The nothing to do with politics, feel good, wholesome fun, distraction from insanity thread

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Every time I watch one of these I am in awe! They are the real life representation of what I saw in my mind's eye as a child reading golden age science fiction. Wow, just wow.

Wait until the next Heavy launch when they land the outboard boosters simultaneously. The first one of those I watched, I just kept replaying.

I cannot wait until the first all up Starship launch. (though to be honest I am a little suspicious the recovery mechanism is going to work)
    I tried to take off work for the original launch of spaceship one. Instead I watched it live in our office at Eli Lilly's with 8 others. Only one of which understood what it actually meant. Burt Rutan is likely my only hero that has never let me down.
    The flight of Mike Melville...it was more than than just the first private space flight. The engine cowling buckled(we found out about a month later from Burt Rutan),and Mike made the call to keep the throttle up. 17 seconds of rolling at full power was certainly not in the script(1:10 into the video). He would/did not cut power until he confirmed he would reach altitude. Making him the 435th human to reach space.

It did not happen over night either. here is the history behind that flight. I believe it was the 58th flight. Of which Mike flew in all of either as the pilot or co-pilot(all but 3 if I remember correctly). He moved on to be the general manager of Scaled composites a few months later(after training other pilots to fly spaceship one and two).

http://www.astronautix.com/s/spaceshipone.html

2004 September 29 - . 15:09 GMT - . Launch Site: Mojave. Launch Complex: Mojave RW12/30. Launch Platform: WK1. LV Family: SpaceShip. Launch Vehicle: Spaceship One.
    • SpaceShipOne Flight 16P - X-Prize Flight 1 - . Nation: USA. Agency: Scaled. Apogee: 103 km (64 mi).
      SpaceShipOne coasted to 103 km altitude and successfully completed the first of two X-Prize flights. The motor was shut down when the pilot noted that his altitude predictor exceeded the required 100 km mark. The motor burn lasted 77 seconds, 1 second longer than on the June 21st flight. Melvill was prepared to burn the motor up to 89 seconds, which indicates significant additional performance remains in SS1. During the motor burn the spacecraft began to roll uncontrollably, but Melvill pressed on despite advice from the ground to shut the motor down and abort the attempt.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    7 years old grandson’s birthday party.. his uncle bought him a gillie suit
    It was also a nerf dart hunting game with deer positioned around the house .. then it became shoot the gillie kid.. out of 200 darts I bought we found all but 17.
    View attachment 253175
    Impressive. I’m still finding darts from the basement wars we had when my kid was young.

Top Bottom