• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RSindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Carmel
    I watched this video a couple weeks ago. I was impressed at the performance of an EV truck but not surprised at the lack of emphasis on the opportunity costs associated with EVs. (Note that I am not anti-EV. I just don’t think they’re ready for my lifestyle yet.) The math slightly leans towards use of an EV truck…but only if you’re going to pull that load within its charge range. For me, this is the achilles heel of EV—range and recharge time.

If you’re the kind that will drive nearly always in town or very short commutes where you will have ample down time for recharging, an EV may well suit you.

I agree with your last statement. Right now it’s for the folks that have short commutes and typically live in the city or suburbs. I’m personally not ready to switch and I fall in the category of short commutes and live in the suburbs.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    And just like that, a little more freedom is gone…
    How would a flat usage based tax eliminate freedom?

If anything it's the most logical way to tax stuff. You don't use the road, you don't pay. Seems like the maximum amount of freedom as far as taxation is concerned.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

If anything it's the most logical way to tax stuff. You don't use the road, you don't pay. Seems like the maximum amount of freedom as far as taxation is concerned.
    I value the privacy to travel without government oversight, government tracking devices are not freedom of movement. Be careful of the future steps on the slippery slope.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Nah…we don’t care about logic and maintaining freedom when it comes to tax policy anymore. We’re all about EQUITY. The equitable thing to do is charge certain people more for all of their electricity so that oppressed people can drive their new EVs.

;)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Nah, a toll based system would be your answer. You use the road, you pay for the road. That would work for highways.

Technology is a curse on freedom. It just gives big brother more and more opportunity and ability to watch and control every facet of our lives.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Nah, a toll based system would be your answer. You use the road, you pay for the road. That would work for highways.

Technology is a curse on freedom. It just gives big brother more and more opportunity and ability to watch and control every facet of our lives.
    That's what I meant by usage based. Essentially toll roads. I must have missed the part where Mike's 'loss of freedom' comment was about how it is tracked.

I don't know that tolls make things any more private. Very few toll roads are cash based anymore. It's easy to track where a vehicle enters and exits a toll road.

A true mileage tax really would be most fair way to collect road taxes. (Obligatory disclaimer that taxation is theft, yada, yada, yada).

There are ways to establish a reporting system that mileage could be entered or tracked anonymously. I don't have much faith in .gov to do it that way, but it certainly wouldn't necessarily require the tracking of individual routes.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Those of you living in an area with tolls are used to the transponders in your cars but few ever think that the transponder data can be received while not on a toll road if there are receivers. I believe computerized license plate readers are a violation of the fourth.

As for tolls they can be very effective and can also be used to reduce traffic congestion. For example if the toll was $5 to go between Emerson and Harding exits from 7:30-9:30 but just $1 9:30-3:30 how many would move their travel out of the peak window? Several cities have tried this but it does not seem to catch on.

RSindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Carmel
    That may be true for full charge but acceleration declines as the charge level goes down. Not to mention due to I2R=P, losses from heat become greater (higher heat = higher resistance) so acceleration & range suffers even more.
    I didn’t know that. Good to know. That was one of the reasons I found them appealing.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A true mileage tax really would be most fair way to collect road taxes. (Obligatory disclaimer that taxation is theft, yada, yada, yada).
    I believe that is what he was referring to with his comment.

The state has to closely monitor your travel. I doubt they would be happy with a simple odometer reading, but maybe they would, at least in the beginning.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    B9EE81D2-D6BC-4DD3-916A-E9A82C259F66.jpeg
    Somebody captured this image of what they believe the 81k rig looked like for testing.
    11 Jersey walls @4000lbs each= 44,000
    Flatbed trailer approx 10,000, So Tesla semi unladen weight seems to be close to 27,000lbs. A ton heavier than other class 8’s.

Top Bottom