• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't see this feature much now, but it was popular in it's day. Here's a Marlin 1893 in 32-40 and a neat case for it to carry broken down. Marlins and Winchesters both come apart in similar fashion, the mag tube either pops out or screws out and then you unthread the barrel. td1.jpg td2.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Remington model 8 that has it's own takedown wrench that is captured under the forearm.
    Nifty little setup.
    I'll try to get a pic of it later.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have the Chiappa 1892 Alaskan takedown in .44 magnum.
    Wonderful workmanship, and handy little thing to put in the bag, and throw in the Jeep.
    Of course, every AR I own is a "takedown" as well... but being a lever gun, this one is the most fun to shoot gun I own.
    All them years in the Army, I just had to modernize it for combat readiness, but I guess I watched so many cowboy movies as a kid... Just couldn't overcome 'Murica. Still had to have me a lever gun.

IMG_0310 (2).JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

Once together, she will hold 9 + 1, then 10 more on the ammo card on the stock. That gives me 20 rounds of .44 magnum coming out of a 16" barrel. It has the speed of target acquisition only a red dot can give, and low light capability as well. This little combat cowboy carbine can take most anything on the continent, and short of stepping onto an active battlefield, handle most any defensive situation as well.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have the Chiappa 1892 Alaskan takedown in .44 magnum.
    Wonderful workmanship, and handy little thing to put in the bag, and throw in the Jeep.
    Of course, every AR I own is a "takedown" as well... but being a lever gun, this one is the most fun to shoot gun I own.
    All them years in the Army, I just had to modernize it for combat readiness, but I guess I watched so many cowboy movies as a kid... Just couldn't overcome 'Murica. Still had to have me a lever gun.

View attachment 208082

View attachment 208086

View attachment 208087

Once together, she will hold 9 + 1, then 10 more on the ammo card on the stock. That gives me 20 rounds of .44 magnum coming out of a 16" barrel. It has the speed of target acquisition only a red dot can give, and low light capability as well. This little combat cowboy carbine can take most anything on the continent, and short of stepping onto an active battlefield, handle most any defensive situation as well.
    That is a sweet setup!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't see this feature much now, but it was popular in it's day. Here's a Marlin 1893 in 32-40 and a neat case for it to carry broken down. Marlins and Winchesters both come apart in similar fashion, the mag tube either pops out or screws out and then you unthread the barrel. View attachment 208067 View attachment 208068
    Can you give some history behind this rifle Leadeye?
    Are there any modern made lever-action rifles with this feature?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Made from 1893 to 1936 the Marlin 1893 was a competitor to the Winchester 1894 and a bridge gun so to speak moving from the BP to smokeless cartridge era. It was the ancestor of the 336 which it does share some parts commonality with. Chambered in 30-30, 32-40, and 38-55 you will find barrels marked both Marlin Smokeless Steel and Black Powder, so if shopping for one keep this in mind. The 32-40 versions are very accurate with the RCBS 32-170 gas check mold and 3031 powder. 32-40 brass can be made from 30-30 cases.

An effective zombie killer it makes appearances on The Walking Dead.;)

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    My Winchester 97 is a tube fed take down. It’s kind of a tricky thing making a tube mag takedown. Browning had a pretty smart idea by giving the magazine tube base interrupted threads. So you just rotate the mag tube and then slide it out from receiver.

Then the barrel uses the same system of interrupted threads to rotate and completely detach from receiver.
    AEA5E557-FA95-444C-B326-1598C5D1E9BB.jpeg
    You know I never really wanted a 97 till I learned it was a JMB brainchild. There is so much genius captured in its design. Despite being 117 years old it just keeps busting clays for me.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I don't see this feature much now, but it was popular in it's day. Here's a Marlin 1893 in 32-40 and a neat case for it to carry broken down. Marlins and Winchesters both come apart in similar fashion, the mag tube either pops out or screws out and then you unthread the barrel. View attachment 208067 View attachment 208068
    @Leadeye What is the year of manufacture? That is a amazing firearm, with a beautiful patina!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Off the top of my head, Browning makes/made takedown models of their BLR. Wild West Guns specialized in making semi custom take down lever guns from Marlins. Although not current production, Savage made takedown models of the 99 as well.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Related but not - Cry Havoc Tactical makes a quick release barrel setup for ARs that connects to your handguard/barrel and attaches like the LaRue OBR models.

You can take it down and put it back together in less than 5 seconds once you get good with it and it does hold zero, unlike other competitors apparently.

Top Bottom