• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I met a young guy with all life's answers sporting a holster that John Wayne would be proud to own. He was carrying a 10 inch Blackhawk chambered for .30 US carbine.

He thinks carrying the hog leg around open proves he is more patriotic than a 1911 under my jacket. We have to be patient, but his weirdness scares me. Nothing about him presents a positive public interchange.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Hi…my name is ACC and I live a double carry life.

Living / Operating in N. Indy/Carmel/Fishers, I CC 100% of the time. Too many people, too many No Firearms businesses, too much exposure.

When I go to my cabin in Parke Co and go into town, I open carry 90% of the time. Less people, it’s more comfortable, rural environment, more gun friendly people.

I guess my take is that you have do what is right for you in whatever situation you are in. There is no right answer.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My girl is actually my TBI service dog, so she is with me 24/7. Has to be... that's been her job for the last 9 years.
    Oh, and if you want the extra weight, you can have some of mine...

Her on the walking trail.

View attachment 274122
    A long time friend I regard as a brother lost his eyesight in his 30's. I remember the big deal to get his first service dog. A beautiful black lab. The cost was tough to absorb. That dog was amazing. Once the harness was on, that dog was 100% business. So dependable, so dutiful, and smart. My friend loved to hike with me and the dog did great. Whenever the dog felt he could not get his master safely though, like a narrow path near water, his dog would park and signal me to lead my friend through. Take the harness off, and the dog would run after a ball and jump around like any pet. I sure enjoyed them.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Even though OC is perfectly legal in Indiana, I refrain from doing so. Personally I just do not want to deal with some woke libtard idiot screaming: “Gun, this guy has a gun!” and the consequences of such idiocy. I’d rather carry carefully concealed and go about my business undisturbed. My position is why antagonize the Anti-2A people into ruining your day.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I met a young guy with all life's answers sporting a holster that John Wayne would be proud to own. He was carrying a 10 inch Blackhawk chambered for .30 US carbine.

He thinks carrying the hog leg around open proves he is more patriotic than a 1911 under my jacket. We have to be patient, but his weirdness scares me. Nothing about him presents a positive public interchange.

Did he say the second part….? Or are these assumptions?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Even though OC is perfectly legal in Indiana, I refrain from doing so. Personally I just do not want to deal with some woke libtard idiot screaming: “Gun, this guy has a gun!” and the consequences of such idiocy. I’d rather carry carefully concealed and go about my business undisturbed. My position is why antagonize the Anti-2A people into ruining your day.
    I've never had anyone freak out on me for carrying. As others have said, any interactions I've had at all have been positive. But I'm not OC'ing to make a point. I'm doing it because it's the most comfortable way for me to carry.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Yes, called out my patriotic commitment for CC. Lots of zeal, needs some maturity.
    I guess I would need to know how the first part of the conversation went if you walked up talking about hog legs and John wayne?

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I’m jealous of you guys and your GSDs! I’m allergic and can’t be around dogs or cats anymore. :-(

I carry concealed most of the time. When I’m on my scooter it’s a different story… HK P30/P2000 in a Safariland 6378. Don’t have to worry about bouncing a pistol off the road.
    Don’t care what the sheeple think.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I go to the church of asp (active self protection on YouTube) I try not to break the rules of stupid this would be considered a stupid place at a stupid time with arguably stupid people. So no I am not there. Lol
    Understood but sometimes it’s a necessary evil.

Like when you are out at all hours for work and you do not have a whole lot of restroom options in some areas.

If I were so inclined I think I could be a content producer with some of the stuff you see there. Often times it’s best to smile and wave and move on.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A buddy of mine called me a few years ago after he went thru an experience that made me question open carry. He was in Walmart, open carrying, and he said he heard a woman in a panic saying “he has a gun”. Turns around and this woman is staring and pointing straight at him. He said the place was not busy at all, a few other patrons looked their way, saw him, saw her, and went about their business. He said he calmly walked up to the checkout line, paid, and got out of there.

This moron could have easily created a panic in a crowded place.

She could say the same thing if you CC.
    CC is not invisible.

Just more likely if you OC than CC.

Have some good lines already made up.
    Know the law.

Say something like, it's okay, it's been there 30 years and never jumped out yet.
    Or maybe, laugh. But not maniacally.
    Or maybe ask her to point out the Indiana Code on LEGALLY carrying a firearm.
    Or. Relax Karen. If it was REALLY dangerous you wouldn't be calling attention to it.

I'm afraid of confronting a bear.
    So if a bear walks into Walmart, I'm not gonna yell and create a scene attracting the bears attention.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Understood but sometimes it’s a necessary evil.

Like when you are out at all hours for work and you do not have a whole lot of restroom options in some areas.

If I were so inclined I think I could be a content producer with some of the stuff you see there. Often times it’s best to smile and wave and move on.

I understand that, being on the road for work and such I have been in some questionable areas when nature calls. I’m just saying I’m not there enough to “know” what I’m missing lol

Reactions: wcd

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I get notices on my Citizen app all the time that just say "Report of man armed with a gun." Nothing else - not that he was attacking anyone or waving the gun around, etc.. Just that he was armed. Then I got to thinking, I wonder if anyone has reported me for being "armed with a gun". :):
    I think I accidentally did this in a gas station the other day. I carry in an enigma and just have a Velcro belt on. I walked up to the clerk to check out and looked down and my belt had un-velcroed and somehow my shirt was all jacked up to where you could see my gun. I fixed it, looked up and she was just wide eyed staring at me. She either saw it or thought I was going to whip my junk out and play with it. Either way, I paid and gtfo.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I prefer the same as you. I'm not in the market to advertise or give someone a try at removing my firearm from its holster. These warm days i might print at the 4oclock, but i feel more secure where it's at.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Most any 'interactions' I have, have been pretty friendly.

As for those.. not so friendly

I was eating outside at a restaurant when I overheard one of the women (2 men, 2 women behind me, in their 20s or so) say something like, he must think he's one of those Texas guys.
    I mulled a few comments over, then decided not to even respond. It wasn't worth it, and it wasn't said loudly or at me. If they decided to say something more, then maybe.
    I just put another piece of steak into my mouth.

I was CCing when an old lady told me, ALL gun owners should be arrested and put in prison. I asked her, what about those that would protect her from criminals. She stated, they're ALL CRIMINALS.
    Didn't even bother after that. In the crowd I noticed 2 other people CCing.

It wasn't an 'unfriendly' interaction, or even an interaction.
    Went to a steak dinner with friends, and one told me she overheard someone at a table near the beginning whisper 'he must be a cop'. No other comments.

I've had a LOT of positive interactions.
    People will ask about the law.
    People will ask about guns or classes, or how to get started. Or licenses/permits.
    People thank me. sometimes.
    Some said they will hide behind me. I tell them, if the gun comes out, get far away. Cause if I'm shooting, someone else is shooting, and it'll probably be at me.

At my brother's wedding (repeteter1977) I was in my S&W model 19 phase, because the work parking lot rule hadn't happened yet. So most of my carrying was in the day, no need for night sights and such.
    Had the 19 in some beautiful shiny red wood grips.
    Someone mentioned at the table (I wasn't at the table) to the bar manager, wondering why I needed to carry. When the comment was made, 3 people pointed to their CC gun, and I think one had a backup.
    The bride and groom were okay with it, I asked. And that's all that mattered. (it was at my American Legion Post.

Usually at the Legion, if I'm doing work (finance officer) no one notices, I'm in the office.
    If there's an event, I CC, because I don't want the Legion finances to be affected by my carry decision.
    But I was in signing checks or something, one of the ladies asked if my dog could come out. So while she was playing with Zeus, another lady looked and said, 'why are you carrying a pistol?'
    I told her, I ALWAYS carry, and that she had met me for over 10 years carrying a pistol. Now was no different than any other time.
    The bartender was the then Commander, he pulled out his pistol and set it down.
    About half the bar pulled out a pistol, and set it on the bar.
    Good times were had.
    And then I was a spoilsport and told everyone guns are best in the holster, until needed.

Walked into an electronics place, hhgreg, or something like that.
    Salesman came up and said, excuse me sir, do you know there's a pistol on your hip. He was smiling.
    I looked down at it, and in a wimpy voice said, oh no, take it of take it off.
    We both laughed.
    And then he sold me something. Printer or camera, can't remember.

I did have ONE officer say, 'oh, you're one of THOSE guys'.
    I said, one of those guys?
    A law abiding citizen?
    A guy who's taught many gun safety classes, including children of people on your department?
    Or the guy that's pulled quite a few officers out of ditches in the winter after they slid in, and didn't want to tell dispatch? Maybe ask around the department and see.

I was coming home from Winimac (INGO M&S) and stopped at a KFC.
    Kid running the cash register had his eye (saucer shaped) glued to it.
    I told him, relax. It's been there a couple decades and it hadn't misbehaved.

There's probably others.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't think it's 'a market to advertise'. At least for me.

I just stopped giving a sh**.
    Why am I trying to dress around hiding a gun?
    I know the law better than 'most', not all, but most.
    I don't let my anger get to me, even if CCing, cause I know if ANYTHING happens, it will be about the gun.
    I don't 'appear' to be a hoodlum'.
    I'm tired and too old to worry about other's 'sensibilities'.

Top Bottom