• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    OK if you say so. Seems to me after reading a lot of "lions" around here promoting wearing their teeth on their sleeve for the main reason of "deterrent". It's about their biggest arguement, "deterrent". Funny thing is all the teeth for sale around here never seem to have been used and are all "NIB" or used no more than a couple times. ROTFL

An argument could be made that the fact those guns haven't had to be used proves that those firearms have provided the hoped for deterrent.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I don't get it Jack, could you clarify? Because there are guns for sale on an internet forum means they don't deter criminals?

I don't mind giving you kids a few clues but I can't take you one to raise. You'll have to start thinking for your self sooner or later, it might as well be today.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't understand why this topic gets under so many folks skin the way it does. Personally, I think we need both open and concealed carry. I tend to CC but do OC on occasion. I think the biggest benifit of OC is getting the sheep used to seeing the difference between a sheepdog and a wolf. Right now, the media has the bulk of them programmed to equate a gun with a criminal. If the sight of an otherwise normal looking person with a sidearm becomes more common, it might relax a few more of them, even to the point that may open thier minds to buying a handgun themselves.

On the other hand, if you tell a scumbag that an ever increasing number of people are CCing, then there's going to be an ever increasing risk of running into one of them when commiting a crime. Sooner or later, living at the expense of others will just become too risky for your redeemable scumbag and they may try living a decent life.

The key is that we get as many people to carry as we can. I'd love to see the day when it's common to see someone with a sidearm shopping for groceries and getting no more attention than someone without the sidearm.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Concealed.

I don't wanna get my "head split open like a canoe" by someone who has no respect for the Constitution.

That said I have no problem with OC or CC, and would OC if it weren't for the reason above.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    This argument has it's parallel in the debate over whether private citizens should be able to carry a weapon with them in public at all.

1. The "logical" argument, that doesn't take real world evidence into account says, "You can't have everyone running around with a gun! You'd have people shooting each other over parking spaces."
    2. The philosophical argument says that it's a right, and the practical considerations shouldn't be taken into account at all.
    3. The most sensible argument, by any standard, is, "It's a right, and no one can produce evidence that it causes the ill effects you're imagining, so until then there's no good reason not to do it."

In this argument, number three always wins.

Personally, I CC. My choice has only been challenged here a couple of times. On the other hand, the folks who take the "logical" approach, claiming that you're more vulnerable by OCing, tend to get worked up and personal about how tactically disadvantageous it is to open carry.

When you make an assertion, it is your responsibility to provide evidence.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I carry concealed 60 percent of the time. For one reason is that it is winter time and my firearm is hidden by my parka. I think the best decision should be where you are going to determine if you are going to be concealed or not. If I am going to the mall I will carry concealed simply because the mall may have a no firearms policy. If I go to a resturant I will carry open i.e. I will take my parka off and my firearm is visible. My decision is based on practicality not for some hypotheitical hearsay example of some possiblity of some event that will happen.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The way I see it, there is no perfect and right answer for this. It's gonna depend on the type of person, and what your doing, and where your going. Depending on what I'm doing and where I'm going, thats how I decide how to carry. Sometimes I just don't want anyone to know I'm carrying, other times I want people to know I am. There's advantages and disadvantages to both. No matter which one your doing, you always have to be aware of everything. Thats all that matters. You have to be aware, and be one step ahead of everyone else. If your not paying attention, and your OCing, you can still lose. You can still be too late on drawing your weapon. There shouldn't be anymore fighting on which one is best. It all comes down to being aware of everything around you.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I carry concealed 60 percent of the time. For one reason is that it is winter time and my firearm is hidden by my parka. I think the best decision should be where you are going to determine if you are going to be concealed or not. If I am going to the mall I will carry concealed simply because the mall may have a no firearms policy. If I go to a resturant I will carry open i.e. I will take my parka off and my firearm is visible. My decision is based on practicality not for some hypotheitical hearsay example of some possiblity of some event that will happen.

:+1:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Unless he defines which is more important, doing what he set out for, or not being the victim of a violent crime. The rest of his essay is pointless.

From the essay:
    Those two goals might appear at first blush to be mutually exclusive, and with concealed carry it would be a difficult set of goals to realize.

In Indiana, there are relatively few locations where one is forced to choose priority between these goals.
    One assumption this essay addresses is that one must always choose exclusively.

If I set out to have lunch with my wife while she's at work, and I choose to open carry. I, and possibly she, are unlikely to have a good time.

Especially if she worked in Chicago. :D

Glad we have the choice here.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    OK if you say so. Seems to me after reading a lot of "lions" around here promoting wearing their teeth on their sleeve for the main reason of "deterrent". It's about their biggest arguement, "deterrent". Funny thing is all the teeth for sale around here never seem to have been used and are all "NIB" or used no more than a couple times. ROTFL

I too am a little :dunno: by this statement .

Are you saying that people that CC carry use thier guns more than people that open carry ?

That people who open carry sell more guns , than people that CC ?

I know you're a very good " Philosiphizer" , but I'm lost in your meanning .:rolleyes:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I too am a little :dunno: by this statement .

Are you saying that people that CC carry use thier guns more than people that open carry ?

That people who open carry sell more guns , than people that CC ?

I know you're a very good " Philosiphizer" , but I'm lost in your meanning .:rolleyes:
    From reading Jack's posts in the past, I think he means that he has encountered persons that admit to OCing for the sole purpose of making a public statement of "Look! I have a firearm! Can you see it?" That they do not generally OC due to comfort reasons, that they carry a firearm more for shock value than for personal protection.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    From reading Jack's posts in the past, I think he means that he has encountered persons that admit to OCing for the sole purpose of making a public statement of "Look! I have a firearm! Can you see it?" That they do not generally OC due to comfort reasons, that they carry a firearm more for shock value than for personal protection.

Thanks for clearing that up for me , it kind makes a little more sense now .

Rep'd !:)

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    rhino said:
    I think it would be interesting to know how many people will actually read the essay in the first message in its entirety and comprehend what it's saying before posting a message here.

Based on some of the first responses, it seems some DIDN'T read it.

Lars said:
    If I set out to have lunch with my wife while she's at work, and I choose to open carry. I, and possibly she, are unlikely to have a good time.

This is a singular circumstance. There are instances where I'd certainly rather CC than OC, but plenty of fine circumstances for OC as well. Take it with a grain of salt. I CC 95% of the time or more.

Jack Ryan said:
    An argument could be made that the fact those guns haven't had to be used proves that those firearms have provided the hoped for deterrent.

Seems to me Jack's point is that while they argue the gun is a deterrent and argue that we should show our "teeth", they've not practiced well enough and are based on immature thinking. And I agree.

I think it's fine to OC and fine if you want it to be a deterrent, but for God's sake practice and know how to use it if need be. My guns are used, and will continue to be used in practice.

In any case, the article makes some interesting points for the argument, and while most of the time I'll continue to CC out of personal preference, I may OC from time to time as well.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The argument that open carry acts as a deterrent is inductive logic.

"People don't want to get shot. No one has attacked me while open carrying. Therefore open carry acts as a deterrent."

Well, no one has attacked me while carrying concealed either.

The fact is, fortunately, that in our society attacks are rare enough that most people never use their carry gun in self defense.

"But, it happens to someone every day" is true, and so having a gun, knowing how and when to use it, and being aware of the things around you (giving you the time advantage you need to bring a weapon to bear) are far more important concerns than whether the gun is open or concealed.

Same goes for the argument that open carry makes you the first target. It's inductive reasoning, so the above statement still applies.

For me the arguments holding that open carry is a form of free speech can be more deductive and more valid (I'm using the logic definition of the word "valid" here, don't you all go getting your undies in a wad).

"Open carry is a form of political free speech supporting the Second Amendment. Gun owners need to show support for the Second Amendment, therefore gun owners should open carry."

This argument is more deductive and more valid (again "valid" being used in the logical sense).

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Seems to me Jack's point is that while they argue the gun is a deterrent and argue that we should show our "teeth", they've not practiced well enough and are based on immature thinking. And I agree.

Jack's point was based on nothing. To agree that people who carry openly have not used their guns or practiced well enough is jumping off quite an unsupported cliff IMO.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    Inductive logic merely offers an explanation of why they do this.

My logic tells me it's because they don't want to get shot.

1) That person has a gun. They'll shoot me.

2) That person doesn't appear to have a gun. It is less likely that I'll get shot robbing them.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Actually, we get this straight from criminals who claim that they

...will avoid an armed person or home when selecting a victim.

Inductive logic merely offers an explanation of why they do this.

It's still inductive, because the premise is based on an observation or survey. "Studies show that crimials avoid people who was armed" does not mean the next one will.

The premises of an inductive logical argument indicate some degree of support (inductive probability) for the conclusion but do not entail it; i.e. they do not ensure its truth. Induction is used to ascribe properties or relations to types based on an observation instance (i.e., on a number of observations or experiences); or to formulate laws based on limited observations of recurring phenomenal patterns. Induction is employed, for example, in using specific propositions such as:
    This ice is cold. (Or: All ice I have ever touched has been cold.) Inductive reasoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    In deductive reasoning, true premises guarantee a true conclusion.

Basically the concusion of a deductive argument for open carry will be "Criminals will not attack a person who is armed."

We know that's not true.

Top Bottom