• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I bought one new car in my life and got rid of it after about two years of realizing how much monthly car payments suck.

I certainly don't see myself buying a new car anytime soon, if ever again. Cash cars only for me.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Lifetime for who? I haven't kept a car more than four years for my last four. Like I said, I have had one repair bill, which was last month for those chewed on wires. During the same visit I spent more on standard maintenance, oil, filters, and fluid replacements.

Regular costs for driving are fuel and maintenance. Tires and brakes are needed for both, so they can be left off.
    That's great .. for you.
    Many people, myself included, keep the car until it is a pile of rust.. or repair bills.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A LOT of people talk about, they won't change the battery in their EV, they'll just get another car.
    I thought we were 'protecting the planet'.
    How does buying MORE cars do that?
    "We" aren't doing anything. That is just more painting with a broad brush.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That's great .. for you.
    Many people, myself included, keep the car until it is a pile of rust.. or repair bills.
    Then you can try to use the cost of whatever standard repair bills there would be.

The KIA I looked at has 5 year/60K mile warranties with 10 year/100K mile battery warranties. Tesla are 4y/50K and 8y/120K.

Most of the discussion I have seen concerning repairs is around damage from collisions. Batteries seem to be the biggest possible trouble spot.

I honestly don't understand why some of you are so defensive about this. If you don't buy cars, you're not going to buy an EV. They won't be forcing you to turn in your ICE car or buy one in your lifetime.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Maintenance should be done regularly. You shouldn't have to fix your car. The only repair I've had on a car is replacing wires a mouse ate. :xmad:

Also a green problem, replacing pthalate plasticizers with epoxidized soybean oil in the PVC insulation.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Yeah, Pisses me off. Looks like the replacement is already been hit too. That or they didn't connect something very well.
    ESO plasticized PVC has a lot down sides and the "science" behind replacing pthalates is hardly settled. The medical community still uses pthalate PVC in it's equipment, IVs and such, and is in no hurry to change.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    “Comparative models” is all I could find when referencing fuel prices. I remember seeing premium mentioned at some point, and that would make sense since luxury class vehicles are all I ever see head to head.
    My less efficient ModelY looks to be counted as a 25mi/g vehicle in the calculations, even though our most efficient ICE vehicle only gets <20mi/g.
    Chargers have all come with our vehicles, zero cost. Kept 2 at my house, and 1 at each Gparents house.

Attachments

• D619C286-D10B-498A-96C6-48A1B165C435.jpeg
      D619C286-D10B-498A-96C6-48A1B165C435.jpeg
      197.4 KB · Views: 2

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    “Comparative models” is all I could find when referencing fuel prices. I remember seeing premium mentioned at some point, and that would make sense since luxury class vehicles are all I ever see head to head.
    My less efficient ModelY looks to be counted as a 25mi/g vehicle in the calculations, even though our most efficient ICE vehicle only gets <20mi/g.
    Chargers have all come with our vehicles, zero cost. Kept 2 at my house, and 1 at each Gparents house.
    Our WORST fuel efficient vehicle gets 20 and that’s a 17 year old gmc. My car is best at right around 40 and the wife’s new one is starting at 35. Why do people always insist on comparing ev to gas guzzlers and ignoring the fact that the cars they’re actually competing against are actually fairly fuel efficient.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Our WORST fuel efficient vehicle gets 20 and that’s a 17 year old gmc. My car is best at right around 40 and the wife’s new one is starting at 35. Why do people always insist on comparing ev to gas guzzlers and ignoring the fact that the cars they’re actually competing against are actually fairly fuel efficient.
    Here ya go
    1675481205113.png

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I honestly don't understand why some of you are so defensive about this. If you don't buy cars, you're not going to buy an EV. They won't be forcing you to turn in your ICE car or buy one in your lifetime.
    They won't?
    Sure?
    Cause they sure seem to be talking about it.

I don't have a problem people WANTING to buy and EV or Hybrid.
    It's the FORCING that I have a problem with.

Top Bottom