Thinking about buying a half or full cow.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Well, I went to Colfax and got the cow and brought it home.

I'm very very glad it was a small beast. VERY very glad it was a small beast.

We'd been burning through as much freezer stuff as we could the last 2 weeks, too. And if it weren't for dragging the turkey out of there yesterday (to roast on Sunday) - There wouldn't have been room.

My only real First World Complant would be the plastic vacuum-sealed packaging. That stuff is too slick to really stack well in an upright freezer. I could've gotten more in there if it was wrapped in butcher paper.
    I have boxes in my upright helping hold things together. Paper slides out as well.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have boxes in my upright helping hold things together. Paper slides out as well.
    We should probably get some kind of boxes. But I've got it all in there for now.

And the paper we got the last two times from a place in Lafayette - didn't slide around much at all.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't use boxes, and I don't have a lot of trouble with mine. I can stack pds of ground beef to fill a whole shelf three or four high even

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Just placed our annual order for a 1/2 cow. Won't see it till April. My beef guy is a sheriff that also owns a farm. The meat has been phenomenal from him. Only thing I have to do is fill out a form with what cuts, package size, and thickness of steaks. Gets delivered to me vacuum sealed and flash frozen.

I also use boxes, but it's more to keep beef,chicken, and pork separated.

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    Any suggestions on a farm or butcher to use? New to this. Just now have a huge deep freeze and a friend who wants to go in on it with me. Would love to have a fully stocked freezer. Thanks everyone.
    If you're from the NE Manly Meats is awesome. They have great cuts, jerky and customize everything. May be a little bit pricey but it's worth it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you're from the NE Manly Meats is awesome. They have great cuts, jerky and customize everything. May be a little bit pricey but it's worth it.
    I love seeing the great big cans of Manly Chunks of Beef. Makes me giggle every time.

Ahhhh....Bluffton.

Almost time for Street Fair. There's some mighty fine people-watching to be had there.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I lucked out & had a buddy contact me with a cell issue and got added to his beef list on monday & will have my 1/4 by the end of this month. I love bulk beef & now I get to make some biltong without it costing me $20. I need to look at better ways to preserve it also.

Top Bottom