• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    At that level, parents aren't going to have any influence on the course content I'm afraid. Not like they have that much at lower levels either these days. :(
    As was my concern and thoughts. At the very least, I sent a note to our State Rep asking for a reply. I only expect a form email response but I just have to start somewhere. Open to other suggestions.

Mike

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think part of the school board/partisanship issue being chewed over today has to do with removing some of the cover school board members get when running for office. When you look at their names on a ballot it's one of those things where you really don't get much info at all leading up to election. Attaching their campaign to some party affiliation will help to increase the visibility, so I'll be watching this.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think part of the school board/partisanship issue being chewed over today has to do with removing some of the cover school board members get when running for office. When you look at their names on a ballot it's one of those things where you really don't get much info at all leading up to election. Attaching their campaign to some party affiliation will help to increase the visibility, so I'll be watching this.
    Voters are uninformed. So the answer is to make board members choose a side and now be attached to all the political baggage and partisan fighting? Doesn't this give the voters an excuse to remain uninformed? "Why should I lookup what Pete thinks? He's a Republican so he sucks." That certainly doesn't seem like it makes it better.

As to these stupid CRT bills, when did everything flip and now conservatives are the ones worrying that what is taught in school full make someone feel bad? It wasn't that long ago that we were chanting, "screw you libs! Your feelings aren't important!" and " you whitewash history to make people feel better."

It seems like every parent in favor of muzzling teachers mention feelings as being the primary concern.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My daughter has to take a Sociology class at IUPUI for her core requirement. The professor is opening including CRT on the course syllabus along with a series of topics on how Marxism is misunderstood in American culture and how it aligns with CRT.

What's the best way for a parent to raise concern on this?

In one aspect, I don't want to draw attention to this *now* for fear of reprisal toward my daughter but I'm also extremely frustrated that we would even be wasting the time\money to include this in the curriculum. I'm not worried about my daughter being manipulated, she's a strong conservative at a young age.

Mike
    if she's a strong conservative, then she'll come out on the other side. It's college, a time to listen to a diverse set of opinions. Just because a professor teaches something, doesn't mean a student has to agree.

you gave her the right tools, now is her time to blaze her own trail through the mess.

Besides, she might learn what CRT is and isn't.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Voters are uninformed. So the answer is to make board members choose a side and now be attached to all the political baggage and partisan fighting? Doesn't this give the voters an excuse to remain uninformed? "Why should I lookup what Pete thinks? He's a Republican so he sucks." That certainly doesn't seem like it makes it better.

As to these stupid CRT bills, when did everything flip and now conservatives are the ones worrying that what is taught in school full make someone feel bad? It wasn't that long ago that we were chanting, "screw you libs! Your feelings aren't important!" and " you whitewash history to make people feel better."

It seems like every parent in favor of muzzling teachers mention feelings as being the primary concern.

My take on the whole crt/teacher/school board thing is that the people are surprised at what they are getting and don't like it. They find out after the fact that school leadership supported ideas that they don't like and are raising enough noise about it to be considered on a watch list by the FBI.

It really should never have gotten this far.

Voters don't hire and fire teachers so they take their case to the school board only to find out that the people they elected are behind what they don't like. Surprise stirs folks up, a lot. Now they have to wait until the next election cycle, but will be no better informed than before. I think the legislature's idea about partisan affiliation is to remove some of the "surprise" aspect of this. We are in unknown territory so how well it will work is a guess at best.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    if she's a strong conservative, then she'll come out on the other side. It's college, a time to listen to a diverse set of opinions. Just because a professor teaches something, doesn't mean a student has to agree.

you gave her the right tools, now is her time to blaze her own trail through the mess.

Spot on. She's a strong conservative and has her head on straight so I'm not worried about her. It does create a certain concern for other parents who might be less involved...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Who gives a :poop: about feelings? CRT is complete and utter horse :poop: and as such, should not be taught in publicly funded schools . Go ahead and teach it to my daughter, I can guarantee it won't make her feel bad, she was born with my nose for nonsense.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It’ll definitely cause setbacks in the cause of Marxism.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Spot on. She's a strong conservative and has her head on straight so I'm not worried about her. It does create a certain concern for other parents who might be less involved...
    If there’s a sociology class that doesn’t have that then I’d still opt for that. That’s one thing parents can do is help keep the class size for teaching nonsense small.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

"It's not being taught but you can't stop us from teaching it."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

:scratch: you think the CRT bills are so that people won’t get their feelings hurt?

Has NPR rotted your brain? The anti CRT bills are there to stop teachers from indoctrinating students with nutty beliefs like all white people are racists and no PoC are, and if they are, they should be.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I would not mind it they taught the academic concepts of CRT along side other ideas, and taught it fairly comparing, contrasting with other beliefs, noting strengths, weakness, etcetera.

It’s not taught now as an ideology, per se. They declare things they claim are facts. In a so sociology class they might actually present it as academic theory but it will definitely include praxis.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    From the article:
    https://www.wibc.com/news/
    “Black and brown students are woefully behind academically. One of the top recommendations for addressing this issue was to address the number of minority teachers. This bill and similar bills would lead to a decrease in minority teachers,” said Greene.

Gee, it couldn't be that they're "woefully behind academically" because their parents aren't involved in their lives and education, could it? Nah... gotta be because the white man is keeping them down. :rolleyes:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "It's not being taught but you can't stop us from teaching it."
    It’s not taught like “okay class, we’re going to learn about a different ideology today. We’ll be studying CRT during this next unit.”

When they “Teach” CRT, it’s woven throughout all the subjects. If it’s a math class taught by a nutty teacher they’ll emphasize “oppressed” identity groups as concepts are taught. For example. You only get taught the “theory” part of critical theories in the grievance “studies” courses.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    CRT is kind of like a religion. I don’t mind if religion is taught in public schools as long as it’s taught along side other religions, without favoring one over another. It should be informative and not indoctrinational. The praxis of CRT in schools is indoctrination. I’m actually a bit surprised at JK for being so uninformed about what CRT even is!

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    My son went to IU. My best advice is to try to get her out of there and Bloomington.

I to thought my son would not be affected, he was. He is no SJW, but I'll bet he voted for Joe and the 'Ho he definitely did not come out unscathed.

Write your State legislators, preferably with specifics and course content. Let them know the use of your tax dollars to underwrite the content is unacceptable at a State school. Copy the Board of Trustees.

If you can get her to transfer, send a copy of the check to the Trustees with a note explaining they will receive no more from you, and why.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My son went to IU. My best advice is to try to get her out of there and Bloomington.

I to thought my son would not be affected, he was. He is no SJW, but I'll bet he voted for Joe and the 'Ho he definitely did not come out unscathed.

Write your State legislators, preferably with specifics and course content. Let them know the use of your tax dollars to underwrite the content is unacceptable at a State school. Copy the Board of Trustees.

If you can get her to transfer, send a copy of the check to the Trustees with a note explaining they will receive no more from you, and why.
    Maybe it's just because I was always in STEM type classes in college, or maybe it's because all this crap hadn't taken hold back then, but I was never exposed to anything even remotely political/social justice oriented. I'd probably get kicked out of classes if I had to do that today.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My daughter has to take a Sociology class at IUPUI for her core requirement. The professor is opening including CRT on the course syllabus along with a series of topics on how Marxism is misunderstood in American culture and how it aligns with CRT.

What's the best way for a parent to raise concern on this?

In one aspect, I don't want to draw attention to this *now* for fear of reprisal toward my daughter but I'm also extremely frustrated that we would even be wasting the time\money to include this in the curriculum. I'm not worried about my daughter being manipulated, she's a strong conservative at a young age.

Mike
    Stop cutting checks to an indoctrination center and pick a new school.

Top Bottom