• ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    View attachment 239743
    Somebody captured this image of what they believe the 81k rig looked like for testing.
    11 Jersey walls @4000lbs each= 44,000
    Flatbed trailer approx 10,000, So Tesla semi unladen weight seems to be close to 27,000lbs. A ton heavier than other class 8’s.
    Which if true, would be pretty impressive. Yet I don't think there is any way it's only 1-ton more than a diesel truck.

The weight of the battery packs required to run a semi I commonly see and hear about, are more in the range of 15-18,000 lbs.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Which if true, would be pretty impressive. Yet I don't think there is any way it's only 1-ton more than a diesel truck.

The weight of the battery packs required to run a semi I commonly see and hear about, are more in the range of 15-18,000 lbs.
    I mean, an MX11 weighs 3k lbs, the transmission weighs 1200lbs. add in piping, fluids, filters etc you're closing in on 5k lbs on a diesel truck. 300 gallons of fuel adds another 2100 lbs and 75 gallons of def 600 or so. 8k lbs of drive train related stuff. I'm sure they spent some time and effort trying to slim down the chassis weight as well.

I could believe it.

EDIT: A model X battery pack is 1100lbs for 348 miles in an suv. Figure 8 of those packs could make up the weight of a diesel engine drivetrain and fuel. I can see it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I mean, an MX11 weighs 3k lbs, the transmission weighs 1200lbs. add in piping, fluids, filters etc you're closing in on 5k lbs on a diesel truck. 300 gallons of fuel adds another 2100 lbs and 75 gallons of def 600 or so. 8k lbs of drive train related stuff. I'm sure they spent some time and effort trying to slim down the chassis weight as well.

I could believe it.

EDIT: A model X battery pack is 1100lbs for 348 miles in an suv. Figure 8 of those packs could make up the weight of a diesel engine drivetrain and fuel. I can see it.
    I'm not convinced.

I hate the idea of an 'appeal to authority' type argument, but I work for a company that's powered more commercial EVs than any other company on the planet. Without seeing the breakdown of the numbers from Tesla, or an independent review of the components on the truck, it's pure speculation. Battery packs on a Big Rig are heavy.

I pressed the sales guys from Nikola on this at a trade show not long ago and they wouldn't disclose what their battery stacked weighed.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    True but a person shopping for a rear drive muscle car are not the same as those paying 10k over for a EV. It's a Mustang in name only.
    Dude. You said "general public", not "person shopping for a rear drive muscle car".

No one thinks it's a real mustang. It only vaguely resembles one in styling.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Dude. You said "general public", not "person shopping for a rear drive muscle car".

No one thinks it's a real mustang. It only vaguely resembles one in styling.
    So sorry. Next time I'll write it in crayon. :lmfao:

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Limited charging “If hits level 3 escalation”. The whole country will be shut down and freezing at level 3, They don’t even have level 1 restrictions yet. Switzerland has a plan drafted because they import most of their energy, and this is what Hot Air cherry picks to get clicks. Essential travel only at level 3… businesses only allowed to open for 1hr per day, no gaming or streaming HD, 18C max temps indoors.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012

wonder how much the unladen weight will be.

360 tons hauled by a battery!!! Whaaat?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom