• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The extra costs of an EV hit me and I never owned an EV. How you may ask? My Son got an Audi Etron SUV and thought it was a good idea to have Mom and Dad install (at their expense) a high powered charging station in Mom and Dad’s garage so that when he came over he could charge his vehicle on our dime! It was my pleasure to help out. Kids, ya gotta love them!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The extra costs of an EV hit me and I never owned an EV. How you may ask? My Son got an Audi Etron SUV and thought it was a good idea to have Mom and Dad install (at their expense) a high powered charging station in Mom and Dad’s garage so that when he came over he could charge his vehicle on our dime! It was my pleasure to help out. Kids, ya gotta love them!
    See? EV’s are cheap! Just get dad to pay the electric bill.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Meter it, and bill him

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Hopefully the things that leave you cold about it are just the impracticality. That's pretty much where I'm at. My first time in a Tesla was when a coworker drove us to lunch in his. Really cool. But as I rode, I notice many things I didn't like. I like the clean modern look, but I want knobs and buttons. I want controls that I can feel when I'm driving. That's a big one. Also, I was in the back seat. Plenty of room. But, it was a cloudy dark day, black interior, I couldn't find the ****ing door latch to get out. The guy had to talk me through it! Finally one of the other passengers just opened the door from outside. Why can't they have a normal ****ing latch that you can find in the dark?
    You should look at the KIA and Hyundai

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Without government cash and government funded propaganda demand currently would be virtually nil. Without all that electric formula one and Tesla would likely not even exist for you nerds, err, geeks to even drool over…

Can you give me some evidence that this isn’t just you battling your inner foes? You say this with confidence. You’re asserting zero. I’m asserting non-zero.

It is possible that Tesla's wouldn't exist without the subsidy money? It's a reality we haven't tested. So let's stay in the one we have. There are reasons for people to buy EV's that have nothing to do with the rebates.

I LOVE promoting that which shoves this :poop: back up their collective a****. :bash:
    Fair enough. But we can do that and still have a grip on reality can't we?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Can you give me some evidence that this isn’t just you battling your inner foes? You say this with confidence. You’re asserting zero. I’m asserting non-zero.

It is possible that Tesla's wouldn't exist without the subsidy money? It's a reality we haven't tested. So let's stay in the one we have. There are reasons for people to buy EV's that have nothing to do with the rebates.

My take is that there would be EV's, but nowhere near as many as there are now, if government wasn't pushing automakers to provide them. Similar with the market for them. I believe they would be an extremely niche product without government intervention and misinformation being spread about how great they are for the environment. There are a lot of people who buy these things because they think they're saving the planet or some such garbage.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

"GM has secured all the battery material we need to build more than 1 million EVs annually in North America in 2025 and our future production will increasingly draw from domestic resources like the site in Nevada we're developing with Lithium Americas," said GM Chair and CEO Mary Barra.

All they have to do is have a court rule the mine can be extracted:

"Conservationists say the mine will destroy dwindling habitat for sage grouse, Lahontan cutthroat trout, pronghorn antelope and golden eagles, pollute the air and create a plume of toxic water beneath the open-pit mine deeper than the length of a football field.

Tribal leaders say it will destroy nearby sacred lands where dozens of their ancestors were massacred by the U.S. Cavalry in 1865.

U.S. District Judge Miranda Du said after a three-hour hearing in Reno on Jan. 5 that she hoped to make a decision "in the next couple months" on how to proceed in the nearly two-year-old legal battle over the Bureau of Land Management's approval of the mine."

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

"GM has secured all the battery material we need to build more than 1 million EVs annually in North America in 2025 and our future production will increasingly draw from domestic resources like the site in Nevada we're developing with Lithium Americas," said GM Chair and CEO Mary Barra.

"Conservationists say the mine will destroy dwindling habitat for sage grouse, Lahontan cutthroat trout, pronghorn antelope and golden eagles, pollute the air and create a plume of toxic water beneath the open-pit mine deeper than the length of a football field.

Tribal leaders say it will destroy nearby sacred lands where dozens of their ancestors were massacred by the U.S. Cavalry in 1865.

U.S. District Judge Miranda Du said after a three-hour hearing in Reno on Jan. 5 that she hoped to make a decision "in the next couple months" on how to proceed in the nearly two-year-old legal battle over the Bureau of Land Management's approval of the mine."
    Funny the Biden administration doesn't care about these Indians and this water/land like they did where Keystone was concerned.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My take is that there would be EV's, but nowhere near as many as there are now, if government wasn't pushing automakers to provide them. Similar with the market for them. I believe they would be an extremely niche product without government intervention and misinformation being spread about how great they are for the environment. There are a lot of people who buy these things because they think they're saving the planet or some such garbage.
    Exactly. Think of the market as the sum of reasons consumers have to be in the market. Many of those reasons have to do with manipulation by TPTB. If you take all TPTB related reasons, what we’re left with are all the reasons not originated by that manipulation. I think at this point the market would be smaller than it is now. I don’t think we can estimate that size. I would just say significantly smaller.

I think it would consist of novelty seekers/first adopters. Geeks/enthusiasts. What I call “Jonesers” as in keeping up with the Jones’es. Virtue signalers.

And I think the use case also limits the market. If you want a road-tripper EV is not it. Without governments pushing EV’s I don’t think we’d have the network of charging stations there is now. So I think the use case would be limited to mostly daily driver/local use.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Hmmm. This is like Green v. Green in a divorce settlement. Green Industrial Complex fighting Big Green environmentalism. It will be a fascinating display of hypocrisy, I’m sure. Bring plenty of premium genuine Indiana Popcorn.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

When did you ever hear someone say I wish I had an electric car? I do not recall it. Folks hoped and dreamed of hydrogen powered vehicles, heck even water powered, and I’m sure others I am not thinking of but I just do not recall anyone pining for an electric car.

I suspect that was because they subconsciously knew the batteries were always dead when they needed to use the flashlight and the batteries went dead before the job was done. We certainly cannot know an alternate reality but those who gave attention to others can certainly can remember attitudes from thirty years ago, that I have confidence in.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Exactly. Think of the market as the sum of reasons consumers have to be in the market. Many of those reasons have to do with manipulation by TPTB. If you take all TPTB related reasons, what we’re left with are all the reasons not originated by that manipulation. I think at this point the market would be smaller than it is now. I don’t think we can estimate that size. I would just say significantly smaller.

I think it would consist of novelty seekers/first adopters. Geeks/enthusiasts. What I call “Jonesers” as in keeping up with the Jones’es. Virtue signalers.

And I think the use case also limits the market. If you want a road-tripper EV is not it. Without governments pushing EV’s I don’t think we’d have the network of charging stations there is now. So I think the use case would be limited to mostly daily driver/local use.
    Would hot EV’s like Tesla even exist without the intervention of TPTB? I seriously doubt it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    When did you ever hear someone say I wish I had an electric car? I do not recall it. Folks hoped and dreamed of hydrogen powered vehicles, heck even water powered, and I’m sure others I am not thinking of but I just do not recall anyone pining for an electric car.

I suspect that was because they subconsciously knew the batteries were always dead when they needed to use the flashlight and the batteries went dead before the job was done. We certainly cannot know an alternate reality but those who gave attention to others can certainly can remember attitudes from thirty years ago, that I have confidence in.

The hydrogen thing always got me. So the byproduct is water vapor? So how does that affect things with that much water vapor released into the atmosphere? Slick moss growing in the streets or sidewalks? Humidity rising? I don't think there would be a net zero impact.

Top Bottom