• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I don't know anything about the original, but the Fishers Aurelio's is underwhelming at best. Tried to give them a fair shot and went three times. It wasn't bad, but just wasn't anything to write home about either.

I have tried the Fishers location....does not quite hit the mark.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Sad we are this far into a pizza thread and no one has mentioned Tony Impellizzerri's in New Albany. I have ate it for almost 30 years and it's still the best pizza I ever had. Sad part is Tony is retiring in November. Get it while you can!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The best I think is 10-56 brewery.
    Wooden Nickel in N. Judson use to have good pizza. I don't mind Aurelio's, Monical's, Gina Marie's. Albano's, which is what we always got at work it's a bit greasy.

Don't really get any chain pizza any longer.

So what's your favorite in the region @BigRed?

Tough to pick a favorite.

Thin crust would include:

Barton's in Highland
    Aurelio's (most any location there is good, but Homewood still seems to be a bit better)
    House of Pizza in Hammond
    Dante's in Munster
    Langel's in Highland

Deep dish would include:

Lou Malnati's in Lincolnwood (but rarely stop in IL if it can be avoided)
    Langel's in Highland

(The old Gino's East on E. Superior was good...back in the '70s - '80s. It has turned into nothing but a tourist trap with mediocre pizza)

All that said, I have rarely had a bad pizza in the Region if I stay away from national chains. Cannot say the same for other areas.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What is the Region?
    In northern Indiana is an area around the Calumet river called the Calumet region. There are roads, schools, parks, churches and cemeteries that carry the name. Right across the state like is Calumet city, Illinois.

Lots of industry, transportation and used to be mostly hard working, honest people. Like any other place with enough money for big crime, there are a lot of crooked politicians

I was born a region rat.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    My go to around my area is Ts or Gelsosomos
    Gelsosomos in the two locations by me are another one of those hit or miss kind of deals. Had some decent pies from there and sometimes not.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Gelsosomos in the two locations by me are another one of those hit or miss kind of deals. Had some decent pies from there and sometimes not.
    The Portage one I've had real good luck with. 1 time I did get a pizza that had a little more sauce on it than I'd Ike (what I'm use to on their pizzas)

Flamingos in Miller has a good pizza as well but been quite a few years since I've been there and I know ownership has changed hands since

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    There's a Brozzinis, and a Big Woods in Nashville that we like. Columbus has Zwanzigz, it's good as well.

For chain, we usually do Papa John's or Pizza Hut.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The Portage one I've had real good luck with. 1 time I did get a pizza that had a little more sauce on it than I'd Ike (what I'm use to on their pizzas)

Flamingos in Miller has a good pizza as well but been quite a few years since I've been there and I know ownership has changed hands since

FIL likes that place.

I don't know about their pizza, but have had some good lake perch dinners there!

Does anybody know if Calumet Fisheries still does smoked shrimp?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Yeah my sister used to live in C. Point and she said the Gelsosomos by her was always good and then they opened up one by where I live and it's been hit or miss in my experience. I think there's a lot of good pizza joints in Da Region but sometimes there are issues with consistency..

I've heard about Miller pizza being pretty good in the past but I've never been there. Kinda out of my area that I frequent.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've got to say that I'm impressed with the pizza knowledge here. I've mostly only patronized the chain places, just because of delivery options (other than Jockomo's). I do miss Noble Roman's for their deep dish pizzas. When they first opened up in the 70's, they were all the rage and that's when I learned to love them.

When they opened up a "take and bake" location near me at 31 and Thompson in Indy (now closed) I was happy with that too. Sadly it was only open for a couple of years, but the location was terrible and I think that had as much to do with why they went under as anything.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Haven't had any of the small region shops in probably 20 years, so I don't even know if they're still open, but I used to like Mama D's in St. John, Squigi's in Griffith, and Key Pizza in Hessville.

Further south, I've had a good pizza at Burns Family Pizza in Demotte, and as a kid I liked Rick's Pizza in Rensselaer, but I haven't had a pizza from there in years either.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Haven't had any of the small region shops in probably 20 years, so I don't even know if they're still open, but I used to like Mama D's in St. John, Squigi's in Griffith, and Key Pizza in Hessville.

Further south, I've had a good pizza at Burns Family Pizza in Demotte, and as a kid I liked Rick's Pizza in Rensselaer, but I haven't had a pizza from there in years either.
    Mama D's is still in St. John. We get a pie from them every once in awhile.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Squigi's is still there.

Have not had it for a long time, but it was always good....maybe that's why they are still there!

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Can’t remember if Shakey’s had good pizza, but it seemed to be a good hangout when they were in busines.

Top Bottom