• ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Common Sense Advise...

1. Start with some kind of EDUCATION, particularly in safety!
    2. DO NOT spend a ton of money on a top end press, all the 'Gadgets' until you learn the basics.

The first press I bought was a RCBS 'Rock Chucker' and they are still reasonable priced, do excellent, repeatable work.
    A second choice would be something like a Lee Classic 'Turret' that allows you to keep dies set up.
    *IF* you decide to do more laters that single or tool head press partners with the much more advanced and higher production presses as a tool/teardown/small batch press. image_zpsfdtjlssm (1).jpg

No 'Mystery' rounds on the bench EVER.
    If something doesn't make the grade, is suspect, then tear it down immedately.

3. Don't believe ANYTHING you find on the random internet sites!
    Between misprints, bad ideas and outright lying... If it doesn't come from the manufacturer, and you don't have 3 sources of load data to cross check, don't do it.
    Every manufacturer has load data on their web sites, and every manufacturer has booklets they give away through retailers for free.
    Just no excuse for not double/triple checking the load data.

4. Decide WHY you want to reload.
    If it's to 'Save Money' on random ammo, that's never going to happen.
    If it's to make random/crap ammo, that's dangerous.

If it's to make premium ammo (which takes quite a lot of education/time/attention to details) then you might be into something.
    You *CAN* make premium ammo for 35¢-65¢ a round that you would normally pay up to $1-$3 each for, but the education is a big time consumer.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You absolutely should learn. Personally I save no money reloading, but I get better ammo, and enjoy it. Now is just not the time. Give it a couple years, and jump in with both feet.

This is the best advice so far.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Personally, I'm glad I started with a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker kit. I learned everything slowly and methodically that way. When I ran out of patience, I sold the rock chucker and got a Dillon 550B. A while later I got the RCBS chargemaster 1500 combo and that setup is what I'm still using today. With reloading I like the idea of getting started slowly and understanding everything you're doing as you go. I got going in '02 pre youtube. I learned how to get started by watching VHS tapes on setting up dies. With online videos now, it's a lot easier to get going if you're more of a visual learner.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    If you have plenty of ammunition that you bought at pre-pandemic prices, then this would be a bad time to get in to it. If you have neither 9mm ammunition nor reloading components, then buying the components at current prices and making your own is still cheaper than purchasing factory ammunition. I made the decision to reload in late winter of 2014 in conditions similar to today. I waited two more years for prices to come down and spent the time researching what I wanted and slowly getting everything together.

Keep in mind that you should be available to find powder and bullets fairly easily. In fact, if you are wanting to reload 9mm, where I work we get both components in regularly. You might have to have a 2nd or 3rd choice for powder but we do get them in. The trick is being there at the right time since both powder and bullets are selling fast usually within a day of placing them on the shelf. Primers are the hard ones and unless you just happen to stumble on them right when Grafs, Powder Valley, or Natchez Shooting Supply is stocking their website, you may have to purchase those at a local gun show or at Gun Broker's inflated prices. You will pay more but you will be able to get started right away.

Here is one Youtube video I watched years ago that helped demystify the process and made me realize that reloading wasn't some mysterious thing only a select few could understand: (38) Reloading Tutorial - 9mm Part 1 - YouTube

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I mildly disagree with this statement.

Now is the time to start reading, researching, watching every video he can. Buy himself a VERY SIMPLE single stage press once he finds a few components (presses, to my knowledge have NOT increased in price) and start learning!

I got into reloading during the Sandy hook shortage and it FORCED me to go slow, learn the proper way to do things, and gain a genuine interest in the process.

All that being said, there’s no substitute for hands on experience.

OP, keep your eyes peeled for components and hit me up when you have enough to make 100 rounds of your favorite caliber and I’ll offer to spend a few hours with you in the bat cave and show you the ropes.
    Thanks man. I sincerely appreciate that. I wasn’t raised around guns at all. So I got into things this past year with 80% builds. And I’ve done quite a bit so far. Can you suggest a good press to start with? I prefer to get a nice one that will last a lifetime.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Thanks man. I sincerely appreciate that. I wasn’t raised around guns at all. So I got into things this past year with 80% builds. And I’ve done quite a bit so far. Can you suggest a good press to start with? I prefer to get a nice one that will last a lifetime.

I was in the same boat as you and didn’t have guns in the family growing up. I joined the Marine Corps when I was 28 so they would teach me how to shoot, lol...I guess you could say I learned the hard way!

I personally started with an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit and if I had to do it all over again, I’d choose the exact same setup! It has everything you need except your first set of dies (and components, of course) and I still use ALL of the equipment I bout in that package deal. The press is one of the most ‘tried and true’ out there and will never really leave you wanting for anything more unless you plan to do a lot of volume down the road (in which case, plan to buy a Dillon in the future.)

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit

click that link to see what I’m referring to, but I think you can find them a LOT cheaper than that...like $350-$400?

But like I said, first things first and find yourself some components (100 of each [bullets/primers/brass] will be PLENTY for your first reloading session...it’s a VERY slow process as first when you’re learning everything) and let me know when you have some time to learn the basics. I’ll cover you for powder because it’s not really something you can buy just a small amount of and I’ve been hoarding, ahem, I mean collecting powder since I started in 2014.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    It can be intimidating at first, but then it is very rewarding! Don't be afraid to start with a single stage until you get the basics down and then decide if you want to continue or what level you want to move up to. And get manuals. And read them. Good luck!

p.s. I am not a 5,000 rounds a month guy, so Lee turret works well for me. Affordable even in the current market. Like the other guys said, it's the components that will be a problem at this point in time.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I was in the same boat as you and didn’t have guns in the family growing up. I joined the Marine Corps when I was 28 so they would teach me how to shoot, lol...I guess you could say I learned the hard way!

I personally started with an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit and if I had to do it all over again, I’d choose the exact same setup! It has everything you need except your first set of dies (and components, of course) and I still use ALL of the equipment I bout in that package deal. The press is one of the most ‘tried and true’ out there and will never really leave you wanting for anything more unless you plan to do a lot of volume down the road (in which case, plan to buy a Dillon in the future.)

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit

click that link to see what I’m referring to, but I think you can find them a LOT cheaper than that...like $350-$400?

But like I said, first things first and find yourself some components (100 of each [bullets/primers/brass] will be PLENTY for your first reloading session...it’s a VERY slow process as first when you’re learning everything) and let me know when you have some time to learn the basics. I’ll cover you for powder because it’s not really something you can buy just a small amount of and I’ve been hoarding, ahem, I mean collecting powder since I started in 2014.
    I finally have plenty of all the components I need but now the hard part.

I’ve been looking online for a couple of days looking for a dice it but they’re all out of stock. Granted I’m only looking for the Cadillac of dies namely redding competition and titanium carbide, But nothing to be found.
    I’ve back ordered 9 mm Luger it says 1 to 3 months.
    Same for the RCBS presses, none in stock, dammit.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I bought a Lee Classic Turret Press kit a few years ago for pretty cheap. Got 9mm dies, a pound of powder and 1k each of primers and projectiles. It's been sitting in the closet for at least 5 years now because I live in an apartment and haven't been motivated enough to set it up yet. I've collected more than enough brass in that time to load that first thousand rounds.

It appears now is the time.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I finally have plenty of all the components I need but now the hard part.

I’ve been looking online for a couple of days looking for a dice it but they’re all out of stock. Granted I’m only looking for the Cadillac of dies namely redding competition and titanium carbide, But nothing to be found.
    I’ve back ordered 9 mm Luger it says 1 to 3 months.
    Same for the RCBS presses, none in stock, dammit.

I had no idea there was a run on dies too! I guess it makes sense though given the circumstances with ammo prices.

I need to list my extra Dillon Precision carbide die sets on EBay. I think I have 9mm, 45acp, 44 magnum, and 357 magnum.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    When you shoot, the brass stretches to the chamber. The resize die (often pushes out the spent primer as well) crushes the case back down to pre-fired size.

Example, I just put my micrometer on a fired case. It measures .386 inches. Sent it through resize and it's .377". Second case, .389". Resized the same, .377".

This is also the main reason brass wears out. When it stretches, it thins. When you crush it down, it doesn't get thicker, it gets longer. Slowly, the brass just gets thinner and thinner until it fails. This also work hardens the brass. You see this discussed with rifle brass and annealing to soften it. Most of us don't go that far. For me, when my brass hits the need for a second trim, it's a good indicator it's getting thin, so it's trash.

Last edited:

streetsamurai7

Dungeon Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    I started out with the Lee Precision Breech Lock Challenger Kit, which came with everything I needed to get started. I also considered it a bonus that none of the components require electricity to run.

As everyone said, not a great time to get into reloading, or be in reloading in general depending on where you live, but there is never a bad time to learn and plan.

And, for me at least, the satisfaction of putting a bullet I loaded by hand onto a target is hard to beat.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I just watched a YouTube video from the President of CCI Winchester Federal. All owned by the same company. All primers manufactured will be used to load there boxed ammo. If you don't have primers now you probably won't find them outside of scalper prices

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    You absolutely should learn. Personally I save no money reloading, but I get better ammo, and enjoy it. Now is just not the time. Give it a couple years, and jump in with both feet.

I'm with vette on this one. I've saved zero dollars since I started but I have a hobby I enjoy and it keeps me well supplied for times like these. Do I have as much as I'd like? No...but then neither does anyone else. It's a never ending cycle.

Social media reloading groups are largely a waste of time as has been mentioned above. Youtube has a few good resources still that go through the entire process and follow the proper data.

You don't have to have many components to get your feet wet. Get a tumbler, press, and dies and start depriming and cleaning your brass. You'll develop confidence in using the equipment without risking blowing your face off. Many will suggest a rock chucker and it's a great press but terrible for volume shooting. Do people do volume loading on single stage presses? Sure, but they also spend a lot more time reloading than I can afford. My wife and kids demand my time too. I started on a simple turret press and I still have all of my appendages so I can confidently suggest the same to you. Lee makes a great starter kit based around their turret press and it will treat you well without overloading a new reloader.

bcsatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2021
    Farmland
    I'm in your boat man. I've been dipping a toe in the water for 10 years regarding reloading. I used to stockpile ammo but have shot up most of it. Just grab reloading manuals, watch youtube, even watch the the bad ones, and ask questions. I'm building a house and will be done in the fall of this year, not going to buy my kit until then, I will have a heated and cooled garage for reloading. No reason in being in any hurry at all.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    To me reloading is a hobby I love to do. Back before the insanity started you could actually buy 9mm cheaper than you could reload it. Same for 556. My how things change in less than a year.

Get started and it will save you money in the years to come. My reloading just the last 6 months has paid for my reloading equipment several times over. However, I've been reloading since I was 22. Very enjoyable and helps get your mind off everyday problems and stress.

After all these years reloading I'm still learning new tricks of the trade so to speak.

Now days I'm wanting to start casting bullets. Never done it before but thinking about getting into it. Make my own 21 BNH hard cast alloy bullets.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I bought a 38 spl revolver in '90. A box of ammo was $5 back then. Could find reloads at some stores for $4. Carrying a lot of ammo to the range was high dollar for me. Some of my coworkers reloaded, mostly shot shells and I learned on their presses. There wasn't internet back then. I saw an ad in Shotgun News, can't remember the name of the company now. I bought a Lee Precision Challenger Kit with 38 spl dies for less than $85 shipped. Bullets, powder and primers were all I needed. I was able to reload for about 3.85 per box with what I found local. Another ad from Shotgun News I bought 2 sleeves of primers for $140. That was a savings of 20 to 50 cents per pack local. I wanted to reload cheaper so I bought a mold. Not counting the bullets I was able to reload for $1.75 per box.

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    Very first step, take the NRA Reloading class. Currently, finding mentor to share equipment would be wise. We are holding classes, or trying to, and letting several others use equipment. Start with a single stage press to learn, still will be using it years later, even if you go to a progressive.

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    All I can say is good luck
    All components for reloading are getting scarce and when you can find them, are 3 or 4 times the price, especially primers. Looking like die sets have doubled in price as well, if you can even find them in stock.
    Not a good time to get into reloading at all
    If you had a reloading set up already what is your cost for making 9mm ammo? I have always wondered.

Top Bottom