• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yet strangely they did survive for a year, under gov't lockdown, competition being favored and continually promoted fear?

Like others, they came into the scamdemic and did not come out.
    Now, let's flip that coin. How many weaker businesses may have recovered rather than closing had we continued with the robust economy Trump brought us? This stands in evidence that the establishment would rather burn the place down than allow an outsider to facilitate its thriving.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Indybeerman you seem a bit triggered here. you doing ok?OK?

I'm not triggered, doing perfectly fine.

I'm just getting real tired of businesses closing because of mis-management/poor decisions being lumped in with legitimate businesses that that was shuttered because of COVID.

There's a difference, and to me it is insulting to the business owner who ran their business RIGHT and was ruined.

Fry's was not run right, they screwed it up themselves.

Chi Chi's closed in 2004, we gonna lump them into the businesses destroyed by COVID also?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

...When the COVID-19 outbreak was declared a pandemic on March 11, many local businesses were forced to close their doors. The future of Bloomington’s small businesses was, and remains, uncertain. As cases continue to climb in the state, some businesses are making the choice to close permanently. Meanwhile, several new businesses have opened during this challenging time. Below is a running list of both, which Bloom will continue to update...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

...The relaxed limits will take effect nine days before the Big Ten basketball tournament, followed the next week by the NCAA tournament. Mayor Joe Hogsett says that’s not the reason for the change...

Sure, that's believable...:rolleyes:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ...The relaxed limits will take effect nine days before the Big Ten basketball tournament, followed the next week by the NCAA tournament. Mayor Joe Hogsett says that’s not the reason for the change...

Sure, that's believable...:rolleyes:
    Unpossible. He's a democrat, and I've been told this is all a democrat plan to destroy the economy, and democrats never do anything to help the economy.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I've noticed that the abandoned Steak N' Shake on Coldwater (by Walmart) up here mysteriously opened up again.
    I heard the one in Marion opened up again as well. It was closed long before the pandemic. Big sign saying only 10k to start up and pay 50% of the profits or some such.

Did notice the last Chinese buffet in Marion has a commercial for sale sign up today.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I heard the one in Marion opened up again as well. It was closed long before the pandemic. Big sign saying only 10k to start up and pay 50% of the profits or some such.

Did notice the last Chinese buffet in Marion has a commercial for sale sign up today.
    Same here.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Every Steak N' Shake can stay closed as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure the employees would enjoy working in a better run chain restaurant.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Are you able to get stock again S.B.? I know that was a limiting factor for a while. Best of luck to you going forward.

No. I put in an order of 64 travel trailers in September to get me from November to February. I have received 5 out of the 64, one of those just arrived yesterday. I dont think I will be getting the other 59 in within the next five days.

I have left messages with nearly every RV manufacture out there and have heard back from none.

On a side note, I have had several INGO members reach out to me looking for RV's. I greatly apperciate them wanting to support my business. I only wish I had the inventory for them.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've noticed that the abandoned Steak N' Shake on Coldwater (by Walmart) up here mysteriously opened up again.

Steak and Sake was horribly managed by 's current owner after they purchased them. Several stores was closed by the board of health because of repeated violations. 71st and Binford & W. Washington & Holt Road was two of them that I remember.

They are switching from corporate owned stores to franchisee owned, after they tried to expand way to fast. Quality suffered, along with poor training of the management that came into the pipeline that also hurt front line employees.

Biglari Holdings almost ruined the company.

I also think one of their problems was bastardizing their menu with the creation of the $4 meal and then the 4 for $4 (Burger,fries,cole slaw, cookie)

The S&S near my house was one of the few in the area that did not close down, but business suffered. Not because of Covid. Always a huge line for drive through and although no dine in seating, there was a brisk TAKHOMASAK line. (carryout)

The Mooresville location re-opened some 4 months ago. I don't know if the Martinsville or Bloomington locations have re-opened.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The "old" Steak-n-Shake had decent burgers and shakes, but that's been gone for a long time. Their burgers got so thin you could almost see through them. The closest one to me (Southern Plaza for the southsiders) is still open I think, but for drive-thru only, and I rarely see cars there. They were offering free fries, no purchase necessary for awhile, but I don't know if they still are or not.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm not triggered, doing perfectly fine.

I'm just getting real tired of businesses closing because of mis-management/poor decisions being lumped in with legitimate businesses that that was shuttered because of COVID.

There's a difference, and to me it is insulting to the business owner who ran their business RIGHT and was ruined.

Fry's was not run right, they screwed it up themselves.

Chi Chi's closed in 2004, we gonna lump them into the businesses destroyed by COVID also?
    many poorly run businesses limp along until something external happens and they can't survive it.

not doubting Fry's was heading the wrong way. you just seem very annoyed by our posts

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    many poorly run businesses limp along until something external happens and they can't survive it.

not doubting Fry's was heading the wrong way. you just seem very annoyed by our posts
    I am annoyed to a extent, and yes many poorly run businesses limp along before faltering.

But I call like it is, Fry's had the grim reaper knocking on it's doors LONG before COVID, may have survived to some extent just because of what they had to sell online, because it sure wasn't what product they had in their stores.

As far as something external happening. A lot of these businesses that have been mentioned here would have went under without COVID, and that's what miffs me.
    It's real easy to blame COVID instead of placing blame where it should be, sorta like how ANTI 2ndA people always blame the gun, instead of the real reason,
    the person who pulled the trigger.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's real easy to blame COVID instead of placing blame where it should be, sorta like how ANTI 2ndA people always blame the gun, instead of the real reason,
    the person who pulled the trigger.
    To start with "COVID" has little to do with this. Government overreaction is the real issue.

You cannot NOT blame the government lockdowns, mandates and fearmongering for this. It happened and it still is.

All other circumstances may well apply, but their authenticity is clouded by the government taking away the businesses' customer.

Not sure why you think you need to involve the 2A in this discussion? Are you saying those that don't agree with you are akin to anti-gunners?

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    No. I put in an order of 64 travel trailers in September to get me from November to February. I have received 5 out of the 64, one of those just arrived yesterday. I dont think I will be getting the other 59 in within the next five days.

I have left messages with nearly every RV manufacture out there and have heard back from none.

On a side note, I have had several INGO members reach out to me looking for RV's. I greatly apperciate them wanting to support my business. I only wish I had the inventory for them.
    This is crazy to me. :n00b:

Working in Elkhart, driving through town seeing all the inventory places like Forest River have just sitting in HUGE lots, I always ask myself, where does it all go? How can there be enough buyers?

And then guys like you can't get any product to sell. It makes no sense.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    To start with "COVID" has little to do with this. Government overreaction is the real issue.

You cannot NOT blame the government lockdowns, mandates and fearmongering for this. It happened and it still is.

All other circumstances may well apply, but their authenticity is clouded by the government taking away the businesses' customer.

Not sure why you think you need to involve the 2A in this discussion? Are you saying those that don't agree with you are akin to anti-gunners?

bwframe,

My point in reference to the 2A is the left ALWAYS blames the gun, not the person who pulled the trigger.

So is this the new norm, blame every business that closes because it's COVID related instead of the real reason?

There's a HIGH percentage of small diners/bars/mom & pop stores with limited seating/occupancy still making a go of it, that have adapted and are strong.
    Just like the Cozy Table in Bloomington, great place to eat, always packed for breakfast, 45 people in that place is packed it's so small.

We need to start placing blame on a lot of these places that have closed, on the real root cause.

They was teetering on the edge, and if you're that close to the edge, your operational savvy as a business owner maybe is not so good.

Blaming Fry's closing is a perfect example, that place was going to go out of business regardless of COVID. Like I said, when me and my cousins son was in there in September,
    our thoughts was how long before they shutter the place down , not are they going to pull through.

Gary Brackette's Stacked Pickle closing is a another example of this. They had moved the Westfield location TWICE, that's not cheap, because of low crowd flow issues. And he had been discussing issues MID MARCH with his advisors about the the restaurants. If you're depending on crowds that rely on a sporting event to save your arse, you already have issues, and yes there was issues, per my sources in the business, beer and liquor distributors had put him on cash only on delivery. That means you've bounced two checks within 30 days.
    Trust me, I know a thing or two about the beer business from being in Sales/actual delivery/logistics and many other facets of the trade by being in it over 28 years.

Top Bottom