• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I'm one step away from open carry. I carry OTB under an untucked button down (with cargo shorts). No one has ever said anything as of yet. Well, one time the guy at the ammo counter of Walmart asked me what I carry. He may not have noticed, just asked in general.?
    Remember when you started CCing, the feeling EVERYONE was looking at you?

Be prepared for that to make a comeback.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Wasn't Hobart the location of a LEO telling someone they could not carry in the CIty park? Maybe a year or two back?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Wasn't Hobart the location of a LEO telling someone they could not carry in the CIty park? Maybe a year or two back?
    Hobart was at a gas station. Act posted it here.
    The park was further back. Maybe you are thinking of St John?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Hobart was at a gas station. Act posted it here.

The park was further back. Maybe you are thinking of St John?
    Hmmm. No on both. Well aware that Act had posted a link to a Hobart gas station interaction. That's what prompted my little grey cells to start spinning.

What I am recalling, vaguely, is a city park (well after the preemption statute) and a local LEO telling someone he couldn't carry in the city park, pointing out a sign that said so. May not have been Hobart - maybe Hammond. Perhaps not on INGO? Maybe on FB? Lots of recommendations that the guy contact Guy Relford...

Wan't St John either as that was 2010 which I believe was before out preemption statute.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hmmm. No on both. Well aware that Act had posted a link to a Hobart gas station interaction. That's what prompted my little grey cells to start spinning.

What I am recalling, vaguely, is a city park (well after the preemption statute) and a local LEO telling someone he couldn't carry in the city park, pointing out a sign that said so. May not have been Hobart - maybe Hammond. Perhaps not on INGO? Maybe on FB? Lots of recommendations that the guy contact Guy Relford...

Wan't St John either as that was 2010 which I believe was before out preemption statute.
    Hammond was in trouble for having a law against carrying in the park, and it was taken to court.
    Court ruled it was okay to have the law, as long as they didn't enforce the law.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    State Park? (Only National would be Indiana Dunes, I guess...)

Yep, State Park. Wife and I were hitting parks in the state doing some hiking and seeing the sights. Went to this one and had to laugh at the rules sign in the parking lot. Ran across the ranger at the visitor center and started talking. Told him how the rules sign posted in the parking lot that said weapons were prohibited was unenforceable and that IN had a preemption that made such rules at a park moot. He had no idea. This was 5 or 6 years ago, maybe the information is more widely understood now, but I wouldn't be shocked to find out otherwise.

Hammond was in trouble for having a law against carrying in the park, and it was taken to court.
    Court ruled it was okay to have the law, as long as they didn't enforce the law.

:n00b:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yep, State Park. Wife and I were hitting parks in the state doing some hiking and seeing the sights. Went to this one and had to laugh at the rules sign in the parking lot. Ran across the ranger at the visitor center and started talking. Told him how the rules sign posted in the parking lot that said weapons were prohibited was unenforceable and that IN had a preemption that made such rules at a park moot. He had no idea. This was 5 or 6 years ago, maybe the information is more widely understood now, but I wouldn't be shocked to find out otherwise.

:n00b:
    I don't believe that is quite accurate, unfortunately. Prememtion applies to political subdivisions, the state govt is not a subdivision. Although the DNR generally allow carry, but they prohibit carry at their shooting ranges. I believe the unemployment office also prohibits it along with the IN state museum and historical sites. Not to mention the IN gaming commission.

IC 35-47-11.1-2Political subdivision regulation of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories prohibited
    Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.

As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I don't believe that is quite accurate, unfortunately. Prememtion applies to political subdivisions, the state govt is not a subdivision. Although the DNR generally allow carry, but they prohibit carry at their shooting ranges. I believe the unemployment office also prohibits it along with the IN state museum and historical sites. Not to mention the IN gaming commission.

IC 35-47-11.1-2Political subdivision regulation of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories prohibited
    Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.

As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.

I can't remember where I'd read it, but I recall reading something a few years ago specifically about the pre-emption overriding state and city park rules. Now I have to go back to try to find that article... :(

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I can't remember where I'd read it, but I recall reading something a few years ago specifically about the pre-emption overriding state and city park rules. Now I have to go back to try to find that article... :(
    City/town/county parks and just about anywhere else that isn't prohibited by law, except buildings that contain a courtroom. They can still make those off limits. But state agencies can. At least that is how it was explained to me on here.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    City/town/county parks and just about anywhere else that isn't prohibited by law, except buildings that contain a courtroom. They can still make those off limits. But state agencies can. At least that is how it was explained to me on here.

I had mostly taken the info on Handgunlaw.us as gospel, when it stated that carry in State Parks was legal in IN, with the exception of Falls of the Ohio State Park. I could have sworn I also read an article specific to the pre-emption and parks in IN, but I could be misremembering... :dunno:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I had mostly taken the info on Handgunlaw.us as gospel, when it stated that carry in State Parks was legal in IN, with the exception of Falls of the Ohio State Park. I could have sworn I also read an article specific to the pre-emption and parks in IN, but I could be misremembering... :dunno:
    It is legal in state parks, except as you mentioned Falls of the Ohio and any resevors controlled by the ACoE. But not because of preemption, but because the DNR changed their rules. It's not in the IC but in the IAC the administrative rules the departments set.
    (4) The person possesses a handgun on a DNR property other than a reservoir owned by the U.S. Army
    Corps of Engineers or Falls of the Ohio State Park:
    (A) with a valid unlimited license to carry a handgun:
    (i) issued under IC 35-47-2-3; or
    (ii) recognized under IC 35-47-2-21(b); or
    (B) pursuant to an exemption to handgun licensure requirements as authorized under IC 35-47-2-

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    And I believe it is legal to carry anywhere not prohibited by state or federal law. Schools, post offices, etc. They can just kick you out and ban you. So if you go to a state historical site or into an unemployment office and it's posted you can't be arrested or fined.

thedreamer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2015
    Delaware County
    And I believe it is legal to carry anywhere not prohibited by state or federal law. Schools, post offices, etc. They can just kick you out and ban you. So if you go to a state historical site or into an unemployment office and it's posted you can't be arrested or fined.
    This is my understanding of how it works even inside parks and other such places as well. I have never had anyone say anything to me before.

Top Bottom