• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    IMHO I just do not agree with open carry. Just because you can does not mean you should!
    Besides, why invite trouble and antagonize the anti-gun people and let them scream more often trying to crush the 2A?
    My 2 cents and then some. Peace.
    Don't want to open carry? Great! Don't open carry.

Just don't expect anyone else to conform to your personal preference.

Also: [citation needed] that open carry antagonizes the anti-gun people. Literally tens of millions of people carry daily, a non-trivial percentage of whom do so openly. YouTube stunts are not indicative of the entire population of those who carry - and especially of those who carry openly.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Sorry. What is funny is that when my son is clean shaven he does not even look like he is 18.
    But given his height and hair cut and the way he presents himself it’s not likely anyone would say a word to him.
    That's assuming that they first even notice that he's carrying a firearm, which the vast majority of people don't.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    That's assuming that they first even notice that he's carrying a firearm, which the vast majority of people don't.
    Unfortunately we have a lot of Karen’s in some areas around her. But for the most part I think you are correct, for the most part people are so engaged in their phones they would not even know they are getting rained on.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Maybe. Weather apps and weathermen in general suck! I wonder sometimes if they are even able to look out the window and tell us what it is like outside.
    Actually, the apps I use are pretty good, especially at identifying weather at my location.

shane947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2023
    Fishers
    I know we've been around this block a few times here but I ran across a link to this post and thought that it was one of the best written pieces I had read on the subject.

The author expounds on many of the points that have been debated in several different threads here and across many other forums for years.

Since this post captures so much and adds a bit that I don't recall even seeing here before, I will give it its own thread instead of burying it on page 10 of one of the existing threads.

Long but very interesting read IMO.

(source link) The Open Carry Argument

:popcorn:

ETA: If you didn't already, go back and click the BLUE link. It is well worth the additional reading.
    The only time i open carry is when in uniform. Outside of that I only conceal carry.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The only time i open carry is when in uniform. Outside of that I only conceal carry.
    What kind of uniform? Law Enforcement? Military? McDonalds?

The first two are kinda expected. The last would be impressive.

I OC when in uniform as well. My uniform happens to be khakis/jeans and a polo/Oxford. Generic "I drive a desk" attire.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Personally, there are times I do both OC or CC, depending on situation, but I found this interesting. Last few years though, I have gone to OC more often, both for comfort & speed, as well as like discussed in the video, just to get the public to see that a man walking around armed is not a bad thing.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    We’ve met in person a couple of times.

YOU can do whatever the hell you want and NOBODY will say a word, I can promise you that
    LOL. OK, I do realize that being bearded guy, 6'1", 270, and having a 90# German Shepherd follow you around everywhere does tend to keep some people at a distance... AND maybe I still have a bit of that leftover Drill Sgt / combat vet "IDGAF" aura around me... but I smile at people, and say "howdy".

Besides, I'd kinda like it to be how they said in the video... Just people getting used to the idea that some dude walking around with a handgun on his hip doesn't automatically mean he's a violent criminal boogyman out to steal your kids.

Top Bottom