Thoughts on a 300 blackout suppressed bolt gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lately I've been giving a lot of thought to a bolt action 300 blackout. The reason being I already have an SDN-6 and it would not be a big deal to screw the can on a different gun for some backyard plinking from the patio that they neighbors don't hear from their house. I would only be interested in subsonic loads, just to keep things quiet. I wouldn't mind the accuracy standard of hitting a groundhog reliably from 200 or 300 yards. I like the idea of a non-semi auto rifle just for the reduced sound.

In particular the rifles that have caught my eye are the ruger ranch and mossberg patrol, and those are strictly because they each use an AR-15 magazine so that'd be nice to not have to worry about buying additional mags. I've also considered a barrel for my encore, but I don't see those out there.

Surely I'm not the only guy who's had this thought process before, so what did you all come up with?

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I've got the Ruger Ranch and its pretty good for a 400 dollar gun! Bolt is decent but the way the mag locks in is kind of wobbly. With that being said I have had no feed issues using Magpul and Lancer marked 300 blackout mags.

I do not have my suppressor yet...still in jail. But I've worked up subsonic loads this summer and am ready! If I like it enough I may build out an 8.5" AR for fun.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I'll second the Ruger American Ranch. The factory stock is a little flimsy, but should be accurate enough. Magpul makes replacement stocks for around $250.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I'll second the Ruger American Ranch. The factory stock is a little flimsy, but should be accurate enough. Magpul makes replacement stocks for around $250.
    I’ve heard the Magpul models only fit short action non AR may models?
    Boyd’s makes a stock for them though ranging 150 and up. They let you select the model exactly.

I’m on month 9 of my 30cal can wait. I’m hoping to get it soon so I can shoot it before it gets too cold out. I’ve worked up a load of 9.3gr of H110 with 220gr Berrys plated bullets. Averaging about 1060fps out of my 16” gun

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I have a Ruger American Compact that I intend to do the same thing. Waiting on my can, hope to get it before hunting season. With standard velocity ammo, accuracy is good, shot a coyote 2 years ago at 165. Haven't tried subs yet. Will work on it in Oct.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm glad to hear some good accounts of Ruger American Ranch rifles. From what I've been reading online, that rifle seems to be a great value for the money.

I hadn't thought about a magpul hunter stock on it, and searched on brownells to see if the question had been asked and answered to confirm. That the magpul hunter will NOT fit the ranch due to the different magazines. Great idea though. That'd make an awesome distributor special though.

Back before the pandemic and following buying craze I had seen those selling for $350 on gunbroker and now I completely regret not having bought one.

efd1295

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Northern IN
    Another Ruger Ranch owner here. Yes it’s suppressed, and yes it’s quiet, like movie quiet. Quieter than a pellet gun. I can hear the bullet hit the cardboard at 100y. However, that’s with hand loads. Your going to have a hard time with a subsonic round out to 2-300 yards. Impossible? No, but certainly more difficult and keep it quiet. Still a lot of fun. No problems with mags or feeding.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I’ve heard the Magpul models only fit short action non AR may models?
    Boyd’s makes a stock for them though ranging 150 and up. They let you select the model exactly.

I’m on month 9 of my 30cal can wait. I’m hoping to get it soon so I can shoot it before it gets too cold out. I’ve worked up a load of 9.3gr of H110 with 220gr Berrys plated bullets. Averaging about 1060fps out of my 16” gun

Yeah you are right. I guess I'm going to have to return the one that just came this week or wait until they eventually release the new magazine that their website says is coming this fall.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Yeah you are right. I guess I'm going to have to return the one that just came this week or wait until they eventually release the new magazine that their website says is coming this fall.
    Sorry to burst your bubble! Hopefully that version comes out soon or I’ll have to pull the trigger on the Boyd’s.

I’ve been getting about 1.5” groups at 50 yards with a 6x 300BLK reticle. For subs 6x should be plenty but doesn’t feel like enough

Anyways 300 bolt guns are going to be a lot of fun! Called the ATF today and still pending on my 30cal can.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I can’t comment on the two rifles, other than I had a Mossberg 223 that used AR mags a few years back and it ran well and was accurate. I’ve got several buddies with various ruger Americans and they all like them.

I can say that a locked breech 300 blk is a fun gun to shoot! I rebarreleed a Savage several years ago. It was super quiet, suppressed with my hand loads. Ended up selling it to a buddy to use for his younger son. I also built up a side charging AR with an adjustable gas block. I mainly shot it all the way closed so it worked like a sling loaded straight pull bolt action. It was also very quiet and a lot of fun. That one is gone now too, but I have something similar, I had AllenM thread my old Rossi 92 in .357 for my 9mm can any with 38 specials, it’s super quiet! My wife loves shooting it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not familiar with this cartridge other than it works well in the AR platform. What is close to it in older conventional bolt cartridges?

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Sorry to burst your bubble! Hopefully that version comes out soon or I’ll have to pull the trigger on the Boyd’s.

I’ve been getting about 1.5” groups at 50 yards with a 6x 300BLK reticle. For subs 6x should be plenty but doesn’t feel like enough

Anyways 300 bolt guns are going to be a lot of fun! Called the ATF today and still pending on my 30cal can.

Not familiar with this cartridge other than it works well in the AR platform. What is close to it in older conventional bolt cartridges?
    Pretty close to 7.62x39.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It’s a reloader’s dream and lends itself well to using cast bullets. 7.62x39 is ballistically close, but .30-30 is the closest non-autoloader round that is similar. 300blk is a little less, but you get the idea.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    In particular the rifles that have caught my eye are the ruger ranch and mossberg patrol, and those are strictly because they each use an AR-15 magazine so that'd be nice to not have to worry about buying additional mags. I've also considered a barrel for my encore, but I don't see those out there.
    I was looking for a bolt 300blk for quite awhile and ended up giving up. I have a shorty 308 now that I load 150gr subs with frequently and it's hilariously fun.

That being said, I looked at the Encore at one point. Matchgrade Machine and EABCO both make barrels. I'm sure there are more out there. Looks like base price is in the $300-$400 range.

You can make subs run out to 300+. It's not easy, but it's a fun challenge. I've pushed 245gr subs out to 300 with a Primary Arms 1-6x and an 8.5" AR-15. The drop was hilarious. I've heard of some guys going out to 1,000. They said the round is basically dropping on the target at that distance. Look up Alabama Arsenal for that video.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I'll throw these options out that i haven't seen mentioned. Not sure on your budget..
    • You could always do a Remington 700 pattern receiver with the PTG bottom metal that takes AR mags and get a savage style barrel for it.
    • There is also the Q Mini-Fix, that takes AR15 mags.
    • Black collar arms Pork Sword is another option but doesn't take AR mags.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'll throw these options out that i haven't seen mentioned. Not sure on your budget..
    • You could always do a Remington 700 pattern receiver with the PTG bottom metal that takes AR mags and get a savage style barrel for it.
    • There is also the Q Mini-Fix, that takes AR15 mags.
    • Black collar arms Pork Sword is another option but doesn't take AR mags.

I've seen those and also the Christensen Arms MPR has something similar. Unfortunately all of those are priced well above $1k before optics and for what I'd like.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK with my Form 1 can.
    Groups ~1.2" at 100 yards.
    5 supers (factory) and then 5 subs (my reloads).

Here:
    (Apologies for the wind noise. It was a very windy day at Elwood CC)

DM me if you have questions.

What load are you running for subs if you don't mind.

I'm using 220gr plated Berrys and 9.3gr of H110. Average was about 1060fps. Haven't tested it with a can because I'm still waiting. But my SD is all over the place and I'll get a random shot at like 1100fps about every 1 out of 10 shots

Top Bottom