S.E. of disorder

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK. Think with me for a minute fellas. Need input.
    The 64 had a new tank put in it when it was 1st restored (:lmfao:) and it sat for years with what we currently call fuel in it.
    It is stained and somewhat coated with the brownish ugh for about 30% of the bottom and sides.
    Lets think about how to clean this sludge out. Would a couple of gallons of Acetone soak break this up. Throw in a couple handfuls off shot shell (steel of course) and do the hokey pokey with the tank.
    I have done motorcycle tanks this way but never a full size car tank.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    OK. Think with me for a minute fellas. Need input.
    The 64 had a new tank put in it when it was 1st restored (:lmfao:) and it sat for years with what we currently call fuel in it.
    It is stained and somewhat coated with the brownish ugh for about 30% of the bottom and sides.
    Lets think about how to clean this sludge out. Would a couple of gallons of Acetone soak break this up. Throw in a couple handfuls off shot shell (steel of course) and do the hokey pokey with the tank.
    I have done motorcycle tanks this way but never a full size car tank.
    I know a guy that does a lot of motorcycle tanks and uses acetone. He throw marbles in if it's got crusty. If it's a thick tar build up he uses muriatic acid.

So I think you're on the right track

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Cm
    Is there a old school radiator shop left?
    They would boil them back in the day.
    Eastwood restoration parts have some chemicals for cleaning and treatment of tanks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Cm
    Is there a old school radiator shop left?
    They would boil them back in the day.
    Eastwood restoration parts have some chemicals for cleaning and treatment of tanks.
    Thats pretty on point as a buddy just told me about an older guy (:fogey:) with an old school rad shop that will boil it out for me. I think I will check into this 1st of the week. I am given the pea brain body guy a chance to get something accomplished before I go back in there. I am fast loosing my patience with posers liar's and thieves.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Ok, slightly off topic but definitely inline with CM's trials and tribulations; anybody know a GOOD windshield guy that's familiar with vintage iron? For reasons I won't go into at this time I find it necessary to find the above listed person to correct the shortcomings of "My windshield guy has 50+ years in the business (hock. . . . .ptooey) damn straight he can put that windshield in your '63!

Uh

No, he can't. Well at least if you want it DRY inside when it rains.

Anybody? And there will be a quiz for nominees before I pay for this job AGAIN!

Thinking about calling this thing Double Up because so far I've had to double up on damn near everything I've done to it.:nopity:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok, slightly off topic but definitely inline with CM's trials and tribulations; anybody know a GOOD windshield guy that's familiar with vintage iron? For reasons I won't go into at this time I find it necessary to find the above listed person to correct the shortcomings of "My windshield guy has 50+ years in the business (hock. . . . .ptooey) damn straight he can put that windshield in your '63!

Uh

No, he can't. Well at least if you want it DRY inside when it rains.

Anybody? And there will be a quiz for nominees before I pay for this job AGAIN!

Thinking about calling this thing Double Up because so far I've had to double up on damn near everything I've done to it.:nopity:
    I knew a couple of Hispanic fellas that were stellar glass guys. They got the original glass out of my 70 Camaro and did not break it.
    But I have lost track of them.
    Do you want that glass removed and re-installed in the proper fashion...:):

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I knew a couple of Hispanic fellas that were stellar glass guys. They got the original glass out of my 70 Camaro and did not break it.
    But I have lost track of them.
    Do you want that glass removed and re-installed in the proper fashion...:):
    Roger that. Hell, I'll remove it myself and "can" reinstall it myself and probably will but would prefer a pro handle it if I can find him.

I'm planning on pulling them this weekend and may just go ahead and take the leaf on the rear, it seems like a good training tool.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Roger that. Hell, I'll remove it myself and "can" reinstall it myself and probably will but would prefer a pro handle it if I can find him.

I'm planning on pulling them this weekend and may just go ahead and take the leaf on the rear, it seems like a good training tool.
    What I was told tonight which is why I asked is that the new adhesives they use can be a freaking bear to get the glass back out. My buddy said he does it but if he did not put it in he has no idea what products have been used and cant say it will come out unscathed.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    What I was told tonight which is why I asked is that the new adhesives they use can be a freaking bear to get the glass back out. My buddy said he does it but if he did not put it in he has no idea what products have been used and cant say it will come out unscathed.
    This is still a gasketed windshield with a sealant between the rubber and steel. Easy peasy removal especially with new rubber. The problem I ran into here is that they didn't use any sealant in the gasket channel as original they just threw it in as is. On this car there are molding clips that wrap around the steel flange so where they wrap around the flange they lift the gasket away from the metal causing a direct route for water to leak in and it does. A LOT.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is still a gasketed windshield with a sealant between the rubber and steel. Easy peasy removal especially with new rubber. The problem I ran into here is that they didn't use any sealant in the gasket channel as original they just threw it in as is. On this car there are molding clips that wrap around the steel flange so where they wrap around the flange they lift the gasket away from the metal causing a direct route for water to leak in and it does. A LOT.
    OK I see it now.

Top Bottom