• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    So the wife and I have our AR's setup right now, and both of our rifles are pretty minimalistic (not cheap, just not accessory heavy). I hate way to many accessories really. Adds to much in the way of weight, complication, and to much crap to break.

Anyways, while fiddling with some of our stuff and talking to the wife about our "home invasion" plans, we came back to the subject of a mag coupler for my rifle. I probably wouldn't do one on her rifle (her's is already a super lightweight build and I'm trying to keep it light for her). But I kinda have mine set up as the primary. Suppressor, light with pressure pad, good red dot, that sort of stuff.

I'm already in the habit of "mag dry - drop from gun and go to next" from competition and stuff like that and there is no way I would run a coupler in competition, but having the extra 30 rounds when I'm not in kit or anything just right there on the rifle might be kinda hard to pass up...

Anyways, thoughts? Anyone have one that they run? I don't think it would be faster, but if I only have the rifle....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like a single clip on belt mag holder for a backup mag. The ETS mags that clip together make for a convenient way to double the belt capacity, with the option to readily clip and unclip mags together.

Another backup mag option, with the mags clipped together, is that the two clipped together can be slid over your belt to have one IWB and another OWB. Certainly not the most secure, but might do in a pinch?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Get a buttstock ammo pouch, ducktape two mags together, or don't worry about it is my theory.

Only time I'd ever even consider it though is if I'd need to grab the rifle, and have the extra rounds without also grabbing a belt, or vest. IE: in Iraq, we had buttstock ammo pouches so we could have 2 mags... even off duty in PT gear at the mess hall or MWR.
    For around the homestead, I don't sweat it.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Absolutely not. If there’s a bump in the night, tuck an extra mag in your pocket, or underwear, or don’t. If you are caught in a firefight in home defense where 30 rounds can’t get the job done, you aren’t doing your job, or being remotely safe imo. The weight alone of an extra loaded mag coupled on is the biggest deterrent.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    My sons carry M4's for a living, no one they work with or themselves use mag couplers.
    Shoulder you loaded AR and add two loaded mags for 2 minutes, that will let you know quickly.
    Absolutely this. Pick up your rifle and use it to cover a door for five full minutes. Set a timer. When the timer goes off, you'll start taking stuff off your rifle.

Dr Long Jon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2022
    Crown Point
    So the wife and I have our AR's setup right now, and both of our rifles are pretty minimalistic (not cheap, just not accessory heavy). I hate way to many accessories really. Adds to much in the way of weight, complication, and to much crap to break.

Anyways, while fiddling with some of our stuff and talking to the wife about our "home invasion" plans, we came back to the subject of a mag coupler for my rifle. I probably wouldn't do one on her rifle (her's is already a super lightweight build and I'm trying to keep it light for her). But I kinda have mine set up as the primary. Suppressor, light with pressure pad, good red dot, that sort of stuff.

I'm already in the habit of "mag dry - drop from gun and go to next" from competition and stuff like that and there is no way I would run a coupler in competition, but having the extra 30 rounds when I'm not in kit or anything just right there on the rifle might be kinda hard to pass up...

Anyways, thoughts? Anyone have one that they run? I don't think it would be faster, but if I only have the rifle....
    I have 2 40 round mags coupled for my AR. You know, just in case.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't use a mag coupler, rather, I use a Redi-Mag. It's been on my patrol rifle for the last 13-14 years. If the SHTF and I only have time to grab my rifle and go, at least I have 60 rds in the fight. It takes getting used to but I've trained and carried it for awhile now so I'm used to it. Reloads are super fast.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've played with mag couplers, and out of them all I'd say the magpul meant for pmags is the best I've seen. For one, I'm not downgrading the quality of a magazine I'd use because it has a coupler built into it or some other feature. For me it's Pmag, Lancer, Okay & D&H. Other mags are fine, but those are the mags I'll bet my life on.

Having said I like the magpul coupler I can also say I've done some run and gun classes where things get bumped and knocked around. It's real easy to get the first round of the coupled mag bumped or wiggled just enough that it hangs out over the feed lip of the mag and ends up becoming an obstacle when reloading.

I've played with the concept for the same reason you mentioned of grabbing the gun in the night and having all the ammo I'd need already on it. The idea/concept/theory is solid, but in practice I really think you're better off jamming one mag in the rifle, and putting a spare in a back pocket, inside the waistband of your underwear if you have to or whatever. Realistically, you won't need the first or second mag.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Absolutely not. If there’s a bump in the night, tuck an extra mag in your pocket, or underwear, or don’t. If you are caught in a firefight in home defense where 30 rounds can’t get the job done, you aren’t doing your job, or being remotely safe imo. The weight alone of an extra loaded mag coupled on is the biggest deterrent.
    Yup. Momma and her mag are your extra. If you haven't solved a home invasion in 30 rds, you needed to call the mutual support group cause the **** has hit the fan.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The idea/concept/theory is solid, but in practice I really think you're better off jamming one mag in the rifle, and putting a spare in a back pocket, inside the waistband of your underwear if you have to or whatever. Realistically,
    I sleep nekkid and the crack of my rump just won't EVEN hold a 20 rd, let alone a 30. And my belly won't flop down enough to tuck one under either. It's duct tape or nothing, I guess.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I've played with the concept for the same reason you mentioned of grabbing the gun in the night and having all the ammo I'd need already on it. The idea/concept/theory is solid, but in practice I really think you're better off jamming one mag in the rifle, and putting a spare in a back pocket, inside the waistband of your underwear if you have to or whatever. Realistically, you won't need the first or second mag.
    Bold of you to assume I wear underwear after 5:00

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    :abused:
    a1cf37a360aa3697430bb255a5cd9936.jpg

:ar15:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    We used them on our HK MP5’s and M4’s for a minute but didn’t keep them. Other than they help you cheat during reload drills under the clock when certifying we found them not really practical as a transition to handgun was faster.

As far as a bump in the night at your house a rifle with 30 rounds falls right into the Probabilities. 60 rounds not so much. But you do you.

Top Bottom