• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sphinx313

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Central
    I don't mind 'seeing' OC when the person has their **** together with a proper holster/belt. Saw a guy a few weeks ago in basketball shorts with some holster clipped to his shorts and he had to hold his pants up and it was just sad. I do have to admit, you can almost always spot those guys that are OC because they want you to see. It is weird to me, but if it makes you feel better! Carrying is what we need; I don't care how you do it, just safely.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Was standing behind a guy at the bill changer at the car wash ...he was carrying at 4:00 ish with a soft holster with the snap on it
    Just kept thinking how easy I could snatch that gun off him (obviously something I'd never do) but with the lack of self control displayed in folks these days that pretty much sealed it for me
    But to each their own

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Was standing behind a guy at the bill changer at the car wash ...he was carrying at 4:00 ish with a soft holster with the snap on it
    Just kept thinking how easy I could snatch that gun off him (obviously something I'd never do) but with the lack of self control displayed in folks these days that pretty much sealed it for me
    But to each their own
    Good thing there were no 5 year old girls in the area.

We really need an INGO lore/inside joke thread. Maybe hyperlinks of certain words and phrases. No I'm not going to do that, but it would be cool.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't mind 'seeing' OC when the person has their **** together with a proper holster/belt. Saw a guy a few weeks ago in basketball shorts with some holster clipped to his shorts and he had to hold his pants up and it was just sad. I do have to admit, you can almost always spot those guys that are OC because they want you to see. It is weird to me, but if it makes you feel better! Carrying is what we need; I don't care how you do it, just safely.
    That would have been just as bad with an IWB holster as an OWB holster.

Why are you projecting? Most of "those" guys don't OC because they want you to see the gun. Most people never see the gun.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Don't think I understand what you're saying
    This is why we need the hyperlinks to the Ingo dictionary. Several years back there was an anti-2A cop In South band named Sergeant Maxey. Thankfully he is retired now. He told and open carrying Ingo her that I five-year-old girl could take his gun from him.

That became part of Ingolore, just like the state trooper stole my wallet, the lifetime license to carry is going away, the Boner drone, twigs and berries, the 870 that went off by itself at shoot right, and yes I will include… Moderator and good friend to many of us Churchmouse, who we lost last week, is so old!

In other words there are a lot of inside jokes and Lore at this site.

Edit: Please excuse the talk to text, I will clean it up later.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I was shopping in Tractor Supply in St John, guy walks up and starts talking to me. On his hip was a single action six-shooter. Didn't think anything of it. Did not hear any mother's wailing or children screaming at any point while he was there. Ran into him again in the parking lot, he was puffing on a cigar in his F250. Clearly a politically in-correct St John snob.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I OC mostly because I don't (yet) have an IWB rig or an easily concealable pistol that I'd want to EDC. My primary EDC is my 92FS and is the only one I have that I don't care about wear and tear. Most of my stuff is inherited older pieces or safe queens (i.e. my TRP 1911). I am saving to rectify that, but for now it is what I have to work with.

The other reason I OC is not to really be "seen", but is my way of 2A advocacy and to show that it isn't abnormal to have a sidearm in public nor something to be feared. Many folks have been curious about what I'm carrying or have made positive comments expressing thanks for being "a good guy with a gun" and they appreciate the fact that I am carrying. In the several years I've been OC'ing, I've only had two negative reactions directed at me (liberals of course - as some of you know from my Opinions needed - What would you do? thread).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is why we need the hyperlinks to the Ingo dictionary. Several years back there was an anti-2A cop In South band named Sergeant Maxey. Thankfully he is retired now. He told and open carrying Ingo her that I five-year-old girl could take his gun from him.

That became part of Ingolore, just like the state trooper stole my wallet, the lifetime license to carry is going away, the Boner drone, twigs and berries, the 870 that went off by itself at shoot right, and yes I will include… Moderator and good friend to many of us Churchmouse, who we lost last week, is so old!

Further cleanup required. :):

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Good comprehensive article. It well reasoned and eloquently presented.

There are valid arguments on both sides. I agree with the author, do what you are comfortable with. Just accept that if you open carry you need to always maintain the higher ground because everything you do will include the modifier "with a gun."

If someone shoots you a dirty look, smile pleasantly and wish them a good day. If someone calls you out in an aggressive manner, thank them for their concern and reassure them that you respect all their constitutional rights. Then walk away.

Don't let some lunatic activist maneuver you into a Ticky Tacky video screaming red faced at some Karen wile a pistol flops around in your Uncle Mikes nylon holster. This is not helpful.

Also make sure you have a good quality holster.

Of course, these rules also apply to concealed carry as well. Open carry just adds an additional variable.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Or, instead of the 50 post rule you can take a test to prove that you’ve read the classics.

As I typed this I realized that that kinda already happens, you can see who’s into the site itself, no matter their post count, by their reference to the classics and the inside jokes. Another way of vetting, should save you from having to show your license and pink card in a transaction.

Please note the very light purple.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Good comprehensive article. It well reasoned and eloquently presented.

There are valid arguments on both sides. I agree with the author, do what you are comfortable with. Just accept that if you open carry you need to always maintain the higher ground because everything you do will include the modifier "with a gun."

If someone shoots you a dirty look, smile pleasantly and wish them a good day. If someone calls you out in an aggressive manner, thank them for their concern and reassure them that you respect all their constitutional rights. Then walk away.

Don't let some lunatic activist maneuver you into a Ticky Tacky video screaming red faced at some Karen wile a pistol flops around in your Uncle Mikes nylon holster. This is not helpful.

Also make sure you have a good quality holster.

Of course, these rules also apply to concealed carry as well. Open carry just adds an additional variable.
    I understand your concerns. It is funny that having openly carried for many years I have never run into a situation like you described.

I have had many people say they liked my gun. I've had a lot of people say they liked my holster I have gotten very few odd looks over the years.

Back years ago when I first started carrying openly, I was one of the only ones in this area that did so. I had several run ins with police officers who knew criminal law but didn't know that carrying a gun was not criminal. When I explained it to them they got mad and told me to get the heck out of there. I haven't had that kind of interaction in 10 years.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    Below, is an incident I posted on another site back in 2009:

I'd spent a couple hours enjoying coffee, cigarettes & conversation with a good friend in Tom's Donuts in Angola, Indiana. I'd been open carrying all over Angola for more than a year and Tom's Donuts was one of my favorite places to sit & visit.
    As usual, I was openly wearing my Smith & Wesson Model of 1917 in an Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster. At about 16:00, my friend & I decided to leave & we walked out the door. We'd been sitting in a booth and I'd noticed an older man sitting at the counter who had been staring at me with a sour expression.

Friend and I exited the building and were standing by my automobile when an Angola Police Dept. vehicle pulled into the parking lot. I told my friend not to leave as I had a suspicion the policeman was there on account of me. Friend told me he had no intention of leaving.

Policeman 1 walked past us and looked at me and said,"How ya doing?" I replied,"Howdy," and Policeman 1 went inside. Friend and I waited. In a couple minutes, Policeman 1 came outside and said,"Sir, do you have a permit for that?" I replied,"Yes I do. Would you like to see it?"

Policeman 1: Yes, if I may.

I got my wallet and removed my LTCH and handed it to him. While he was looking at it, Policeman No. 2 arrived in another prowl car and approached us with a smile on his face.

Policeman 2: That permit is for concealed carry.

Me: Oh no, Sir. An Indiana LTCH is just that, a license to carry handgun. There is no stipulation or requirement for concealed carry and I carry it however I want.

Policeman 1: Sir, do you have a middle name? (My first name is just an initial and I have no middle name.)

Me: No, Sir. Would you like to see my drivers license to go along with that?

Policeman 1: Yes, please.

I retrieved my wallet again and got out my drivers license and handed it to him.

Policeman 1 to Policeman 2: He's right. There's no requirement for concealed carry.

Policeman 1: Sir, I have to get you for trespass.

Me: Oh no, Sir. They have no signage on the door. I've been open carrying in there for more than a year. I pay for my coffee and donuts and tip nicely. Nobody in there has ever said anything to me about open carrying. If they'd have just told me they didn't want me to open carry in there, I would have honored their request.

Friend: That's right. We've been going in there like this for more than a year and have never had any problems or complaints.

Policeman 1: Sorry to have bothered you (as he handed back my LTCH and drivers license).

Me: I take no offense and bear no animosity. You were just doing your job (as I offered my hand).

Policeman 1 shook my hand with a smile on his face and thanked me for my service to our country. (I was wearing my 'U.S. Army Veteran' baseball cap.)

Policeman 2: Have a nice day and thanks for your service.

Me: I've spent a lot of money in there and I can assure you, Sir,I won't go in there again. I will spend my money elsewhere.

Policeman 1: I don't blame you. Have a good day.

Both Policemen left. Friend and I left. There were no citations, arrests or tickets issued. Both Policemen were friendly, cordial, polite. I sincerely believe neither of them realized prior to about 16:10, 23May09 that an Indiana LTCH does not require concealed carry.

Friend always conceals but now he's going to start open carry.

Top Bottom