Thinking about buying a half or full cow.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    Any suggestions on a farm or butcher to use? New to this. Just now have a huge deep freeze and a friend who wants to go in on it with me. Would love to have a fully stocked freezer. Thanks everyone.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    I don't have any experience either, but I've heard that's the most economical way to do it. Maybe those places that gregr mentioned do processing though, so they may still be an option.
    Also recall reading someone saying butchers are booked weeks if not months out. No idea if true or not.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Most processors are booking 6 to 18 months out. Demand is high, and expect prices to be higher than previous years. Still the least expensive way to have the meat you want. Cost will be around $1200 for 1/2 beef and processing. Find a farmer local to you and ask about buying a live animal and having them ship it to your processor, but call the processor first to find out what their scheduling is like.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I just buy a whole beef, butcher it in my garage, but i only do it in the dead of winter!! Processing fees are getting so expensive that it is almost as cheap or cheaper to by beef in the store when it is on sale!! As to butchering i don't process hogs any more though

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Often the butcher can source the animal, but is costs. I prefer my butcher vacuum seals as opposed to using white paper. Butchers are very busy from mid July into February. I suggest getting your animal butchered off season, so spring or summer.

-28 years of experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We went in with our extended family for one two different times. I wasnt impressed. Quality of meat was inferior to store bought, and although it WAS a little cheaper, I dont plan on doing it again.

Then again I prefer my steaks on the thicker side, but we had no input on the cuts. Just "hey we are going in, we are ordering it. Your cut is $X We will bring you yours when we get it. "

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    Most processors are booking 6 to 18 months out. Demand is high, and expect prices to be higher than previous years. Still the least expensive way to have the meat you want. Cost will be around $1200 for 1/2 beef and processing. Find a farmer local to you and ask about buying a live animal and having them ship it to your processor, but call the processor first to find out what their scheduling is like.
    Great info. Thanks.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Love buying our beef like this, best ground beef I've ever had and I like getting cuts I never thought to buy in the store like oxtail haha
    We get a lot of round steak , it's about 3/4 thick and I never really bought any in the store but now I've found about a million ways to cook it , with a good long dry brine it's not half bad as just a grilled steak either

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We went in with our extended family for one two different times. I wasnt impressed. Quality of meat was inferior to store bought, and although it WAS a little cheaper, I dont plan on doing it again.

Then again I prefer my steaks on the thicker side, but we had no input on the cuts. Just "hey we are going in, we are ordering it. Your cut is $X We will bring you yours when we get it. "
    That was on the people you went in with. Every butcher we have used will cut it the way you want it. You get the cuts you want, packaged the sizes you want.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Most processors will also work with local farmers to get animals if you don't know any. We've purchased them both ways.

Top Bottom