• wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Why would they be illegal?

From "Indiana Firearm Law Reference Manual 3rd Edition" by Bryan Lee Ciyou, Esq. (Used with
    Permission)
    Retail establishments with "No Handguns Allowed" Posted at Entry: As a possessor with a real property
    interest, a retailer, has the right to limit, and qualify the right to enter the property, subject to not carrying a
    handgun. It would be improper to enter, and the Licensee would be subject to ejection for possession of a
    handgun thereat. Failure to leave once requested, would subject the Licensee to arrest for criminal trespass.

As mentioned, sign does NOT have the weight of law. Only if you refuse to leave when asked does it become a problem (felony trespass). In other words, what you don't know won't hurt me ;)

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    As mentioned, sign does NOT have the weight of law. Only if you refuse to leave when asked does it become a problem (felony trespass). In other words, what you don't know won't hurt me ;)
    That still does not make the sign illegal. That was why I questioned 2-tom's statement indicating that such signs are illegal in Indiana. Property owners have the right to post their desire, whether, or not, it is logical. The quote that I posted addresses the trespassing issue.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That still does not make the sign illegal. That was why I questioned 2-tom's statement indicating that such signs are illegal in Indiana. Property owners have the right to post their desire, whether, or not, it is logical. The quote that I posted addresses the trespassing issue.
    you keep saying PROPERTY OWNER.
    Tom wasn't talking about that part of the post.
    It was the part about city signs.
    CITY

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We frequent playgrounds and libraries where there are other young kids and families around. Often times these places especially libraries and park nature centers have the no guns allowed signs.

City, not Private.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Signs on public property would be against the law therefore illegal.

Signs on private property would have no force of law.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Not like concealed carriers don't get robbed as well. I wonder how many time a concealed carrier was robbed, who might not have been if they were open carrying? John Lott Jr's research shows a majority of criminals prefer to pick an easier target than someone who is visibly armed. That's not to say it can't happen, as of course it can, but I think both open and concealed carriers can end up robbed, including having their firearms stolen.
    You bring up a valid point which got me to thinking. Yeah I know the whole thinking thing so out of style .

But you ask how many concealed carriers are robbed?

I wonder if cc or oc is really irrelevant? I would propose that portrayal is a strong factor in victim selection. Regardless if someone has their nose so deep in their phone, or is otherwise totally oblivious to their surroundings I think your wearing the choose me button.

Take someone aware of their environment and who Conducts themselves as a confident person, I think the oc versus cc becomes less of a factor.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You bring up a valid point which got me to thinking. Yeah I know the whole thinking thing so out of style .

But you ask how many concealed carriers are robbed?

I wonder if cc or oc is really irrelevant? I would propose that portrayal is a strong factor in victim selection. Regardless if someone has their nose so deep in their phone, or is otherwise totally oblivious to their surroundings I think your wearing the choose me button.

Take someone aware of their environment and who Conducts themselves as a confident person, I think the oc versus cc becomes less of a factor.

Yep, plenty of research to support that. Look like an unaware victim and you have a greater chance of becoming one.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    One of my encounters with low lives was when my knees were very bad.

I was hobbling back to my car from Walmart, when I noticed someon circling around behind me.

It was Winter so I was concealed carrying under my coat. He never saw my my side arm but when I pulled myself up straight and walked as if nothing was wrong, he turned around and walked quickly away

grayishman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2022
    Too close to Gary
    I respect OCers but base my carry practices around grayman theory. Generally that means concealing it, but there have been situations where I've felt I blend in more to wear it outside the clothes. The important thing to me is not to become a target of attention for better or worse

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

He obviously doesn't OC, since people do not say things like he thinks they do. Seems to be a common misconception among people that are apprehensive about OCing.

Why do these videos like to use a guy with a gun in their pocket as examples of OCing? That is more stupid carry in my book.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    He obviously doesn't OC, since people do not say things like he thinks they do. Seems to be a common misconception among people that are apprehensive about OCing.

Why do these videos like to use a guy with a gun in their pocket as examples of OCing? That is more stupid carry in my book.
    Ditto, if a guy spends as much time talking about not pocket carrying as he does open in general then he’s not really talking to me, or adding to my knowledge base.
    In other words, anyone who would consider pocket carry the way he describes it, should not be open carrying either, because they really haven’t thought things through and are way too overconfident.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

I like Colion Noir. I disagree with his take here.

The vast majority of people will never notice your gun, whether they are bullying mommies or criminals. Whether carrying concealed or openly, the main problems are stupid carry and lack of situational awareness.

I do agree with holster retention. My favorite holster is a Level 2 retention - usually carried shirt-tail concealed, though on rare occasions, openly.

Grizz01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2022
    Hartsville
    With all due respect............

I carry concealed because I disagree with the premise that a visible weapon makes you less vulnerable! I believe the exact oppposite, that a person who might walk into a coffee shop (for example) and start choosing victims, may choose an obviously armed person as his first target. You are the obvious threat to his "success"! So, I would urge those who choose to OC, exercise your choice but try to be seated where your weapon is not "on display". There is a distinct difference between OC and "Hey look at me, I have a gun"! OTOH, if he sees your gun, he may rethink his priorities and cancel the event. Carry as you will, and so will I. It is an individual choice.

A bit of "graveyard humor" that used to go around at work, "Don't worry, pal. If somebody kills you, I'll kill him for you!" :draw:

If someone is going to rob a coffee shop. They are not part of some tactical team looking to take out their greatest threat first. They want non-resistant targets. Twice I've been open carrying and twice, some young men who looked to be thinking of robbing a gas station. They had seen my firearm, pointed at it, and immediately left the building. (Yes, positive their motive was to rob the store) To think the majority of people going into a store to rob it and they are thinking tactics like, "We've got to take out the threats." Well, you've been just watching too many movies.

Just carry the way you are comfortable and let everyone else do the same thing.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If someone is going to rob a coffee shop. They are not part of some tactical team looking to take out their greatest threat first. They want non-resistant targets. Twice I've been open carrying and twice, some young men who looked to be thinking of robbing a gas station. They had seen my firearm, pointed at it, and immediately left the building. (Yes, positive their motive was to rob the store) To think the majority of people going into a store to rob it and they are thinking tactics like, "We've got to take out the threats." Well, you've been just watching too many movies.

Just carry the way you are comfortable and let everyone else do the same thing.

There are plenty of people who don't believe in OC being a deterrent. I'm not sure how that can be so based on the work done by John Lott, Jr. over this topic, but whatever. I can see that it wouldn't work in every instance, but as you have pointed out, it does work sometimes. The "the bad guy will shoot you first" has always been just meaningless noise to me, mostly straight out of Hollywood anti-gun love.

The problem is that a crime that is deterred isn't reported and therefore there are no meaningful statistics. Those that have to have hard numbers to prove something therefore disregard it I guess... :dunno:

WillH

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    I would rather not advertise that I'm the biggest threat in the room to whoever wants to commit a crime, so they can choose to shoot me in the back when I'm not looking and before I've located a threat.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If you did not se that type of threat you need to improve your SA!

Or was it the well groomed fellow into three piece suit that got you.

Top Bottom