• ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Next to last paragraph:

"At the tippy-top of the food chain, and limited to just 25 units, is the 70/SS powered by a twin-turbo 7.4-liter big block LS6 claimed to put down 1,500 hp."
    Ah hah. Twin turbo, now that makes sense.

Even though I am not a fan of it, I wouldn't mind giving something like this or even one of the factory Cobra Jets or Demons, just to see how they drive at speed.
    I've said it before most people have no idea what it's like to have that kind of HP on tap under their foot. Far too many have more money than common sense or talent

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I should probably clarify that I don't for a second think my talent is superior to many others. Just emphasizing to go that fast is nothing at all like driving any old school muscle car or even most sport cars.

In my experience launching a car with that much power is a full body experience that's not so easy to describe

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I should probably clarify that I don't for a second think my talent is superior to many others. Just emphasizing to go that fast is nothing at all like driving any old school muscle car or even most sport cars.

In my experience launching a car with that much power is a full body experience that's not so easy to describe
    Point taken. Way back in the day when I graduated from the typical "slap on a 4 barrel, aluminum intake and headers" 302 engine to a fully thought out, 475 chp 351w the additional 275 hp was eye opening. I can still remember the silly grin it gave me the first time I let it scream. One can only imagine and probably no where near accurately, the feeling of 1500 hp the first time!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Point taken. Way back in the day when I graduated from the typical "slap on a 4 barrel, aluminum intake and headers" 302 engine to a fully thought out, 475 chp 351w the additional 275 hp was eye opening. I can still remember the silly grin it gave me the first time I let it scream. One can only imagine and probably no where near accurately, the feeling of 1500 hp the first time!
    I remember when I was a bit more youthful and went through the as you put it "slap on a 4barrel, aluminum intake and headers" phase.
    Driving a car with 450-500hp is/was an eye opening experience.
    Like I said, I would like to drive one of the factory Cobra Jets or Demon or even one of those special edition Chevelle's in the article a handful of posts back. Just for the experience and for my own comparisons. I know they have a smaller tire and no doubt they aren't geared to get out of the hole as hard. So, they would have to be a different experience.

For lack of better description, it's almost startling the first time you launch a car and your vision goes blurry for a second or so before coming back into focus.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Pulled the lifters and cam out of the Mountaineer 302 tonight.

And by "pulled" I mean struggled. The lifters are hydraulic roller and have this valley in between two machined shoulders. Well apparently there was a nice ridge inside of every single bore. I had to use a pair of pliers to get them all out.

Of course I forgot to snap a picture.

My question to you all - is this common? Should I run a nylon or brass brush in each bore to clean them up and call it good, or should I be concerned?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Pulled the lifters and cam out of the Mountaineer 302 tonight.

And by "pulled" I mean struggled. The lifters are hydraulic roller and have this valley in between two machined shoulders. Well apparently there was a nice ridge inside of every single bore. I had to use a pair of pliers to get them all out.

Of course I forgot to snap a picture.

My question to you all - is this common? Should I run a nylon or brass brush in each bore to clean them up and call it good, or should I be concerned?
    Replacing the cam and lifters yes?
    Post a picture showing the ridge. It may require bushings

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Replacing the cam and lifters yes?
    Post a picture showing the ridge. It may require bushings
    I wasn't planning on replacing the lifters. I was told that, with hydraulic lifters, it's not a requirement to change them so long as the lifters are in good shape. They appear to still be in good shape.

I'll get a pic on my lunch break.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Pictures of the bore and a couple of the lifters. The ridges or deposit or whatever is coincides with the space in the middle of the lifters. 20220526_115744.jpg 20220526_115753.jpg 20220526_115744.jpg

Attachments

• 20220526_115807.jpg
      20220526_115807.jpg
      529.2 KB · Views: 4
    • 20220526_115813.jpg
      20220526_115813.jpg
      469.6 KB · Views: 4
    • 20220526_115820.jpg
      20220526_115820.jpg
      278.5 KB · Views: 4

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm in the replace them group. If they were fairly low miles I would probably reuse, but these have what 180k on them? Although it does look cleaner in there than I expected.

Nylon or brass brush chuck it up in a drill, use some kerosene or something to help cut the carbon. Are you tearing it down all the way?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I'm in the replace them group. If they were fairly low miles I would probably reuse, but these have what 180k on them? Although it does look cleaner in there than I expected.

Nylon or brass brush chuck it up in a drill, use some kerosene or something to help cut the carbon. Are you tearing it down all the way?
    Right now the only thing left in there is the pistons rods and crank.

I don't plan on removing those. Hitting those bores with a brush tonight and starting to reassemble.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Did you pull the bearing caps and see what the bearings look like.
    It didn't knock when I drove it so I'm calling it good :lmfao:
    No but really, I'm not planning on pulling anything like that. The Sloppy Mechanics way is that if you don't look at the cam bearings, then they're fine. Funny thing, I looked at the cam bearings and they looked gucci. With a lack of glitter in the oil pan, I'm gonna just assume that the bearings are all good.
    The other problem - I don't have bearings and I don't want to wait for bearings to come in. I'm so close to getting this done.
    Also, I found this yesterday and I'm not sure how I feel about it.
    20220525_205331.jpg
    20220525_205345.jpg
    Spending more money on an engine that's likely to blow up when I add boost, just sounds silly to me. Save my money for a 351 build or a good rebuild of my current forged piston engine (depending on what I find is wrong with it when I pull it).

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It didn't knock when I drove it so I'm calling it good :lmfao:
    No but really, I'm not planning on pulling anything like that. The Sloppy Mechanics way is that if you don't look at the cam bearings, then they're fine. Funny thing, I looked at the cam bearings and they looked gucci. With a lack of glitter in the oil pan, I'm gonna just assume that the bearings are all good.
    The other problem - I don't have bearings and I don't want t
    Churchmouse calls you the mad scientist... until now I mostly agreed. But the logic you are sharing here makes me think you are demented.

Putting boost to something that's likely to hang rods out of the block just doesn't make sense. Too much chance getting in your own oil and destroying a car.
    If you are just reusing everything why did you even pull the heads, cam and lifters?

Maybe I'm the odd ball here, but some y'alls logic with your builds just seems lost to me.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Churchmouse calls you the mad scientist... until now I mostly agreed. But the logic you are sharing here makes me think you are demented.

Putting boost to something that's likely to hang rods out of the block just doesn't make sense. Too much chance getting in your own oil and destroying a car.
    If you are just reusing everything why did you even pull the heads, cam and lifters?

Maybe I'm the odd ball here, but some y'alls logic with your builds just seems lost to me.
    I checked the lifters and they're not acting how the internet says they should. I hate to do it, because now I'm waiting even longer, but I'm buying lifters. It doesn't seem like anyone local has them, but I'm about to start making calls.

I pulled it all because it needed new gaskets. Also, on this design, it has some basket thing for the lifters and you can't remove that without removing the heads. And I'm changing the cam.

I mean, hopefully it doesn't blow. I'm gonna run it NA for a few weeks just to make sure it's not going to explode NA. During that time, I'll pull my engine apart and see what it needs to be rebuilt. I might rebuild it and put it back in.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I checked the lifters and they're not acting how the internet says they should. I hate to do it, because now I'm waiting even longer, but I'm buying lifters. It doesn't seem like anyone local has them, but I'm about to start making calls.

I pulled it all because it needed new gaskets. Also, on this design, it has some basket thing for the lifters and you can't remove that without removing the heads. And I'm changing the cam.

I mean, hopefully it doesn't blow. I'm gonna run it NA for a few weeks just to make sure it's not going to explode NA. During that time, I'll pull my engine apart and see what it needs to be rebuilt. I might rebuild it and put it back in.
    Good luck with it. Seriously I hope thing turn out how you'd like.
    Just seems like a whole lot of work swapping tired old engines that at least need to be freshened up

Top Bottom