• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    haha

I thought of this thread earlier today when I read that one of Biden's first efforts was going to be to try to pass immigration reform.

I dunno, maybe the country is ready for something like what Reagan did.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    mqdefault.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    haha

I thought of this thread earlier today when I read that one of Biden's first efforts was going to be to try to pass immigration reform.

I dunno, maybe the country is ready for something like what Reagan did.
    No. Comprehensive immigration reform is what we need. Secure borders. Streamline the process for becoming a citizen. No one cuts in line.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    No. Comprehensive immigration reform is what we need. Secure borders. Streamline the process for becoming a citizen. No one cuts in line.
    And work Visas... so those that just want to work seasonal can buy a bus or plane ticket for a fraction of the coyote fee.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And work Visas... so those that just want to work seasonal can buy a bus or plane ticket for a fraction of the coyote fee.
    Yeah. Sure. I think we need to revamp H1B visas though. They're overused. If we want to retrain Americans displaced due to evolving tech making their expertise obsolete, there needs to be something for them. It's just that so many people think it's a sin to take care of your own citizens first. Also, I think H1B was used to dilute salaries for tech workers. They pay them ****.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Yeah. Sure. I think we need to revamp H1B visas though. They're overused. If we want to retrain Americans displaced due to evolving tech making their expertise obsolete, there needs to be something for them. It's just that so many people think it's a sin to take care of your own citizens first. Also, I think H1B was used to dilute salaries for tech workers. They pay them ****.
    I think we already do too much "taking care of our own citizens", although I know that's not what you meant. Immigration reform, i.e. making it easier for everyone to come here, will be disastrous in a welfare state. It'll only hasten the collapse, and we don't need any help with that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The issue is becoming moot as they just move the work offshore. My company uses accounting and IT services from India and now Venezuela. Before that it was consultants. Employees don't get paid considerably lower.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I was talking more about H2A (agricultural workers) and H2B (non-ag).

But re:H1Bs, you are correct, at least in my experience. Contract houses flood the lottery system then offer the requisite talent at the lowest bid to get seats. And then, basically hold the contractor as an indentured servant. Any whiff of them trying to get a Green card sponsored job outside the "house", and poof, back to India.

I've had the privilege of being deemed trustworthy enough by several Indian H1B contactors to be a professional referral for them for a permanent resident sponsored position.

For the large tech firms who are looking for the best talent, period, they sponsor H1Bs directly and pay market for the talent level, at least after the first year because the firm next door will snatch up their talent if they didn't.

The issue is becoming moot as they just move the work offshore. My company uses accounting and IT services from India and now Venezuela. Before that it was consultants. Employees don't get paid considerably lower.
    In my experience, the contract houses and the big corporations that direct sponsor only enter the best talent into the lottery. Maybe 1 in 4 offshore contractors pass the vetting at the level the candidate was presented most likely the "good ones" are lottery losers. Unless your company is a large, lucrative relationship, you get presented a lot of offshore junior talent, even for senior/experienced positions.

YMMV.

My limited experience with S American IT talent is positive and you don't have the "bow to authority, answer is always yes we can do that even if there's no way they can" cultural issues.

All the above is for software development resources... support and infrastructure, where the work is all to "plan", different story. Also, if all the System Analysis occurs in-house with detailed programming specs... also different story. If your core IT knowledge goes to offshore, or even onshore contractors, look out... a lesson many organizations learned years ago... the hard way.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I'll not re-post pictures of the dilapidated corrugated stuff, the anti-vehicle stuff, or the cattle pasture fence that counted as "wall" prior to Jan 2017 that were replaced.

Did Trump keep his "promise" of a wall along the whole border? Nope.

Are they rapidly approaching 500 miles of new, real "wall" that cannot be scaled with a step ladder, or pried open with a crow bar, or simply walked past (vehicle barriers replaced), or stepped over (pasture fences replaced). Yup.

In the places that the Border Patrol most wanted and needed it? Yup.

As of January 8, 2021, the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) says the Trump administration had completed 453 miles (729km) of wall overall.

However, much of the new wall has simply replaced barriers put in place by previous administrations, with only 80 miles (128km) of barrier built in areas where no structures previously stood, according to CBP.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'll not re-post pictures of the dilapidated corrugated stuff, the anti-vehicle stuff, or the cattle pasture fence that counted as "wall" prior to Jan 2017 that were replaced.

Did Trump keep his "promise" of a wall along the whole border? Nope.

Are they rapidly approaching 500 miles of new, real "wall" that cannot be scaled with a step ladder, or pried open with a crow bar, or simply walked past (vehicle barriers replaced), or stepped over (pasture fences replaced). Yup.

In the places that the Border Patrol most wanted and needed it? Yup.

I feel it is dishonest to accuseTrump of failing to keep his promise so far as it wasn't from lack of trying but rather the shitballs in the deep state.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I feel it is dishonest to accuseTrump of failing to keep his promise so far as it wasn't from lack of trying but rather the shitballs in the deep state.
    I think Trump did all he could to get the wall done. I don't think people complaining about that are being all that straight. Trump even used an emergency order--NOT A LEGITIMATE USE--to do it. What more could he have done short of paying for it out of his own pocket?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This is how it needs to go, drag them into court to argue about everything they wish to do that does not have widespread support or sound legal footing

IBTUSSUTSWAMCT (In before the usual suspects show up to say 'we all must come together')

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is how it needs to go, drag them into court to argue about everything they wish to do that does not have widespread support or sound legal footing

IBTUSSUTSWAMCT (In before the usual suspects show up to say 'we all must come together')

I don't think that's all that likely.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    So, with Biden's COVID travel bans coming for South Africa, Europe, and Brazil, can people just fly to Mexico and then "informally" come across the border?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    True dat!

A typical Republican president gives only lip service to half their promises... another 20-30% get some effort, but then are "sacficed" for other priorities that require the available "political capital."

One of Trump's best features was that he went b***s to the wall, pedal to the metal on every single campaign promise.

Top Bottom