• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Okay. Hold on. Here's where you're losing me. You seem to be taking the opposite extreme, that no businesses are being affected due to just covid, that if they go under during covid, they'd have gone under anyway. Kinda like the "only old people are dying; they'd have died anyway" argument.

My favorite theater is out of business and they were doing quite well financially before all this. They were making **** tons of money. Their business dried up immediately with shutdowns. It's fair to say that it was at least as much fear of covid keeping people away as it was being shut down for however many months that was. After restrictions lifted theaters all over opened, and many closed again because no one was going to theaters. But it does not sound to me like that's not what you're saying. I don't see how one can't acknowledge that covid has indeed prevented many businesses from doing any business, and that situation can't possibly be sustained long term by even solid businesses.
    Business have been affected, movie theaters being one of them.

But BW has posted about a lot businesses that was going to go under even if there was no Covid Pandemic.

Fry's Electronics, they had no product to sell, every distributor had cut them off, and Fry's could not even convince them to work with them on a consignment basis.
    This had happened well before Covid, just happen to close the doors during it, so let's blame Covid.

Stacked Pickle John's Famous Stews and Claddagh had obtained a debit ratio that was never going to be overcome unless someone like Marcus Lemonis came along and infused a metric :poop: ton of money to re-float ship.

John's was a combination of the passing of the owner and losing a LOT of their walk in business due to Lilly's (Across the street) moving their main campus 2 miles farther south on Kentucky Ave, and IPL/AES (next door) consolidated a lot of their operations out of state. Both well before Covid.

I have never said that businesses have not been affected or closed because of Covid. I have railed about businesses that are being lumped in with legitimate closings.

There is a difference, and it is a slap in the face to every business owner who had to close because of Covid.
    Mismanagement and bad decisions are preventable, closing because of Pandemic is not.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Business have been affected, movie theaters being one of them.

But BW has posted about a lot businesses that was going to go under even if there was no Covid Pandemic.

Fry's Electronics, they had no product to sell, every distributor had cut them off, and Fry's could not even convince them to work with them on a consignment basis.
    This had happened well before Covid, just happen to close the doors during it, so let's blame Covid.

Stacked Pickle John's Famous Stews and Claddagh had obtained a debit ratio that was never going to be overcome unless someone like Marcus Lemonis came along and infused a metric :poop: ton of money to re-float ship.

John's was a combination of the passing of the owner and losing a LOT of their walk in business due to Lilly's (Across the street) moving their main campus 2 miles farther south on Kentucky Ave, and IPL/AES (next door) consolidated a lot of their operations out of state. Both well before Covid.

I have never said that businesses have not been affected or closed because of Covid. I have railed about businesses that are being lumped in with legitimate closings.

There is a difference, and it is a slap in the face to every business owner who had to close because of Covid.
    Mismanagement and bad decisions are preventable, closing because of Pandemic is not.

Let's just rewind and see. Would there be any business closures when you take the scamdemic lockdowns away?

Probably, but since it's not possible to take the lockdowns away, YOU cannot really know. Since YOU cannot provide closed businesses with customers, employees and revenue that was forcibly taken away by government overreach to evaluate YOU cannot actually know.

YOU may be correct in that a business or even a few may well have been on the precipice of failure. Sadly though, YOU are guessing. :tantrum:

Your argument is along the same lines as being a little pregnant. Pregnant is pregnant and business closed is business closed.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Let's just rewind and see. Would there be any business closures when you take the scamdemic lockdowns away?

Probably, but since it's not possible to take the lockdowns away, YOU cannot really know. Since YOU cannot provide closed businesses with customers, employees and revenue that was forcibly taken away by government overreach to evaluate YOU cannot actually know.

YOU may be correct in that a business or even a few may well have been on the precipice of failure. Sadly though, YOU are guessing.
    :tantrum:

Your argument is along the same lines as being a little pregnant. Pregnant is pregnant and business closed is business closed.
    Well BW, here's the thing, not really guessing. 31 years in the alcoholic beverage field as a salesman, driver and some other functions, I still have a TON of people that I know.
    When I'm able get info that a beverage distributor has put a business on Cash On Delivery, that means EVERY beer/liquor distributor has them on it. They'll bounce a check to food provider way before they bounce one to a alcoholic beverage distributor. Rule of thumb is you don't stiff your alcoholic bevarage distribtor, it throws up a red flag that you're really in trouble. The vast majority of those businessare DOA in 6 months because they just have too much debt. Stacked Pickle John's Famous Stews and Claddagh ALL had money issues well before March of last year and would have needed that metric :poop: load of money to fix it. There were no Investors left willing to throw money at the likes of Stacked Pickle and Claddagh.

My point is, and you just fail to fathom it, not every business that has closed was due to Covid. I have acknowledged businesses have have struggled & also closed due to this, was it totally Covid related some yes, some no. But you're just lumping them all into the bin of "Closed because of Covid"

BTW, you failed up thread of answering my question about the Cozy Table there in Bloomington.
    Small restaurant that didn't have a whole lot of seating available to begin with. and with the seating restrictions that was imposed, by your standards should be closed and boarded up.
    The last info I had is that they're still a pretty strong viable business, kicking butt and filling food orders.

Also, you're not really pregnant until you get a real verifiable test, because you know there's a ton of girls/women out there that thought they was pregnant because of a false positive. Because, you know those store kits are just absolutely 100% reliable.

But to end this, a business closed is not necessarily a business that was closed because of Covid, it just happened to close during this event, and all should not be lumped into a single category which you seem to doing.

Oh, by the way, we're still awaiting the reason behind the whole VCU thing being classified by you as "businesses destroyed" thing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well BW, here's the thing, not really guessing. 31 years in the alcoholic beverage field as a salesman, driver and some other functions, I still have a TON of people that I know.... ...blah, blah, blah

None of that matters. The minute the government locked down the business' ability to control their own fate through their own action is the minute government assumed all responsibility.

You can't reel back in the government lockdown to figure if your speculations are true or not.

Simple as that.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    None of that matters. The minute the government locked down the business' ability to control their own fate through their own action is the minute government assumed all responsibility.

You can't reel back in the government lockdown to figure if your speculations are true or not.

Simple as that.

A lot of the "scamdemic" skeptics like to say, well, it's just hitting the elderly and people with preexisting conditions, so they probably died from those other conditions. They were close to death anyway. Isn't IB's argument very similar to that? Those businesses were close to death anyway. And there's some truth to that. You post as if you're certain that but for the lockdowns those businesses would remain. Okay, so you come across a guy who has a likelihood of knowing some inside information about the financial state of some of these businesses. Yet you maintain the certainty.

And then when you have to acknowledge that he probably knows more about why they had to quit than you do, you break out the "none of that matters". Well. If you come across a dying animal in the forest and you shoot it, it doesn't matter how it got to that point, you're the one who killed it. That's kinda your argument here.

I'll give you this though. It's at least a little true, but so is IB's argument. Forcing those failing businesses to lock down was probably what did them in. But to IB's point they were on their way out anyway. So it's not that the government bears all the responsibility for the failed buinesses, but to the extent that they finished it off they are responsible for that. Unless you think the dying animal in the forest would have lived a long life. Probably those failing business owners played the lottery. They could have won and saved their business.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    A lot of the "scamdemic" skeptics like to say, well, it's just hitting the elderly and people with preexisting conditions, so they probably died from those other conditions. They were close to death anyway. Isn't IB's argument very similar to that? Those businesses were close to death anyway. And there's some truth to that. You post as if you're certain that but for the lockdowns those businesses would remain. Okay, so you come across a guy who has a likelihood of knowing some inside information about the financial state of some of these businesses. Yet you maintain the certainty.

And then when you have to acknowledge that he probably knows more about why they had to quit than you do, you break out the "none of that matters". Well. If you come across a dying animal in the forest and you shoot it, it doesn't matter how it got to that point, you're the one who killed it. That's kinda your argument here.

I'll give you this though. It's at least a little true, but so is IB's argument. Forcing those failing businesses to lock down was probably what did them in. But to IB's point they were on their way out anyway. So it's not that the government bears all the responsibility for the failed buinesses, but to the extent that they finished it off they are responsible for that. Unless you think the dying animal in the forest would have lived a long life. Probably those failing business owners played the lottery. They could have won and saved their business.
    Well said Jamil, well said.

After reading your post, I'm renaming BW's thought process the Cumo Analogy.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Annnnd here we go again with more of the :bs:

The last 3 businesses, I have no clue, maybe, maybe not.

But Fry's and Family Video,

Fry's we've danced around on this and it was not COVID that cause their demise.

Family Video was going the way of the Dodo. Online streaming had eroded the vast majority of their base for years and had been closing stores. Heck they even tried to prop up rentals by actually leasing out half of each stores floor space to put business in that would help drive in foot traffic. Just like the Mooresville, Indiana location did by leasing out half of the building to a Marcos Pizza.

Why rent a DVD when you can watch it on Netflix, Amazon and others for a cheaper cost and you don't have to go drive there to rent it.
    Geez, this business model was showing its age back in 2010 when Blockbuster went under.

Covid did'nt kill them, Amazon Prime video, Netflix, Hulu along with other technology was the reason for their demise.
    Oh, almost forgot, FV closed their doors in FEBRUARY 2020, a full month before the pandemic, guess the star forgot to mention that, just make its seem like they closed Feb 2021 to fit the agenda.

After further reading of the article....

Mass Avenue Toys
    "We're retiring with 40 years (and some change) in the toy industry under our belts, It was time to sit on the floor and play with her grandkids."
    "She didn't say what spurred the retirement announcement."

You think it just might actually be because they was financially secure and wanted to enjoy life and enjoy the grand kids?

But they closed during COVID, so that must be the reason for it.

Costume by Maggie....
    "In the interview, Harmon said the costume shop had been struggling for at least six years, (6) mostly due to increased competition from the internet and wholesalers directly selling to the customers."

Hmmmm, struggling for 6 years, due to increased competition

But once again, they closed during COVID, so that must be reason for it.

Got any more Cumo? Because this is starting to look like a bad joke attributed to Casey Kasem's quote of "keep reaching for the stars."

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hey I got a question....

Last summer I was thinking of trying to start a lawn mowing business since my health has prevented me from working a traditional job.

Since I didn't have enough finances and not good enough health......

Would that qualify it as "Businesses Destroyed by Lockdown"?

Because you know COVID was a full blown thing that was going on at the time.

My apologies to anyone who is reading this thread who has been seriously affected by this, just trying to get a point across that there was businesses that closed,
    that COVID had nothing to do with it and it seems to some that it's more convenient to place blame on COVID, than the real root of it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Last summer I was thinking of trying to start a lawn mowing business since my health has prevented me from working a traditional job.

Since I didn't have enough finances
    Not to drift the thread too much, but you don't need much capital to start a lawn mowing business. All you need to get started is a lawnmower and a quarter gallon of gas. I had my own lawn cutting business when I was 10.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not to drift the thread too much, but you don't need much capital to start a lawn mowing business. All you need to get started is a lawnmower and a quarter gallon of gas. I had my own lawn cutting business when I was 10.
    Well it's little more that. Trying to push mowing a 1 acre lot when you can't walk too great post stroke is not a option, and besides when was the last time you push mowed 1 acre and how long did it take you? I can give a hint, 17 years ago (when I was 42) before my ZTR was delivered, I had to push mow my 1.2 acre lot, self propelled mower on the highest speed I could cut the grass good, took 3 hours. I've mowed my yard in less than 30 minutes with my now in-repairable ZTR.

Still hoping to do this, got a lot of neighbors willing to pay to save them the hassle of mowing.
    I always thought it was relaxing to putter around and mow.

I've had the trailer for 13 years, but 54-60 inch ZTR's are not cheap and they have a thirst for go-go juice.
    Still got the problem of figuring how to get on/easy, working on that left leg strength.

But hey, my dreams and business aspirations was squashed last year. so should it be classified as a business destroyed? Covid was going on right?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a guy mow some of my properties. They are multi-unit. Takes no time to do it, but when I do the tenants come out to jaw jack.

Last year I was told I needed to use a guy that has insurance. Well now he does it thru a different comp-any and I pay a little extra. Residentials wouldn't be as much of a problem, but since I am an LLC they warned against it.

Silly rules

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Again, and again and again...

Even though we have tried and tried to tell the MF'er to stop his power trip and do his job...

Is our tax money being used so this POS can sue our legislature that has clearly spoken? Twice, overriding the power monger's veto?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom