Those funny moments when you realize that you just screwed up, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to fix it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Moved into my house.

Didn't have a stove for a week or two.

Dad comes over we install it.

He leaves. I closed the door separating the house from kitchen. A few hours later, I step into the kitchen you could see the gas fumes in the air.

We forgot to light the oven pilot.

I pulled the stove out and turned off the gas. Opened the door that lead to the garage turned in the stove fan. Opened the garage door. So it could air out.

Close off the kitchen go back to watching tv.

Few hours pass. I jump in the shower. I noticed the drained is clogged with hair.

Decide to go out to the garage to get a screw driver to open it up.

In one move jump from kitchen to garage. Garage door wide open. Still day light and I'm stark ass naked. Dove back into the kitchen and reach out to close doors.

Hey brand new neighbors, I'm the weird new naked guy.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Moved into my house.

Didn't have a stove for a week or two.

Dad comes over we install it.

He leaves. I closed the door separating the house from kitchen. A few hours later, I step into the kitchen you could see the gas fumes in the air.

We forgot to light the oven pilot.

I pulled the stove out and turned off the gas. Opened the door that lead to the garage turned in the stove fan. Opened the garage door. So it could air out.

Close off the kitchen go back to watching tv.

Few hours pass. I jump in the shower. I noticed the drained is clogged with hair.

Decide to go out to the garage to get a screw driver to open it up.

In one move jump from kitchen to garage. Garage door wide open. Still day light and I'm stark ass naked. Dove back into the kitchen and reach out to close doors.

Hey brand new neighbors, I'm the weird new naked guy.
    I know your pain!!
    In the above mentioned garage I came home from work, dirty as usual. Wife/kids not home yet so I close the door and disrobe completely, intending to put all the dirty stuff in the laundry on the way to the shower. I am completely naked when the garage door starts to open as my wife drives into the driveway with the kids!! As luck would have it the inside door was still locked so I was caught exposed to everyone in the neighbor hood. Wife wasn't any help, she sat laughing at me in the van.....

Don

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will tell on myself again. The house we used to own had a laundry room between the kitchen and the garage. If you come into the garage from there a right turn and 6' takes you to a door with the garbage cans outside. The garage was my shop with all my woodworking/metalworking tools in it and I kept it well lighted and organized .

One of the chores assigned to my teenage daughter was to take the garbage out to the cans. Typical of teenagers you had to remind them to do that. One very hot summer day I came home from work. As I was dirty and sweaty, I entered thru the garage to drop my clothes in the laundry before hitting the shower. Raise the garage door and a leaky bag of garbage was sitting on the floor and had cooked in the heat all day, the smell was......well....notable. Now I am pissed, instead of going 6' farther, evidently an impossibility for a teenager, and putting it in the cans it was dropped where it was.

So being mad I did the only natural thing, I kicked it. Spreading it all over and knocking a garden rake off the wall. The rake handle hit me on the forehead, still being mad I back handed the rake which bounced up and broke a brand new 8' fluorescent light I had installed in that area.

As I stood there with glass falling on my head I realized I had lost. I surrendered. Cleaned up the mess, put the garbage in the can, got a ladder and fixed the light, went in and took a shower after a stiff shot of bourbon. :dunno:

Don
    I have a similar story from back in the “Cloth” baby diaper days and a toilet.
    But I think I will leave it at that.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I know your pain!!
    In the above mentioned garage I came home from work, dirty as usual. Wife/kids not home yet so I close the door and disrobe completely, intending to put all the dirty stuff in the laundry on the way to the shower. I am completely naked when the garage door starts to open as my wife drives into the driveway with the kids!! As luck would have it the inside door was still locked so I was caught exposed to everyone in the neighbor hood. Wife wasn't any help, she sat laughing at me in the van.....

Don
    I swear I told my wife I wasn’t the only person that threw everything in the laundry and headed across the house to the shower, naked as a Jay bird, then I remembered her mom was staying a few days! Luckily got in the bathroom before she popped out to see who was home!

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    My mom gave us several large cans of food once. The kids were little so we used a lot of food. Found 2 cans of baked beans in the pantry that had expired, they weighed maybe 5 lbs each. First thing I thought was TARGETS!!!!

Set them up and let loose on the first one with a 45-70 round from a Marlin lever action. Really cool, it just exploded and disappeared!!

Walked a little closer and shot the second one. It too just disappeared. I was thinking "How cool is this!!" when baked beans started raining on me from the sky..... They were all over my rifle, my hair, my clothes, the truck - which had the windows open. They were even in the pocket of my shirt and down my neck.

Don

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    My mom gave us several large cans of food once. The kids were little so we used a lot of food. Found 2 cans of baked beans in the pantry that had expired, they weighed maybe 5 lbs each. First thing I thought was TARGETS!!!!

Set them up and let loose on the first one with a 45-70 round from a Marlin lever action. Really cool, it just exploded and disappeared!!

Walked a little closer and shot the second one. It too just disappeared. I was thinking "How cool is this!!" when baked beans started raining on me from the sky..... They were all over my rifle, my hair, my clothes, the truck - which had the windows open. They were even in the pocket of my shirt and down my neck.

Don

Thank you! Observation noted and lesson learned without experiencing!

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    My son did something similar with popcorn. He put it in the microwave and walked off. Not sure just how long he set it for, but it was far too long. I'm surprised it didn't catch on fire, it was a solid fused black brick. Everytime we used the microwave after that it smelled like burnt popcorn.
    If you have this problem in the future, place a bowl of vanilla extract in the microwave when not in use to remove the smell. It may take a few days.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I am wearing a brace on my right wrist for carpal tunnel, in the process of getting it addressed medically. Twice in the last 2 days I left it in my Jeep in the driveway. My wife went out in the rain TWICE to get it for me [I didn't have my pants on...well I was on INGO!!].............Both times it was in the house..........:dunno:

Don

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    "Those funny moments when you realize that you just screwed up, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to fix it."

Many years ago I installed one of those corkscrew dog stakes about 10-12 feet from my back door, 4 feet from the house.
    It was the heavy type with abase and round eye for screwing into the ground (about 18" long).
    I'm twisting away, everything is going well, until I hit a solid stop. I figure it's just a rock buried in the ground and give it a harder twist. I feel a "pop" as it turns. The I hear a hissing sound quickly followed by the odor associated with NATURAL GAS.
    My very first thought was... "How am I going to fix this".
    My next thought was... "Natural gas is spewing out of the ground, right next to the house".
    I called the local utility and report the leak. First guy on the scene digs up the yellow plastic line, folds it back onto itself and clamps it with some vice grips.
    He said the line was buried too shallow and that he'd note that on his report. Four MORE utility trucks later and the leak was fixed.
    I get a $330 repair charge on my next gas/electric bill. I had just finished a two year go-round with an insurance company over my truck, their client hit and totaled.
    I had no fight left in me... I just paid the bill and moved on with my life.

IndianaTim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    At work one day several years ago. Quitting time I decided to stop at a gun store on the way home. Had my purchase in a bag when I left, can't remember what it was. They had a soda machine outside the door and I wanted one for the long drive home. It was about to rain, you know those kind where it will be a downpour with thunder/lightning just winding up to let loose. Put 4 quarters in and it spit one back out. Put it back in again same result. Started to rain like h**l, really wanted the soda so kept putting the quarter back in repeatedly. Now I was stubborn pissed. The machine was not going to beat me!! About the time I was soaked with water running out of my shoes I looked and the price was $.75. If I had pushed the button it would have worked......:dunno::dunno:

Don
    Not fun but better than what I thought you were going to say happened. I thought you bought a drink and left your other purchase sitting there for someone else to come along and take for their own.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    "Those funny moments when you realize that you just screwed up, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to fix it."

Many years ago I installed one of those corkscrew dog stakes about 10-12 feet from my back door, 4 feet from the house.
    It was the heavy type with abase and round eye for screwing into the ground (about 18" long).
    I'm twisting away, everything is going well, until I hit a solid stop. I figure it's just a rock buried in the ground and give it a harder twist. I feel a "pop" as it turns. The I hear a hissing sound quickly followed by the odor associated with NATURAL GAS.
    My very first thought was... "How am I going to fix this".
    My next thought was... "Natural gas is spewing out of the ground, right next to the house".
    I called the local utility and report the leak. First guy on the scene digs up the yellow plastic line, folds it back onto itself and clamps it with some vice grips.
    He said the line was buried too shallow and that he'd note that on his report. Four MORE utility trucks later and the leak was fixed.
    I get a $330 repair charge on my next gas/electric bill. I had just finished a two year go-round with an insurance company over my truck, their client hit and totaled.
    I had no fight left in me... I just paid the bill and moved on with my life.
    I worked with a guy that hit one using a rental excavator. Cost him north of $5,000, and yes, he has the utilities located, unfortunately he was within the 16” threshold they give themselves.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I worked with a guy that hit one using a rental excavator. Cost him north of $5,000, and yes, he has the utilities located, unfortunately he was within the 16” threshold they give themselves.
    Former life, my crew hit a water main (right on a valve!) in Madison, sanitary sewer in Pendleton, and a F/O line (twice!) up near DeMotte...I think.

Oh - and a residential gas line to a house in a 'hood not too far east outside of Ft. Wayne just off the south side of Illinois Rd / Rt 14.

All our ducks were in a row on all of those. And this was before 811 was 100% online for everything, too. The water line wasn't marked on that corner - but was everywhere else. The sanitary sewer in Pendleton wasn't marked because the city had no idea where it was, the locating service marked the wrong area when we hit the F/O line (other utilities were marked ...), and at that time, residential gas lines weren't locatable. It was just dumb blind luck we found that one.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Former life, my crew hit a water main (right on a valve!) in Madison, sanitary sewer in Pendleton, and a F/O line (twice!) up near DeMotte...I think.

Oh - and a residential gas line to a house in a 'hood not too far east outside of Ft. Wayne just off the south side of Illinois Rd / Rt 14.

All our ducks were in a row on all of those. And this was before 811 was 100% online for everything, too. The water line wasn't marked on that corner - but was everywhere else. The sanitary sewer in Pendleton wasn't marked because the city had no idea where it was, the locating service marked the wrong area when we hit the F/O line (other utilities were marked ...), and at that time, residential gas lines weren't locatable. It was just dumb blind luck we found that one.
    The company I work for now has a demo crew, they were demo’ing a building in Columbus I think it was, hit the main power line to the hospital. That was a costly screw up!

matbmorr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2021
    Charlestown
    The company I work for now has a demo crew, they were demo’ing a building in Columbus I think it was, hit the main power line to the hospital. That was a costly screw up!
    That happened at my last job, too! Demo-ing an old infirmary next to a nursing home (that I worked IT for) and the guy hit the main power line with the backhoe.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Deer hunting in a stand, decide to get down a little early and lower by bow on a string. Just then a buck is walking towards my stand! I pull the bow up slowly so he doesn't see it, as he closes the gap very fast. By the time I get the bow and arrow out he is right underneath me and stops. Its very quiet and I nock a arrow on the string very quietly, but being quiet and moving slowly as I nock the arrow, I don't fully seat the arrow to the string......I did not know this. I watch as the buck is straight below me smelling my steps. I pulled back and lower my bow and aiming straight down....I got this buck!!!! Then to my total horror....I still remember the horror, I saw my arrow leave my bow and drift away straight down...while I am still at full draw. It clangs off a couple branches and lands next to the buck and he departs rather quickly. For about 5 minutes I stayed at full draw in total depression and shock.....its only funny if your not me.

Top Bottom