Thing I sold is now in police possession.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    I just learned that a completed lower I sold to someone a few weeks ago has been confiscated. The person claimed all his firearms were taken because he had an ND at home and someone called the police, and they suspected him of 'racketeering' since he had a number of them. My name is on the FFL transfer of the original purchase, but was sold via private sale. Do I need to worry at all about a knock on my door?
    Highly doubt you will get a knock at your door. A few years ago I was trying to sell a Glock I bought used to a police officer. Turns out it was stolen and they confiscated it from me. I met the policeman at aga's station and was immediately surrounded by several cars of ATF agents. I told them the information of the gentleman I bought it from and about 6 months later I contacted the ATF agent to see if they found anything out, since I was trying to recover my money, but he said they hadn't looked into it. I messaged the guy that sold me the stolen gun and asked him about it. He said no one contacted him about it and he didn't know it was stolen so sorry about the $500 I paid for it, it's not his problem. It seems once they recovered the gun they had no interest in pursuing it any further.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Highly doubt you will get a knock at your door. A few years ago I was trying to sell a Glock I bought used to a police officer. Turns out it was stolen and they confiscated it from me. I met the policeman at aga's station and was immediately surrounded by several cars of ATF agents. I told them the information of the gentleman I bought it from and about 6 months later I contacted the ATF agent to see if they found anything out, since I was trying to recover my money, but he said they hadn't looked into it. I messaged the guy that sold me the stolen gun and asked him about it. He said no one contacted him about it and he didn't know it was stolen so sorry about the $500 I paid for it, it's not his problem. It seems once they recovered the gun they had no interest in pursuing it any further.
    This is why you hide the serial numbers in the photos.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Don't know he did get a bill of sale after the fact. Might look suspicious to investigating folks if the guy does have issues.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Don't know he did get a bill of sale after the fact. Might look suspicious to investigating folks if the guy does have issues.
    Unless it's notarized, a bill of sale isn't a water tight piece of evidence.

In this case, it only proves what is evident - the OP sold the gun to Mr. Coonfinger.

Mr. Coonfinger is possessing the gun, it wasn't reported as stolen, so why would it need investigating?
    The only time you'd need to trace a gun is to find the owner, which they already have.
    AFAIK, tracing a gun takes time and effort, so why do it unless you have to?

The only possible reason, would be is if Mr. Coonfinger had a past felony and they wanted to know how he came to posses these firearms.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Unless it's notarized, a bill of sale isn't a water tight piece of evidence.

In this case, it only proves what is evident - the OP sold the gun to Mr. Coonfinger.

Mr. Coonfinger is possessing the gun, it wasn't reported as stolen, so why would it need investigating?
    The only time you'd need to trace a gun is to find the owner, which they already have.
    AFAIK, tracing a gun takes time and effort, so why do it unless you have to?

The only possible reason, would be is if Mr. Coonfinger had a past felony and they wanted to know how he came to posses these firearms.
    The OP did say the buyer was being investigated for racketeering. If the date on the bill of sale if any was after the day the buyer had his stuff taken looks suspicious. The OP also contacted the buyer after the fact for the bill of sale. Depending how much time they want to waste on this my suggestion is for the op to button up and not post anymore. Pretty sure its too late to nuke this thread from orbit

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The OP did say the buyer was being investigated for racketeering. If the date on the bill of sale if any was after the day the buyer had his stuff taken looks suspicious. The OP also contacted the buyer after the fact for the bill of sale. Depending how much time they want to waste on this my suggestion is for the op to button up and not post anymore. Pretty sure its too late to nuke this thread from orbit
    Stop giving out prudent advice!

If posters follow advice like that we'd never have the joys of wallet!

Top Bottom