• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

I like my J-frame but I absolutely agree that recommending one to any new shooter, female or otherwise, is an absolutely terrible idea. Looks like the modern, easy shooting, high capacity subcompacts are banishing revolvers in the women's gun market just like they did in the men's market.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've owned revolvers in the past and used to carry a J-Frame years ago. I actually liked it and shot it quite well for it's intended purpose but I have never recommended one to a new shooter, female or otherwise for a first time gun purchase.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It's about time. When I was looking for my first gun I was told just about everywhere I went that revolvers are better for women because semi-autos are too complicated.
    Call me a feminist but I've never believed in any distinction between "men's guns" and "women's guns". Running a gun is not a brute strength activity, the physical requirements of guns are extremely modest and effectiveness with one is all in skill and technique. Maybe some minor accommodations for hand size and anatomy need to be made here and there for some individuals, but I've never seen a good reason a woman can't run an AR or Glock as well or better than a given man. The whole reason we invented guns was to allow physically average or marginal people to kill effectively without having to spend six hours a day pumping iron. :dunno:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's about time. When I was looking for my first gun I was told just about everywhere I went that revolvers are better for women because semi-autos are too complicated.
    The women I know that received that advice almost quit because the little revolvers suggested hurt their hands. They love their full size for fun and home defense while have a matching subcompact they also practice with and carry.

I will add, there is a lot of bad advice from many parts of life, not just the gun counter.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gardener loves her revolver, really has no interest in a semi auto. It's the zebra wood gripped model at the bottom of the photo, bought it for her in 1979 at the old MCSD auction.

Attachments

• small colts.jpg
      small colts.jpg
      462.2 KB · Views: 44

KARP

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Nwi
    My wife owned a Beretta cheetah that she loved and shot well but because of advanced age had trouble racking the slide. She tried a few different guns and finally settled on a s&w bodyguard in 38 special, loaded with 90 grain Hornady critical defense loads. She said the recoil is more than manageable.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Actually for my mother they would be. She can't rack a slide so I got her a 38 snub nose it has rosewood grips and gold trigger, hammer, and cylinder release. She absolutely loves it. I load light loads for her. Similar in power to wadcutter load. So in her case revolver works perfectly.
    Also had a trigger job done on it.

This isn't her revolver but same model etc.
    1618445213056.png

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I have a family member who is not a gun person and has very low mechanical ability. For him to figure out if a pistol is loaded or not, is a challenge. Pointing the pistol in a safe direction, dropping the mag, and then locking back the slide to check the chamber, is too complicated for him. With a revolver, he can simply point the handgun in a safe direction, open the cylinder, and check if it is loaded. He likes the simplicity of the revolver over the shootability of a pistol.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    A nephew wanted to buy his diminutive wife a .38 snubbie. She shot my wife's S&W M60 and agreed it was not a good fit for her. She is now carrying a Glock 42. As in all matters, there is no one-size-fits-all!

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have both revolvers and semi-automatics.

I absolutely hate lightweight revolvers. Although convenient to carry they're horrible to shoot. I would never ever suggest a lightweight revolver to a first time shooter.

I do think a full weight revolver is a good place to start for some people just due of how simple it is and how quick it can build confidence.

My favorite gun to shoot would probably be my CZ 75 P-01. However, I prefer to carry a revolver because of the simplicity of it. Also because I have unpredictable dominant hand issues. Some days, racking the slide can be quite the chore.

Below is a picture of my first love. I still love it to this day even though I don't carry it. It's what started the addiction. I bought it because I loved it not because it was practical. So of course I still needed to find the perfect carry gun too.

Attachments

• 5533.jpeg
      5533.jpeg
      924 KB · Views: 22

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Ive only shot old revolvers. Has the trigger pull lightened over the years?
    My first carry gun was a SP101 in 357 magnum. It is probably the gun I have shot and carried the most.

It has a very long trigger pull. After starting out with that gun, trigger pull has not been an issue because most guns are an improvement over the long trigger pull of the SP101.

I've often joked that shootings with a Ruger would more likely than not be intentional due to the long trigger pull. I would find it hard to believe that anyone could accidentally shoot a Ruger.

Attachments

• 5534.jpeg
      5534.jpeg
      718.1 KB · Views: 10

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    My first carry gun was a SP101 in 357 magnum. It is probably the gun I have shot and carried the most.

It has a very long trigger pull. After starting out with that gun, trigger pull has not been an issue because most guns are an improvement over the long trigger pull of the SP101.

I've often joked that shootings with a Ruger would more likely than not be intentional due to the long trigger pull. I would find it hard to believe that anyone could accidentally shoot a Ruger.

Love my 3" SP101, only in .327 mag, cause I'm a wimp. 32 H&R is real mild for practice trigger time.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have both revolvers and semi-automatics.

I absolutely hate lightweight revolvers. Although convenient to carry they're horrible to shoot. I would never ever suggest a lightweight revolver to a first time shooter.

I do think a full weight revolver is a good place to start for some people just due of how simple it is and how quick it can build confidence.

My favorite gun to shoot would probably be my CZ 75 P-01. However, I prefer to carry a revolver because of the simplicity of it. Also because I have unpredictable dominant hand issues. Some days, racking the slide can be quite the chore.

Below is a picture of my first love. I still love it to this day even though I don't carry it. It's what started the addiction. I bought it because I loved it not because it was practical. So of course I still needed to find the perfect carry gun too.
    Sounds like a trigger job is needed.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I agree that revolvers have their place, and I have carried and shot revolvers way more than semi-autos. I just resent the implication that gun ownership and use has to be dumbed down for women. But then again, maybe this is a bad time to make that argument. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom