• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've had region pizza (bronkos) and couldn't disagree more. I'd choose Domino's 10/10 times over that garbage.
    I wouldn't go quite that far but then again I haven't been to Bronkos specifically. I've been to Albanos Villa a few times on the recommendation of a native of the Region (one with a bad case of Regionaires disease*) and it was pretty good, maybe even in the top 10 that I've been to. However, I've also been to more than one pizza place in the Region that I think got their pizza from Domino's or the school cafeteria. I'd take Pluto's, The Mill House, Jockamo's, and Oley's over Albanos any day and Bobe's or Turoni's most days.

Also, I consider anyone that likes pizza with more than half inch thick crust to be on par with people that like pineapple on pizza.

*Regionaires disease is a terrible affliction affecting many of those that live too close to Chicago causing them to rate things in the Region far higher than they are.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    While I have had excellent pizza in NYC I prefer the Chicago style deep dish if I had to chose.

This is why I always come back to Oleys on Jefferson in Fort Wayne. There is a reason they run on two to three hour waits on the weekend, the pizza is amazing.

Any out of towners want to make the drive look me up. I am always in the mood for a Coors Light and a deep dish sausage and pepperoni.
    Oley's is very good but it is not Chicago style. Chicago style is thick, often soggy, often undercooked dough. Oley's has two thin crusts separated by cheese, neither of which have ever been soggy or undercooked when I've had it. Not only is Oley's very good but 2 slices, maybe 3 if you're really hungry, is a substantial meal.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I seldom eat pizza out any more because I can make a better one at home then most places do at exorbitant prices.
    I am Italian and raised in a suburb of Chicago that was 98% Italian. Everyone made good pizza, thin crust and very crispy. I was around pizza all my life and yet, I cannot make a pizza if my life depended on it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    From a former region rat,

When someone grows up in tough circumstances, the things in life that are good become precious. Pizza is a good thing, and the Pizza we grew up enjoying will always be the best. No data is needed, outside approval is not needed. The good from home is always the best. I have eaten some pretty tasty Pizza from other parts of the country, but it is still a notch below the good things from home.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Oley's is very good but it is not Chicago style. Chicago style is thick, often soggy, often undercooked dough. Oley's has two thin crusts separated by cheese, neither of which have ever been soggy or undercooked when I've had it. Not only is Oley's very good but 2 slices, maybe 3 if you're really hungry, is a substantial meal.

Sounds like you have never had a good ****cago deep dish pizza.

Very sad.

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    There is a joint in Rockville that does Chicago Style on weekends (Aaron's on the Square). Would take next to Giardono's any day.

For different, Azzip in Terre Haute has the Ski/Grippos combo that is way better than it sounds.

Overpass in Covington makes a good pizza as well.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For Pizza King here is an article that explains why different ones are different.
    Very cool Tim! I didn't know that, but I did know that there were various "incarnations" of Pizza King. The one by me is Pizza King Station. It has a train that delivers your drinks to your booth and the grandkids love that.

1632870073715.png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think there is one in Lafayette as well. Been planing on going there, just never think of it when I'm there.
    Yes, I think you're right. I kind of remembered the train from when I lived in Lafayette back in the late 70's - early 80's. I can't remember where it was (hey, it was the late 70's and early 80's! ;) ) but I remember it.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Yes, I think you're right. I kind of remembered the train from when I lived in Lafayette back in the late 70's - early 80's. I can't remember where it was (hey, it was the late 70's and early 80's! ;) ) but I remember it.
    it was on teal road in jefferson square. it closed a few years ago. coincedentally, I picked up a 10" deluxe today from the newer location a couple miles south

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I am Italian and raised in a suburb of Chicago that was 98% Italian. Everyone made good pizza, thin crust and very crispy. I was around pizza all my life and yet, I cannot make a pizza if my life depended on it.

That's very brave of you to admit in public. :D

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I think, for a lot of people, what you consider a good pizza is greatly influenced by what you grew up with. For me, it was Bruno's in West Lafayette and Arni's in Lafayette. My first experience of a pizza was at Bruno's in the early/mid '60s. My wife and I still consider those two the best. I think Arni's may have started out as a Pizza King, but they upped the game with more sauce, more cheese and more toppings than a normal Pizza King puts on a pizza.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    it was on teal road in jefferson square. it closed a few years ago. coincedentally, I picked up a 10" deluxe today from the newer location a couple miles south
    Bummer, it sounded cool.

I think, for a lot of people, what you consider a good pizza is greatly influenced by what you grew up with. For me, it was Bruno's in West Lafayette and Arni's in Lafayette. My first experience of a pizza was at Bruno's in the early/mid '60s.
    I'm pretty sure that goes for a lot of food in general, what you grew up with is the best. It's why most people say their Mom's cooking was the best. Or why they like a certain kind of pizza, or pop, or..

And no offense but Arni's? We have one in town and while I think it's an okay pizza, but far from the best. But like you said, and I agree with. It's what you grew up with.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Sounds like you have never had a good ****cago deep dish pizza.

Very sad.
    Of course I haven't, such a thing doesn't exist. Making the worst part of the pizza the featured part of the pizza is exactly the kind of fail I expect from Chicago when it comes to food.

Top Bottom