to start a trend like the rock & roll guitar guys, where the more scratched up, the better. They will drag it by a rope behind the car and declare what is left as cool. The wealthy pay extra for the custom shop to wear it out "just right".

Personally, I try not to beat up anything I own. My 50 year old Mossberg is handled as carefully as a brand new high end gun. That said, it and a couple of my old revolvers do show 30-50 years of significant wear from honest use. I keep everything clean and oiled the best I can. They are kept fully mechanically sound. The are not something that sits on a mirrored display at Tiffany's jewelers.

BlueDrew2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Hancock Co
    As long as functionality is unaffected, keep running it the way it is. You dont have to worry about the first scratch. That was always the hardest to get over for myself. I almost enjoy the look of a nicely worn pistol.

Reactions: Leo

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I hate it when I get the first scratch or ding on a new car (or anything else). On the other hand once that’s out of the way, it’s kind of a relief. It’s not “new” anymore. ;)

If I buy something used, it is what it is. I don’t think I’d worry about it. Just enjoy it.
    I am the exact opposite. None of anything I own are collectors' items. Well with the possible exception of my EOS 1V. Anyway, I've purchased exactly one new car in my life. I treated it like a new car and that drove me nuts. After having it for several weeks, I couldn't stand it any longer; trying to keep it dent-free, that is. I went to Walmart, retrieved a cart from the parking lot return space, and used it to put a small dent in my right side door. What a relief; now I can park anywhere, again.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have no idea what life this old guy led before it entered my collection, but I love that it carry’s the scars of that life proudly. Patina is a wonderful thing as long as it doesn’t impact functionality
    fe57a1cdcce51ffe57828d4651e9b4aa.jpg

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I really don’t care about working guns the only G$&k I own is a old FHP pistol has a certain worn feeling to it.

I just smacked my DW Valor today getting it out of the safe.

Top Bottom