• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikek

What, Me Worry??
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 24, 2019
    mooresville
    Any local machine shops anyone would recommend for head and block work on a small block Chevy? I have a 355 that just got broke in and a wrist pin moved over into the cylinder bore and destroyed the block because it didn’t have enough press. So I am also looking for another 350 if anyone knows of any standard bore motors fore sale.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I had Quinlinn build my 351 last year. To be fair, I haven't finished assembling it with a cam/heads so I can't say much else. I got my new/used crankshaft and new rod/main bearings for my 302 from him. I did the assembly on that one.
    My father-in-law is the one who recommended Quinlinn. I hope I don't need engine work done for awhile, but I'll take it back to him if I do.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hey, have you guys heard of King Bearings? I have an upcoming interview with them next week and the person I talked to today said they have a good name in the performance markets.

Coming from TRW/Federal Mogul, I had my opinion on who I thought made good bearings and I have never heard of King before.

Are they all that and more?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yep. Modern engines generally have higher compression.

For example, the new stock Mustang GT 5.0 is 12.0:1
    Something must have changed in engine design. Many modern engines are 10 or more to one and can run fine on 87 octane unleaded gas. In the 70's we had to run premium gas, often searching high and low for leaded. And they would still spark knock. Moroso used to sell lead additive and octaine booster if all we could get was Amoco unleaded premium

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Something must have changed in engine design. Many modern engines are 10 or more to one and can run fine on 87 octane unleaded gas. In the 70's we had to run premium gas, often searching high and low for leaded. And they would still spark knock. Moroso used to sell lead additive and octaine booster if all we could get was Amoco unleaded premium

High quality electronic fuel injection and computer controlled ignition timing are the biggest advancements in the past 15-20ish years.

It’s a total package though. Heads are way better. Combustion chambers are better. Tolerances at tighter. Variable cam timing. Etc.

Reactions: Leo

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Hey, have you guys heard of King Bearings? I have an upcoming interview with them next week and the person I talked to today said they have a good name in the performance markets.

Coming from TRW/Federal Mogul, I had my opinion on who I thought made good bearings and I have never heard of King before.

Are they all that and more?
    I have heard them mentioned by a couple of guys that are big into imports. Don't know anything about them though.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Aluminum heads are way more common now, along with what CP mentioned.

Reactions: Leo

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I pulled the intercooler out of the truck the other night. Has a decent amount of oil in it.

Any recommendations where I can take it to be cleaned? Can someone like Quinlinn hot tank it?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Not really a "hot rod" here... but I've been forced into the wifes new car, 2023 Kia Seltos S FWD. Nice little cute ute thing, comfy and has their newer IVT trans. I learned this morning it has 8 "gears" in manual mode and apparently that matters.

1686247485568.png

If youd have told me we would be AVERAGING 38.5mpg in something this size and shape I would have laughed in your face.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Did a little weight reduction to the car for drag racing. I plan to take out the leather seats to race and put them back in for street driving. Swapping to the aluminum seat I lost 90lbs! 20230531_193434.jpg

I finally found a deal on a toolbox for the tongue of my trailer. Will be a good place to keep my straps, winch, floor jack, and some other misc tools.

20230607_053524.jpg

Planning on going to TNT night at Muncie on the 14th to hopefully break into the 10s. Then they are having a race the 17 and I think I am going to run the 12.20 index class. The car ran 12.26 without any nitrous last time out so I'm hoping to be competitive. It will be a .500 pro tree. I have zero experience racing the tree.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Any local machine shops anyone would recommend for head and block work on a small block Chevy? I have a 355 that just got broke in and a wrist pin moved over into the cylinder bore and destroyed the block because it didn’t have enough press. So I am also looking for another 350 if anyone knows of any standard bore motors fore sale.
    I have a 5.7.
    But you would have to buy the car it's in.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not really a "hot rod" here... but I've been forced into the wifes new car, 2023 Kia Seltos S FWD. Nice little cute ute thing, comfy and has their newer IVT trans. I learned this morning it has 8 "gears" in manual mode and apparently that matters.

View attachment 280474

If youd have told me we would be AVERAGING 38.5mpg in something this size and shape I would have laughed in your face.
    That's 11 mpg better than my Rav4 company car.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Did a little weight reduction to the car for drag racing. I plan to take out the leather seats to race and put them back in for street driving. Swapping to the aluminum seat I lost 90lbs! View attachment 280476

I finally found a deal on a toolbox for the tongue of my trailer. Will be a good place to keep my straps, winch, floor jack, and some other misc tools.

View attachment 280477

Planning on going to TNT night at Muncie on the 14th to hopefully break into the 10s. Then they are having a race the 17 and I think I am going to run the 12.20 index class. The car ran 12.26 without any nitrous last time out so I'm hoping to be competitive. It will be a .500 pro tree. I have zero experience racing the tree.
    It's amazing how much seats/carpets and creature comforts can weigh.
    Looks like a Kirkey pro street seat. If you get the padded seat cover it's not so bad for short distances. But I'm not sure it would be very pleasant on city streets.
    The race at Muncie, is that the ProShot media event?
    IMHO racing on the pro tree is easier than a sportsman tree. Since all 3 ambers come on at the same time hard focus on the top bulb and as soon as it starts to light up let off the line lock and let it eat

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    It's amazing how much seats/carpets and creature comforts can weigh.
    Looks like a Kirkey pro street seat. If you get the padded seat cover it's not so bad for short distances. But I'm not sure it would be very pleasant on city streets.
    The race at Muncie, is that the ProShot media event?
    IMHO racing on the pro tree is easier than a sportsman tree. Since all 3 ambers come on at the same time hard focus on the top bulb and as soon as it starts to light up let off the line lock and let it eat
    Yeah those leather seats are powered with heating and cooling. Surprised they only weighed 56.5lbs a piece. I was expecting more like 70 a piece. This is a Jeg's brand seat I believe. Got it with Racecraft brackets on FB marketplace for $200. I thought about a cover but I am going to see how much I use it first.

I think it is Hole Shot Media. The main guy is Blake, he put on the track rental a few weeks ago that I did. Nice guy. I have several friends who really like racing his events so I am excited to try it out. It will be only my 2nd competitive race that I have done.

They give two test passes before so that will be the first time I will try a pro tree.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah those leather seats are powered with heating and cooling. Surprised they only weighed 56.5lbs a piece. I was expecting more like 70 a piece. This is a Jeg's brand seat I believe. Got it with Racecraft brackets on FB marketplace for $200. I thought about a cover but I am going to see how much I use it first.

I think it is Hole Shot Media. The main guy is Blake, he put on the track rental a few weeks ago that I did. Nice guy. I have several friends who really like racing his events so I am excited to try it out. It will be only my 2nd competitive race that I have done.

They give two test passes before so that will be the first time I will try a pro tree.
    Yeah, not sure why I called it pro shot media lol. I've got a friend that plans to race up there in that deal next week.
    I have the Kirkey pro street seat and it looks almost identical. The cushion makes it bearable but the key for me is the snap in lumbar support that Kirkey sells. One thing is for sur, you will get more seat of the pants feedback from the car.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Yeah, not sure why I called it pro shot media lol. I've got a friend that plans to race up there in that deal next week.
    I have the Kirkey pro street seat and it looks almost identical. The cushion makes it bearable but the key for me is the snap in lumbar support that Kirkey sells. One thing is for sur, you will get more seat of the pants feedback from the car.
    If you make it up there with him look me up. I'll be one of the only sbf foxbodies lol.

I have only driven the car once with the seat. 15 minute drive to work wasn't too bad but I wouldn't want to do anything over an hour without some padding. One thing that will be nice for racing is it sits 4"-6" lower. That will make it much nicer taking my helmet on and off.

Side note, I was getting ready to order a Team Z roll cage for the foxbody then I found out the supercharger on my 2005 Mustang was leaking oil. Pulled it off and took it to a shop for a rebuild. The bearings in the snout went bad, tore up the snout case and the shaft. That was an extra $600 on top of the standard rebuild cost.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    If you make it up there with him look me up. I'll be one of the only sbf foxbodies lol.

I have only driven the car once with the seat. 15 minute drive to work wasn't too bad but I wouldn't want to do anything over an hour without some padding. One thing that will be nice for racing is it sits 4"-6" lower. That will make it much nicer taking my helmet on and off.

Side note, I was getting ready to order a Team Z roll cage for the foxbody then I found out the supercharger on my 2005 Mustang was leaking oil. Pulled it off and took it to a shop for a rebuild. The bearings in the snout went bad, tore up the snout case and the shaft. That was an extra $600 on top of the standard rebuild cost.
    I'm about 6'1 and had to cut the front brace out of my Vert and weld bolts almost directly to the floor pan in order to get the seat low enough to fit me and not be so cocked back that I was uncomfortable.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm about 6'1 and had to cut the front brace out of my Vert and weld bolts almost directly to the floor pan in order to get the seat low enough to fit me and not be so cocked back that I was uncomfortable.
    What kind of seat?

That would be helpful for my S550 seats but not needed for the aluminum seat.

Top Bottom