Not open for further replies.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    One of these days I need to go out and check our apple trees. I will have to take the truck...so many sand burrs on the way there and around the trees. Hubby says there are apples, but I'm not sure which varieties have anything worth picking since we haven't sprayed for 10 years. We could have pie this year!
    I have an old golden delicious that looks to have some apples worth picking.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have an old golden delicious that looks to have some apples worth picking.
    I think there are about 1200 trees out there. The last two years have had zero apples due to late frost/freezes in the spring. The year before that I was making up pies and freezing them like crazy. I'm not sure how much freezer space I will have this fall since I have a 1/4 beef going to the butcher any day now and 18 more whole chickens to pick up in about a month. I already have a pig in the freezer and probably a dozen or so chickens from the last pick up in June.

We should at least get a few pies that I bake fresh if I don't have room to freeze many.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    That's not an apple orchard mom. That's an apple forest! :faint:
    We used to sell fruit that we grew here. We had 23 acres in fruit trees when we closed the business. 2011 was our last season. The peach and plum trees have all died due to disease once we stopped spraying them but there are still a lot of apple trees out there. We ripped out the red delicious cause they are just yucky and that created a shooting lane for target practicing at the 400 yard mark. There are some others that have been pulled out to make clearer shooting at the coyotes where we put the bait pile. We have priorities. LOL

Honeycrisp should be ripe if there are any out there. I think we still have 100 of those trees out there, but without spraying them, finding good ones are not easy. Those take a lot more sprays/care than most of the other varieties, which is why they are more expensive to buy. Without calcium sprays, they rot before they are ripe and fall off of the trees.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom