• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Do modern diesels have electronic rev limiters like gas engines? The popping out of the exhaust like it was having spark cut, on an engine which shouldn't have spark at all, was odd.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I assume that was a mechanical CAT 3406 A or B mode. It could be a big cam Cummins mechanical as well. Pump wide open and timing advanced to the max.

I believe the pop was spark knock due to advanced timing.

Modern engines use fuel and timing to govern them some as low as 1500rpm.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I assume that was a mechanical CAT 3406 A or B mode. It could be a big cam Cummins mechanical as well. Pump wide open and timing advanced to the max.

I believe the pop was spark knock due to advanced timing.

Modern engines use fuel and timing to govern them some as low as 1500rpm.

How does a diesel spark knock?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Do modern diesels have electronic rev limiters like gas engines? The popping out of the exhaust like it was having spark cut, on an engine which shouldn't have spark at all, was odd.

The exhaust popping is more than likely from a water/meth injection system at full blast, high concentrations can cause early detonation in diesels

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I was wondering about that, or maybe propane injection? I don't know much about diesel performance.
    It could be propane, but propane compresses. So thats why im guessing water/meth. The mixture doesn't compress so therefore changes the compression characteristic in the chamber and can cause early detonation. It also does a good job of controlling EGT and Intake temps on builds

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    It could be propane, but propane compresses. So thats why im guessing water/meth. The mixture doesn't compress so therefore changes the compression characteristic in the chamber and can cause early detonation. It also does a good job of controlling EGT and Intake temps on builds

Weird... Water/meth is used to decrease detonation in gas engines. Odd how things change when you double the CR. ;)

Top Bottom