• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The easy solution to this problem would be to require EV buyers to also install a couple solar panels on their homes to charge their EV.
    Yep, way more than a couple.

“So, it really depends on how far you plan on driving your car. If you’re taking short trips, then anywhere between 12-15 solar panels will be just fine. But if you need to fully juice your car every day, you might need more—as many as 25.”

And is your car at home when the sun shines to recharge it?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Ain"t the utopia great?

Wait until they start contolling their other "smart" property.
    I have told my children, and others, that anything with a wire connected to it can have data passed to it. Once everyone is forced to electric cars you will be at the mercy of those who control the grid unless you have an independent method of charging your vehicle, and even then the vehicle may be locked out of receiving power from an unapproved source.

Petroleum based fuels were developed in an era when control was not the imperative. 87 octane doesn't carry ones and zeros. It's far harder to selectively control individuals by preventing them from filling up the vehicle, so long as cash still exists.

Welcome to our brave New world where the Communists, and totalitarians, control when and where you can travel. Nothing to see here just move along, if you can.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I love putting a new ac in and telling the customer they have to call and get their cool ce ts box reconnected. 9 out of 10 ask what it is and why they even have it. After explaining someone in a nice cool office can shut your ac off whenever, most decide to not have it hooked up again.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I love putting a new ac in and telling the customer they have to call and get their cool ce ts box reconnected. 9 out of 10 ask what it is and why they even have it. After explaining someone in a nice cool office can shut your ac off whenever, most decide to not have it hooked up again.
    The platitudes sound great on a slick brochure, again it is the inability to think thing to logical conclusions. (critical thinking has been removed from education because it generates criticism.)

Dumbmasses indeed…

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Take it from a 47 year veteran of the HVACR trade. You can defeat your Smart T-stat with an old fashioned incandescent light bulb in a trouble light cord. Hang it 3-4 inches from the t-stat. The stat will sense the heat and cycle the unit on. A hair drier works also.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Take it from a 47 year veteran of the HVACR trade. You can defeat your Smart T-stat with an old fashioned incandescent light bulb in a trouble light cord. Hang it 3-4 inches from the t-stat. The stat will sense the heat and cycle the unit on. A hair drier works also.
    Except these smart stats and cool cents boxes don’t care. They keep the compressor off even though the stat is calling for cool. So the fan runs but no compressor. So you still only have air circulating with no cooling.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Except these smart stats and cool cents boxes don’t care. They keep the compressor off even though the stat is calling for cool. So the fan runs but no compressor. So you still only have air circulating with no cooling.
    AES sent me one of the Ecobee "smart thermostats". Thankfully I was too stupid to know how to install it. :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    AES sent me one of the Ecobee "smart thermostats". Thankfully I was too stupid to know how to install it. :):
    Install a smart stat, just don’t register it against your electric bill.

I’ve got smart stats at church but I refuse to associate with our account for just this reason.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Along with many other ingo members, Im quite certain as a Journeyman Elevator Mechanic I have the knowledge to get the compressor to run with two jumpers.
    Seems with reading this thread, reading a meter and simple math with ohms law escapes a few here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Along with many other ingo members, Im quite certain as a Journeyman Elevator Mechanic I have the knowledge to get the compressor to run with two jumpers.
    Seems with reading this thread, reading a meter and simple math with ohms law escapes a few here.
    Condescending much? But that’s to be expected from you. :rolleyes:

What you can’t figure out with your meter is that the average Joe can’t understand how to make it work. And that’s the point.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Condescending much? But that’s to be expected from you. :rolleyes:

What you can’t figure out with your meter is that the average Joe can’t understand how to make it work. And that’s the point.
    Im the condescending one. lol.
    You seem to roll that way when someone posts something your not happy with.

Im not the one baffled by a single throw gate switch.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    There isn’t enough roof/yard space to charge. An EV fast enough. Well, at least fast enough to actually go anywhere.

I know a lady who’s husband thought it was a great idea and bought one. (Without her) then his job was eliminated and he no longer was just driving in town. So her job (knightstown to to the east side of Indy) was now closer than his so she had to drive it.

They didn’t pay to install a rapid charger at home, so it would take 3 full days to charge from empty. And by Friday, she would have barely enough juice to make it home. As long as she didn’t use AC or the radio.

And I don’t think an average solar install would generate the current needed to charge quickly.

Especially overnight when most people are home and need to charge while they sleep. :facepalm:
    Yup. People seem to think EVs are like charging their phone and aren't actually MASSIVE energy draws.

Top Bottom